Our three point shooting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Our three point shooting

Reaction Score
Luckily we have Guards who are good rebounders. We've also been known to focus on guarding the 3-point shot against good shooting teams. Having Clingan under the basket also makes it easier to play up on shooters. Bama likes to run and take early shots from the perimeter, a combo that could work in to our advantage.

Reaction Score
I predict we get back on track as a collective group from 3 next week... We do that, we're really hard to beat... I don't care who's left

Reaction Score
I predict we get back on track as a collective group from 3 next week... We do that, we're really hard to beat... I don't care who's left
Hopefully, now that the issue with the basketballs is being publicized, someone will make sure the F4 balls are inflated correctly.
If not, both sides will probably shoot poorly.

Reaction Score
They're different teams, but Illinois played them close twice, once without Shannon.

Purdue is a step above Illinois. But, now that we have our full team playing, Purdue is closer to Illinois than they are to us. Doesn't mean we can't lose, but we're reasonably the favorites.

Reaction Score
Alabama had the same brand balls and shot good right? UConn defense is at a level that is unworldly and Hurley and his father are on the same page with this. One article said that Bob Sr. and wife was going to Disney World until Friday because his wife got the dates mixed up with Easter being so early but, he will phone for a very “long conversation” midweek before going out to Phoenix.
Luke and Kimani have the offensive and defensive schemes already worked out and I’m sure they have included both Purdue and NC State. Our staff and team are hyper focused and the players who celebrated last year have made it clear that if they too want to enjoy that there are no shortcuts.
Some of this is in the hands of the refs but effort wise we do not have to worry, then we’ll see.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I don't understand why leagues change balls as frequently as they do. It seems like the only sport that doesn't screw with the ball is the NFL
Hmmm.... Inflategate and the Patriots?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Illinios is as good as Purdue. At least close. Marquette too.
This is like the reverse Brad Underwood when he said "UConn isn't anything we haven't seen before in the B1G". Don't overlook them. Not saying we can't beat them, but they are an elite offensive team.

Purdue is in another class above Illinois and 2 above Marquette. Because of Edey's dominance in the post, their 3 point shooting often goes overlooked.

They shoot 40.6% from 3 as a team, and have 4 players with 50+ made 3's shooting at minimum 35.5%. We only have 3 guys who have made over 50 3's and only 2 (Karaban and Spencer) are over 35.5%.

I've seen a lot of UConn fans on Twitter overlooking this as well. If that ends up being the title game, it's going to be a close game throughout.

Reaction Score
Are you guys serious with this overinflated balls thing? Overinflated balls causing bad shooting? LOL.

Reaction Score
I was thinking during the last game and our bad 3 point shooting, that it might be likely that we set an odd record of missing the most threes in tournament history!? I would think most teams that take a lot of threes and miss a lot of threes don't even make the final four. I did a quick Google, but couldn't find the record for most missed threes in an NCAA tournament.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Curious if the data suggests a bigger deviation at particular sights than others, or is it pretty much same across the board
I looked at it but I feel like the sample size is a bit too small to make any large inferences. So it's possible. I tried to look into a deviation from mean here too but it's too sensitive to one or two bad efforts (e.g. Marquette's 4/31 game really tanked the South Regional's %).

Collectively, the teams in the Midwest shoot the three (on the season) better than teams in the East, but I didn't adjust for volume of 3's attempted.

3FG3FGA%
East RegionalBostonUConnIllinoisIowa StateSDSU3913030.00%
West RegionalLAUNCArizonaAlabamaClemson6017334.68%
Midwest RegionalDetroitPurdueGonzagaCreightonTennessee5112740.16%
South RegionalDallasHoustonDukeNC StateMarquette2911225.89%

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
When you're destroying teams the way we've been destroying teams, I just don't see any weakness

We're destroying teams, what more can we do?
Make 1 extra pass at the perimeter prior to shooting any 3-pointer (unless completely open at or en route to the basket) 5 times in a row after any instance of missing 3 consecutive 'open-enough' outside shots.

Shooting percentages from 2 and/or 3 will improve; defense will set up better; opponents will get rattled, tired, & demoralized; fans will be delighted; non-partisan media & observers will be wowed; and haters will still have their opportunity to hate hate hate.

It starts with defense, not self-forced offense.

Don't do the opponents' heavy-lifting for them. Don't gift them with something that looks and feels like a 'normal' high-level game. They already know they can do that well enough to get to the Final Four.

Points will naturally follow. In bunches. Highlight reel stuff. Raceways, throw down dunks, and alley oops. Even the distant daggers that are deferred until the opponent is dizzied and drained by the effort they've expended by having to guard so many different players in so many different ways.

We have already seen this enough to know it works. This is what flips the switch.

Viewers at every level of experience and knowledge deserve to see what UConn is & does.

Let those who are disrupted, delusional, or in denial go at their own pace, but not to the detriment of UConn pursuing its patient, persistent path.

I am enjoying the ride and want others too as well. A man who is disgruntled by a 30-0 run can find fellow travelers, even on this board. Past a certain, simple point, he cannot be my concern.

Go Huskies!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is like the reverse Brad Underwood when he said "UConn isn't anything we haven't seen before in the B1G". Don't overlook them. Not saying we can't beat them, but they are an elite offensive team.

Purdue is in another class above Illinois and 2 above Marquette. Because of Edey's dominance in the post, their 3 point shooting often goes overlooked.

They shoot 40.6% from 3 as a team, and have 4 players with 50+ made 3's shooting at minimum 35.5%. We only have 3 guys who have made over 50 3's and only 2 (Karaban and Spencer) are over 35.5%.

I've seen a lot of UConn fans on Twitter overlooking this as well. If that ends up being the title game, it's going to be a close game throughout.
Too soon.
Bama is the only known game on the schedule.

Reaction Score

I know transitive property doesn't work, but sometimes it's all you have. We have a few common opponents, including Illinois (+6/+5), Marquette (+3), Indiana (+20/+21), Northwestern (-4/+9), Gonzaga(+10/+12) and Xavier (+12).

Or you can go by tourney results against similarly seeded teams:
+38, +39, +12, +6 (UC +39, +17, +30, +25)

This is really all we have to go by right now. Frankly i don't want to talk Purdue at all, i think we should all be focused on Bama, but it was brought up in post #2 in a way that i thought was way too absolute. The absolutes always get me. It's like when someone says something is "unacceptable". OK poster, if so, then what will be the punishment levied by you if it doesn't improve ?

I'm just as nervous as the most nervous person before the game starts, and until we are (hopefully) up comfortably enough to no longer worry about a loss. There isn't an ounce of overconfidence in me.

Outside of this response, i won't even think of PU again until we actually have them on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Then what happened vs Creighton? What happens if we go 3/20 and Bama shoots 15/30? Our defense is awesome but sometimes teams get really hot from deep. (And what happens if DC and/or SC pick up 2 early fouls?) If we’re not making 3s, we need transition hoops, and for that we need long rebounds. Fewer Bama misses, fewer transition hoops.

I’m not saying that’s likely but 3-point shooting is, in fact, a weakness if we continue shooting this way. 28% is bad.
Creighton went nuts from three, for the most part. We led them 19-15 with about 10 minutes left in the first half and then they went on an 24-6 run, and 18 of those 24 points came on threes. At that point the led by 14 and that was the margin at the half and we never recovered. They shot 14-28 from three and five different guys made 2 or more.

Reaction Score
Rumors (or possibly viral conspiracy theories) are that something has been done. over inflating balls, over tightening rims, whatever, to make it more difficult to hit threes in the tournament. Whether this is or is not the case, we willl continue to move forward.
Then how did Creighton and Tennessee combined shoot almost 50% on threes?

Reaction Score
I know transitive property doesn't work, but sometimes it's all you have. We have a few common opponents, including Illinois (+6/+5), Marquette (+3), Indiana (+20/+21), Northwestern (-4/+9), Gonzaga(+10/+12) and Xavier (+12).

Or you can go by tourney results against similarly seeded teams:
+38, +39, +12, +6 (UC +39, +17, +30, +25)

This is really all we have to go by right now. Frankly i don't want to talk Purdue at all, i think we should all be focused on Bama, but it was brought up in post #2 in a way that i thought was way too absolute. The absolutes always get me. It's like when someone says something is "unacceptable". OK poster, if so, then what will be the punishment levied by you if it doesn't improve ?

I'm just as nervous as the most nervous person before the game starts, and until we are (hopefully) up comfortably enough to no longer worry about a loss. There isn't an ounce of overconfidence in me.

Outside of this response, i won't even think of PU again until we actually have them on the schedule.
What “we” focus on makes absolutely no difference to how the team will play. We could be focused on the 2026 season and it won’t affect a thing except our own minds.

Reaction Score
Odd comment. Perhaps the strange neutral courts and backgrounds have more to do with the many misses along with the intense defense being played by the desperate one and done games. Seems like most players are jacked up and out of sync.
Also, why would an overinflated ball tend to miss Long? Are they inflating them with helium?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom