Our program is not in a position to redshirt anyone. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Our program is not in a position to redshirt anyone.

Reaction Score
I understand your point, but we have no speed on D. If I take your logic to an extreme, should we have eliminated all candidates who base their schemes on speed? I would think you would hire the best candidate and then recruit more team speed, which we all know is what we have to do

Whoever comes to a new situation has to figure out how you modify what you want to run to what you can run until your recruits start coming through the system.
I agree whole heartedly with this post BL...how ever it will take at least 3 seasons to get in enough D-lineman to play a 3 man front, especially for the 3-3-5. I am hoping the 3-3-5 is now a wrinkle along with the 4-2-5 with a base 4-3 bringing pressure in any look when needed. That would give this team the best shot to win right now on D while allowing them to recruit the kinds of players needed to run that type of scheme down the road.

Reaction Score
I agree whole heartedly with this post BL...how ever it will take at least 3 seasons to get in enough D-lineman to play a 3 man front, especially for the 3-3-5. I am hoping the 3-3-5 is now a wrinkle along with the 4-2-5 with a base 4-3 bringing pressure in any look when needed. That would give this team the best shot to win right now on D while allowing them to recruit the kinds of players needed to run that type of scheme down the road.

Then you misunderstand the concept. It can look like all of those things - that's the whole point

Reaction Score
Then you misunderstand the concept. It can look like all of those things - that's the whole point
I'm not misunderstanding anything...what I am basing my non-like to this hire is the fact that he ran his 3-3-5 for 90% of the game when Nova was at the Rent for opening day 2 years ago and they lost 20-15 with a team containing Cherry at LB and Robertson at QB. The team that scored 20 pts on this 3-3-5 scheme was the same team we slammed here and saw get absolutely smoked by Marshall in a bowl game. I wasn't impressed with watching Crocker's D that day with my own eyes, and I won't be impressed until I see him do something different.

Reaction Score
I'm not misunderstanding anything...what I am basing my non-like to this hire is the fact that he ran his 3-3-5 for 90% of the game when Nova was at the Rent for opening day 2 years ago and they lost 20-15 with a team containing Cherry at LB and Robertson at QB. The team that scored 20 pts on this 3-3-5 scheme was the same team we slammed here and saw get absolutely smoked by Marshall in a bowl game. I wasn't impressed with watching Crocker's D that day with my own eyes, and I won't be impressed until I see him do something different.

Wat8.jpg

Reaction Score
I guess you didn't go to the 2015 opener against Villanova.

No one believes the DC is the splash hire that the OC is, but I think this is a real overreaction, especially if it's based on one game. We scored 20 points, not 35, and if I remember the game we gained less than 350 yards, and we won primarily because we won the turnover battle and got one huge out of the blue play from Tommy Meyers. But it's not like we did anything like shredding their D.

Reaction Score
No one believes the DC is the splash hire that the OC is, but I think this is a real overreaction, especially if it's based on one game. We scored 20 points, not 35, and if I remember the game we gained less than 350 yards, and we won primarily because we won the turnover battle and got one huge out of the blue play from Tommy Meyers. But it's not like we did anything like shredding their D.
That's my point...we scored 20 points on that D scheme with that offense. I'm not claiming anyone believes the DC hire is the same as the lash lee hire by any means...but take off the rose colored glasses and look at reality. Houston ran the 3-3-5 because they had some sick athletes on the D line and at LB that allowed Orlando to do that and get his best athletes on the field, those athletes aren't here. For every CAA coordinator that moves up and does well..there are others that crash and burn...I give you Kirk Ciarocca at RU as my main example. Crocker may be the man...but as of right now I hope RE is elbows deep involved in this D because I'm not sold one bit on Crocker.

Reaction Score
That's my point...we scored 20 points on that D scheme with that offense. I'm not claiming anyone believes the DC hire is the same as the lash lee hire by any means...but take off the rose colored glasses and look at reality. Houston ran the 3-3-5 because they had some sick athletes on the D line and at LB that allowed Orlando to do that and get his best athletes on the field, those athletes aren't here. For every CAA coordinator that moves up and does well..there are others that crash and burn...I give you Kirk Ciarocca at RU as my main example. Crocker may be the man...but as of right now I hope RE is elbows deep involved in this D because I'm not sold one bit on Crocker.

We hired what was unquestionably one of the Better DCs in I-AA, who happens to be from the Northeast as well. We added to the staff a much less experienced I-AA DC coaching in the Northeast with UConn experience. And we know from history that Edsall will be more involved in the D than the O. Again, in filling 8 slots with a budget limited compared to Rutgers and BC and Syracuse, you didn't expect every hire to be a pure home run. Lashlee and Richardson and Wholly, to me, are pure home runs. This hire is fine, and is part of a staff that overall is taking shape probably better than I would have hoped for.

But you are entitled to your opinion -- Time will tell.

Reaction Score

This comparison and "thought" is disingenuous at best and utterly stupid at worst. You have your expectations for him set by one game where we played them and only managed to score 20 points - and for that very reason you don't like the 3-3-5 or Crocker.

Nevermind the fact that he was, you know, coaching an FCS team, with FCS players.

Reaction Score
We hired what was unquestionably one of the Better DCs in I-AA, who happens to be from the Northeast as well. We added to the staff a much less experienced I-AA DC coaching in the Northeast with UConn experience. And we know from history that Edsall will be more involved in the D than the O. Again, in filling 8 slots with a budget limited compared to Rutgers and BC and Syracuse, you didn't expect every hire to be a pure home run. Lashlee and Richardson and Wholly, to me, are pure home runs. This hire is fine, and is part of a staff that overall is taking shape probably better than I would have hoped for.

But you are entitled to your opinion -- Time will tell.
Check your PM inbox @businesslawyer

Reaction Score
This comparison and "thought" is disingenuous at best and utterly stupid at worst. You have your expectations for him set by one game where we played them and only managed to score 20 points - and for that very reason you don't like the 3-3-5 or Crocker.

Nevermind the fact that he was, you know, coaching an FCS team, with FCS players.
@JMick thanks for your input...I'll stand by my knowledge of the game and my thoughts on the hire.

Reaction Score
You're right FDNY...instead of trying to hire someone who will run "modern" defensive schemes and try to bring our football program up to speed, we should have brought in a DC who would run sets with our slow crappy recruits and continue to recruit more slow crappy defensive players to replace them. Hate to break it to you, but college football is ALL about offense (turn on your TV). We needed to make a splash on the offensive side which we did. We already have a defensive minded head coach and Crocker has shown he can put together solid defenses.

Reaction Score
You're right FDNY...instead of trying to hire someone who will run "modern" defensive schemes and try to bring our football program up to speed, we should have brought in a DC who would run sets with our slow crappy recruits and continue to recruit more slow crappy defensive players to replace them. Hate to break it to you, but college football is ALL about offense (turn on your TV). We needed to make a splash on the offensive side which we did. We already have a defensive minded head coach and Crocker has shown he can put together solid defenses.
I guess you don't consider a 4-3-4 and a 4-2-5 modern defenses. The 3-3-5 is that new and modern D used by all of college football. Thanks for playing too @Olliewood216

Reaction Score
You don't like my views put me on ignore! By the way where are your seats are Rentschler? You can stop by our tailgate and discuss football with me and my friends who all played at UConn. Who I go back and forth with in a group text about UConn Football and football in general Year around.
Funny thing they aren't keen on the hire either. But I'll be sure to send them this link since I'm sure they dont know much about the game. Again thanks for adding to the football board...since this thread is the first time I have seen you post here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whether we like the DC hire or not, it's probably time to sit back, have a beer, and see what transpires. The spring game should be VERY interesting. Sure would like to know the OL coach though. Curious minds would like to know.

EDIT: Working my way through the board this evening. Did not see the Grimes post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread FDNY99....Give it a read. If you choose not to that's fine too, the quote below sums it up. Let's agree to let Edsall and Crocker do what they do best....TEACH. We'll all criticize them later. :rolleyes:
The Playbook: Structuring a Defense
In all of the diagrams above, it does not matter whether your personnel dictates that you run a 3-man front (3-3 or 3-4) or a four-man front (4-3, 4-4, or 4-2-5). The gaps will be filled by different players based on the front and whether a defensive line is responsible for two-gaps or one. The defensive backs and linebackers would have essentially the same responsibility regardless of the scheme, be it a three or four-man front. Scheme is overrated! The key to playing good defense is placing the players in positions where they can be successful and teaching them the scheme. The best coaches are good teachers.

We teach not only the defensive scheme, but how the opponent will try to attack us, where the weaknesses are in our scheme. As long as the scheme is sound against the offense, that is against every play they can run, and our players understand how to react to every possible offensive action, we have a chance to be successful. If our players make the play that they are supposed to, the plays that come their way, we will have a good defense. Football, as a wise man once told me is "players making plays."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom