Outlook Bleak for Illinois Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Illinois first needs to establish that women's sports actually matter to the university and the fanbase. This they have not yet done, and haven't for most of 40 years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting that they might lose their best player, Chatrice White, because the school is being too hard on the coaches.

The Whites also said that Chatrice may “need to consider other options where coaches can coach and false allegations will not result in the dismissal of a great coach.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting that they might lose their best player, Chatrice White, because the school is being too hard on the coaches.

The Whites also said that Chatrice may “need to consider other options where coaches can coach and false allegations will not result in the dismissal of a great coach.”
Chatrice White can ball. Supporting the coaches in the matter means she is opposing at least some of her teammates, either way she is gone IMO. Would UCONN be interested?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Chatrice White can ball. Supporting the coaches in the matter means she is opposing at least some of her teammates, either way she is gone IMO. Would UCONN be interested?
No idea. But as has been said on here, UCONN very seldom take in transfers. And I don't remember them have any interest during the recruiting process. Either way.

Reaction Score
Have there been any current players (or family members) who have spoken out against Bollant et al.? I haven't seen that. White (or really her father) has gone on the record opposing her former teammates, but not current ones. So I'm not sure I'd agree that she's gone either way. I think if Bollant somehow survives this, she won't go anywhere.

For the record, White reportedly picked Illinois over Nebraska, Oklahoma State, and Purdue. She had a number of other offers, of course.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have there been any current players (or family members) who have spoken out against Bollant et al.?
Trying to remember what I read to answer your question. 8 Player joined the suit. Are all 8 "former" players meaning they exhausted eligibility or made a decison before the suit to transfer?
If the answer to that is yes then White will not have to return to teammates involved in the suit. Now, this is the point I was really trying to make. The allegations are pretty public and cut and dry IMO. So either the coach had segregated practices, and segragated hotel rooms or he did not. If you were on the team last year you would know also. White knows and has picked a side. Every returning player will have to make up thier mind and pick a side. Some maybe on the opposite side of White. I still don't see how the coach survives this. $10 Mil in potential damages plus the legal fees ~=10 Years budget for WBB team? Am I far of in that calculation?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Trying to remember what I read to answer your question. 8 Player joined the suit. Are all 8 "former" players meaning they exhausted eligibility or made a decison before the suit to transfer?
If the answer to that is yes then White will not have to return to teammates involved in the suit. Now, this is the point I was really trying to make. The allegations are pretty public and cut and dry IMO. So either the coach had segregated practices, and segragated hotel rooms or he did not. If you were on the team last year you would know also. White knows and has picked a side. Every returning player will have to make up thier mind and pick a side. Some maybe on the opposite side of White. I still don't see how the coach survives this. $10 Mil in potential damages plus the legal fees ~=10 Years budget for WBB team? Am I far of in that calculation?
If I understood one of the articles correctly, the practices referred to were punishment practices that the coach was running because he thought the players (apparently non-starters) either needed more practice or were not trying hard enough. The "segregated" aspect of it was that the players in the practice apparently were mostly black and the players who were in favor - and not in the practice -were mostly white. As opposed to the segregated hotel rooms.

As to White's situation, well, if you were one of the players "in favor" and getting the benefit out of the system, then you might very well be supporting the coach.

I don't think there is any question that there was some poor coaching decisions going on - if they were racially motivated, as far as I am concerned he is an instant "got to go". If otherwise, then he needs to be judged by the inappropriateness of whatever he exactly did.

Reaction Score

All the players involved in the lawsuit had already left the team before these allegations arose. I agree with you that the allegations do seem cut and dry. But White's father has specifically denied the alleged segregated hotel rooms. I believe he said the room assignments were made at random. Is it possible that the plaintiffs' allegations are at least partly fabricated? Also, that $10 million figure made headlines, but there's little chance they'd get that much, if the suit does go forward. I've seen articles quoting law experts saying the suit isn't that strong and could even be immediately dismissed by a judge. There was an article today suggesting this be resolved quickly via a settlement, depending on what the plaintiffs are actually after.

With Mike Divilbiss, ex-assistant coach and reportedly the main offender, already pushed out the door, would they insist on the departure of Bollant and a modest financial settlement? Or would they require the ouster of AD Mike Thomas as well?

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/football/2015-07-13/tate-damaging-scandals-await-resolutions.html

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The CNN article/video you posted stated that the accusations had expanded to the football team and another sports team. IMO that puts the AD at risk. I should have said "some" of the accusations were cut and dry other like the East side Ghetto (his may not be an exact quote by matches the evil intent) would be more offensive and harder to prove. White caught my eye during the McDonalds AA game,she ( along with Alyssa Rice-KY) where the best post prospect in that game. I caught a couple of her college game enough to know that she shoots the occasional 3 with pretty good accuracy still solid post defender and good variety of offensive post move & a good passer.
I am somewhat conflicted by the father speaking up in support of the coach. I'll give him credit for speaking up for now and reserve judgement until more information is available.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The law firm hired by the University found the allegations to be unfounded.

Reaction Score
You are right--there apparently is not way for the coach to survive this mess. Legal fee will come, regardless of whether the suit goes forward. The major fallacy of our Legal system is the cost to defend oneself is so high and the rewards for starting an apparent Frivolous suit is so large justice isn't considered. Segregation, like all things humans see or don't see, may be fact or perception. Today courts tend to accept perception in some cases as fact. As a devils advocate, I can see possibilities of perceived segregated practices or hotel rooms as matters of convenience to the players or specialized training--as that advocate, things rarely ever are as they may seem, at the moment, especially if ANGER or INSULT are part of the mix.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I can see possibilities of perceived segregated hotel rooms

Apparently the allegation that players were segregated by room assignments in hotel rooms was easily investigated and disproved by available evidence. The review appears to have been very thorough as measured by number of interviews and documents. The most severe finding was there had been excessive negativity (none racial) by the coaches.

Reminded me of what Jerry Kramer once said about Vince Lombardi:

"Coach Lombardi treats all of us [players] the same - like dogs!"

Well, nobody ever sued Vince for discrimination.

Reaction Score
If I understood one of the articles correctly, the practices referred to were punishment practices that the coach was running because he thought the players (apparently non-starters) either needed more practice or were not trying hard enough. The "segregated" aspect of it was that the players in the practice apparently were mostly black and the players who were in favor - and not in the practice -were mostly white. As opposed to the segregated hotel rooms.

As to White's situation, well, if you were one of the players "in favor" and getting the benefit out of the system, then you might very well be supporting the coach.

I don't think there is any question that there was some poor coaching decisions going on - if they were racially motivated, as far as I am concerned he is an instant "got to go". If otherwise, then he needs to be judged by the inappropriateness of whatever he exactly did.
If anything these coaches or coach did was "racially motivated" they either live on the moon, are arrogant, ignorant -- not to know the racially charged atmosphere that came after the MURDER of 9 of Charleston's best citizens. Being a naive Connectictut kid I always hope for the positive side of these situations--as a WHiTE guy I've perceived many injustices happening to me--some rightly so--I love all the young women who play basketball, yes a jerk here and there, but most are working hard for our pleasure of watching them play.
Why in Gods terribly mixed up world would any AMERICAN coach create a racially unjust atmosphere?????

Reaction Score
Apparently the allegation that players were segregated by room assignments in hotel rooms was easily investigated and disproved by available evidence. The review appears to have been very thorough as measured by number of interviews and documents. The most severe finding was there had been excessive negativity (none racial) by the coaches.

Reminded me of what Jerry Kramer once said about Vince Lombardi:

"Coach Lombardi treats all of us [players] the same - like dogs!" Even today this is fair treatment--bad treatment to all. But he'd still probably be sued. We are a more litigious society today.

Well, nobody ever sued Vince for discrimination.
Different times, different motivations, difference level of acceptance.

I thank you for the pleasant memories of a time gone by.

Reaction Score
. . .
Why in Gods terribly mixed up world would any AMERICAN coach create a racially unjust atmosphere?????

Perhaps Coach Bollant didn't. Perception is not necessarily reality. We need
to see how this all plays out. Stay tuned.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
U of I has investigated itself and determined that it is innocent of all charges. There. That should wrap it up. Yeah, right.

Perhaps U of I is taking lessons from UNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom