Our womens WC team | The Boneyard

Our womens WC team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hoping you are referring to the on field performance. They were slow to start as Solo baled them out (don't agree with the decision to keep her on the team; but, she is amazing in net). Both the ref and Australia tired in the second half and the US pulled ahead. Needed those 3 points with Sweden next.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Got a big result from Nigeria tying Sweden as well. Hope Morgan get healthy enough to play soon. She didn't start today and without her, it's going to be hard for them to win it all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hoping you are referring to the on field performance.
Couldn't have been. They did not play very well. Got completely overrun in the midfield during the first half. Luckily Han's sister kept us in the game until the Aussies tired. They need to improve a lot of the French and Japanese will rip us to shreds.

Reaction Score
Couldn't have been. They did not play very well. Got completely overrun in the midfield during the first half. Luckily Han's sister kept us in the game until the Aussies tired. They need to improve a lot of the French and Japanese will rip us to shreds.

The US won a lot of the 50/50 balls due to their physical play; but, their passing was a mess for most of the game. Any idea what the completion percentage was? They also lost people way too often on the far post and were lucky that it only cost them 1 goal. Rapinoe was a machine. Wambach looked of her game and missed a diving header that was makeable. Some of the kids need to step up.

Was not that impressed with Japan in their game versus the Swiss. Do want to see the Germans and French play.

Really concerned about the US's next match versus Sweden. Luckily, I think they just need to draw their next two games to get in. Sweden tying Nigeria was a gift

Reaction Score
Teams are always a little off in the first game.

Wambach is really rusty.

Oh and Australia is pissed. This article is delusional.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...-4-things-we-learnt/5zhe8bs8l5v91qy1k44rpoc3e

1: The USA, well, they just aren’t that good

The US certainly like to talk a good game. The reality is they play a fairly rudimentary, bog-standard 4-4-2, were short of ideas going forward and outmanoeuvred tactically. ‘Play it long and look for the head of Wambach’ seems the default game-plan for a team stuck in the past.

World football has moved, in case Jill Ellis hasn’t noticed. US were outplayed by a better, smarter footballing side – who were also without two certain starters in Polkinghorne and keeper Williams – before the Aussies ran out of gas.

US relied on the individual brilliance of Megan Rapinoe to win them this game. And Hope Solo in the US goal saved the Americans on numerous occasions in front of a vocal ‘home’ crowd in Canada. If it wasn’t for this world-class keeper, this could’ve been a different result.

Read more at http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...5zhe8bs8l5v91qy1k44rpoc3e#fcJpaHDW1M7rObsH.99

Reaction Score
Teams are always a little off in the first game.

Wambach is really rusty.

Oh and Australia is pissed. This article is delusional.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...-4-things-we-learnt/5zhe8bs8l5v91qy1k44rpoc3e

The US certainly like to talk a good game. The reality is they play a fairly rudimentary, bog-standard 4-4-2, were short of ideas going forward and outmanoeuvred tactically. ‘Play it long and look for the head of Wambach’ seems the default game-plan for a team stuck in the past.

World football has moved, in case Jill Ellis hasn’t noticed. US were outplayed by a better, smarter footballing side – who were also without two certain starters in Polkinghorne and keeper Williams – before the Aussies ran out of gas.

US relied on the individual brilliance of Megan Rapinoe to win them this game. And Hope Solo in the US goal saved the Americans on numerous occasions in front of a vocal ‘home’ crowd in Canada. If it wasn’t for this world-class keeper, this could’ve been a different result.

Read more at http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...5zhe8bs8l5v91qy1k44rpoc3e#fcJpaHDW1M7rObsH.99

The only thing of significance I got from this article is that "learnt" is actually a word. Lol @ aussie journos

Reaction Score
Teams are always a little off in the first game. Oh and Australia is pissed.
So, no excuses. For more than a few too many Aussies, that's SNAFU.

Beauty's in the eyes of the beholder, but was it a warm day wherever the US beat the waltzing Matildas? If not, what part of hot applies to the US team? Was it the inexplicably fluorescent, bright green socks worn by the US?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

That's pretty damn accurate. Not sure about "aren't", but definitely "weren't".

USA had Rapinoe and Solo and was better conditioned. Other than that, Aussies were better.

Reaction Score
That's pretty damn accurate. Not sure about "aren't", but definitely "weren't".

USA had Rapinoe and Solo and was better conditioned. Other than that, Aussies were better.

Aussie FA on the Lincoln Assasination: "Proud day for the President's plucky security detail, they just came up a little bit short".

Reaction Score
I have trouble rooting for them because they are starting Solo, can't stand that woman.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have trouble rooting for them because they are starting Solo, can't stand that woman.
Rapinoe is my favorite WNT player, so I was fine with last night. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Aussie FA on the Lincoln Assasination: "Proud day for the President's plucky security detail, they just came up a little bit short".
Truth is truth.

Reaction Score
I just thought that Australia looked like the USMNT in many performances. They get behind, then control possession and pass the ball around. But never have enough to close the deal. I think Australia will get smoked against Nigeria and Sweden. They probably burned too many matches against the US.

FTR I don't think the Lady Von Trapps will win this one.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I never understood the comment about not being able to play all 90 minutes competitively when critiquing teams. My wife was sitting and watching some of the Japan-Swiss game with me last night after the US game. She played and still plays soccer. The commentator said that the Swiss are a good team but didn't think they could play all 90 minutes competitively. My wife blurts out, "It's your job to play soccer. How can you NOT play 90 minutes hard when this is what you do??" I had to agree. What kind of commentary is that?

Reaction Score
Glad some of you picked up on the sarcasm, but I thought we got better as the game went and I think we will be even better against Sweden. I do think our defense is suspect, hopefully they can shore up the back line.
I am willing to bet that Sweden may be a little tired after that game with the super eagles.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I never understood the comment about not being able to play all 90 minutes competitively when critiquing teams. My wife was sitting and watching some of the Japan-Swiss game with me last night after the US game. She played and still plays soccer. The commentator said that the Swiss are a good team but didn't think they could play all 90 minutes competitively. My wife blurts out, "It's your job to play soccer. How can you NOT play 90 minutes hard when this is what you do??" I had to agree. What kind of commentary is that?
It's really pretty simple. And accurate. And good commentary. The differences in fitness is huge between a lot of the teams. And is/can be very crucial in who wins. It's not so much being able to play 90 minutes at a competitive level, it's being able to play 90 minutes at the level of your opponent. All the teams are fit, some are just fitter. Being able to take it up a notch, or maintain the intensity later in the game can be the difference between winning and losing.

Take the USA-Australia game. The Aussies were able to use a high press and completely dominate the USA early in the game. However, as the game wore on, they backed off the pressure (couldn't maintain it), and the USA took control of the game. But while the Aussies could match USA's fitness, they outplayed the USA. It was the USA's fitness (not necessarily soccer skills) that won them the game. That and of course some individual brilliance from Rapinoe and Solo.

When the USA goes up against some of the more fitter teams, they may have trouble.

Reaction Score
It's really pretty simple. And accurate. And good commentary. The differences in fitness is huge between a lot of the teams. And is/can be very crucial in who wins. It's not so much being able to play 90 minutes at a competitive level, it's being able to play 90 minutes at the level of your opponent. All the teams are fit, some are just fitter. Being able to take it up a notch, or maintain the intensity later in the game can be the difference between winning and losing.

Take the USA-Australia game. The Aussies were able to use a high press and completely dominate the USA early in the game. However, as the game wore on, they backed off the pressure (couldn't maintain it), and the USA took control of the game. But while the Aussies could match USA's fitness, they outplayed the USA. It was the USA's fitness (not necessarily soccer skills) that won them the game. That and of course some individual brilliance from Rapinoe and Solo.

When the USA goes up against some of the more fitter teams, they may have trouble.

There is a huge budget disparity between nations. USWNT, France, Germany etc.. probably have some of the best experts and technology in the world at their disposal.

The other aspect is depth. Our subs are probably starting for many other teams. Other nations don't have that.

I think Australia blew their wad against the US. I think that they will lose their other group games.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, it sounds like Pia Sundhage is trying to pull a Geno.

It's a good thing U.S. midfielder Carli Lloyd has, as she said, gone "off the grid" for the entire month of the Women's World Cup. If Lloyd was reading newspapers or scrolling the Internet or clicking through Twitter, she might come across a mind-rattling comment made by her former United States women's national team coach.

"Carli Lloyd was a challenge to coach, by the way. When she felt that we had faith in her, she could be one of the best players,'' Pia Sundhage was quoted as saying in a story published Wednesday by The New York Times. "But if she began to question that faith, she could be one of the worst,'' Sundhage said, adding for extra emphasis: "It was so delicate, so, so delicate.''

For Sundhage, the "singing" coach now at the helm for her native Sweden, it's clear that the tune she's dialed up for Lloyd and the Americans is John Lennon's "Mind Games.''

Reaction Score
It's been entertaining too. Poor Ivory Coast...after getting shallacked by Germany they played Thailand. I had it on in the background before switching to Chile - Ecuador Copa America game. It was one of the most entertaining, wide open things I had seen. It definitely was NOT good soocer by any definition, but 2 equally bad teams that were busting their arses, fighting for every loose ball, and competing hard every step of the way. Ivory Coast hit the posts at least 5 times, missed a point black shot (6 yards away w/ 2/3rds of the goal wide open), gave up the most ridiculous goal I've ever seen, and lost by a goal. Amazing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom