Our Next Tight Game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Our Next Tight Game

Reaction Score
There's an inside joke in @Get a Job 's post that went right over your head because you haven't been around long enough.

We aren't superstitious bunch, but we are a little stitious.

And doomed, we're always doomed.
What went over my head? I agree that I bring the hype. So what.
What I don’t get is, Isn’t superstition an effort to AVOID jinxes? Why then would you jinx the team by predicting their loss(es)?
Sounds more like the need to be right with superstition being the default mechanism.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Creighton, Marquette, Nova, Butler, and Providence are all capable of having a good night against the perceived conference front runner. The way we're built though, it's hard to see us putting up any stinkers.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Two+ months of no injuries, illnesses, crazy foul trouble, or opponents shooting 80% from 40 3s... We're favored by metrics in every game on the schedule, but getting it done would be a rare feat.

Reaction Score
What I don’t get is, Isn’t superstition an effort to AVOID jinxes? Why then would you jinx the team by predicting their loss(es)?
Sounds more like the need to be right with superstition being the default mechanism.
Anyone have the origins of the "doomed" reply for this guy? In short, anytime anyone gets too overly hyped, the boneyard respond with "doomed", a superstition in jest to keep the basketball gods happy.

For the record, I'm not disagreeing with your hype train. What I really wanted out of this thread is a basketball strategist discussion on HOW a team couple possibly beat us. What would need to happen (on their part and ours) to cause a tight game?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You be you Hype Cat. Don't let the geezers get you down.

Reaction Score
Anyone have the origins of the "doomed" reply for this guy? In short, anytime anyone gets too overly hyped, the boneyard respond with "doomed", a superstition in jest to keep the basketball gods happy.

For the record, I'm not disagreeing with your hype train. What I really wanted out of this thread is a basketball strategist discussion on HOW a team couple possibly beat us. What would need to happen (on their part and ours) to cause a tight game?
What makes you think I’m a guy Spudz? Is there 1 female on this board or do they get lost in the morass of metrics, statistics and prognostication? I can over analyze too fellas so I’m right there with ya. I know just as much about huskie BB as you do. If talk of losing breeds a sense of comfort, who am I to interfere? I just think you got the jinx thing backwards. It becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.
I’ve heard a lot of talk about a few teams somehow getting a W against them without any specifics. It’s easy to be somewhat right that way, but who exactly is the star player from any of these teams who’s going to emerge to take them down? Name one.
They all know by now the domino effect that’s about to take place and they’re all scared S less.

Reaction Score
What makes you think I’m a guy Spudz? I can over analyze to fellas so I’m right there with ya.
What makes you think I'm a fella? Is there 1 female on this board or do they get lost in macho know it all, misinterpretation of written words?

In case you were wondering (or care to take a breath to read), there are multiple ppl in this thread agreeing with you, and I'm one of them. Yet you seem to want to "go at" anyone who responds to you.

Reaction Score
What makes you think I'm a fella? Is there 1 female on this board or do they get lost in macho know it all, misinterpretation of written words?

In case you were wondering (or care to take a breath to read), there are multiple ppl in this thread agreeing with you, and I'm one of them. Yet you seem to want to "go at" anyone who responds to you.
Maybe it’s because you made that assumption Spudz.

“Anyone have the origins of the "doomed" reply for this guy?”

You have to ask yourself why you did that. I can’t help you save face, nor do I want to. You feel the need to twist my words which REALLY hurts your credibility. You haven’t seen my ‘go at’ yet, but maybe that’s what ur looking for. I sensed an undercurrent before your rash statements. Try to make a point next time.

Reaction Score
St. John's is def the one that's on my radar most. We know creighton and villanova will be tough, but St. Johns seems to be the opponent that always plays UConn tougher than expected. With all the length UConn has its great when its going great, but there was a stretch in the Iowa St game where they captialized on pressure in the backcourt forcing a number of UConn turnovers. I expect Posh and Curbello to thrive off that same pressure. The go-to lineup of newton, hawkins, jackson, karaban, and sanogo will have their toughest challenge in terms of ball handling and controlling the tempo. Playing chaotically is St John's bread and butter and I could easily see it catching UConn off guard.

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s because you made that assumption Spudz.

“Anyone have the origins of the "doomed" reply for this guy?”

You have to ask yourself why you did that. I can’t help you save face, nor do I want to. You feel the need to twist my words which REALLY hurts your credibility. You haven’t seen my ‘go at’ yet, but maybe that’s what ur looking for. I sensed an undercurrent before your rash statements. Try to make a point next time.
Dude, reread my first reply to you. I was in no way attacking you or questioning anything that has to do with your intelligence. Take a breath and realize I was simply asking for someone to tell you that the "doomed" quote IS DONE IN JEST. Nothing was said to you that you should have taken offense to.

Secondly, I ended my post asking for a real basketball conversation, but you with all your hate skipped straight to attacking me. I'm done responding unless you want to actually talk basketball and how UConn will run the table, which is why we are both here in the first place.

Reaction Score
It seems like whenever we have a really good team we get nicked by Providence no matter how awful they are. I'm going with that being the next tight game. Beyond that and of course staying healthy if Creighton or Nova can't get their $%^$$ straight we demolish every team remaining on our schedule. Xavier on the road or maybe St Johns might have a shot to peel one off too. I like Xavier. They looked good in their losses against good teams this year. I really have a juggernaut feeling about this team though at this point. Are we going to have a game where they all slump at once?

Reaction Score
17-3 would be tremendous, but doubt it. I’m more 15-5 thinking and I’m a male and not quite a geezer.

Reaction Score
Dude, reread my first reply to you. I was in no way attacking you or questioning anything that has to do with your intelligence. Take a breath and realize I was simply asking for someone to tell you that the "doomed" quote IS DONE IN JEST. Nothing was said to you that you should have taken offense to.

Secondly, I ended my post asking for a real basketball conversation, but you with all your hate skipped straight to attacking me. I'm done responding unless you want to actually talk basketball and how UConn will run the table, which is why we are both here in the first place.
Good, I’m glad you’re done Karen, Oops I mean Spudz.
There’s still time for you to answer the Q I asked before my attention wanes to nothing. BillW and the OPs just did so in a mature and intelligent manner. Let’s hear what you have to say. Or are you too chicken? And please, try not to fly off the handle…

Reaction Score
Good, I’m glad you’re done Karen, Oops I mean Spudz.
There’s still time for you to answer the Q I asked before my attention wanes to nothing. BillW and the OPs just did so in a mature and intelligent manner. Let’s hear what you have to say. Or are you too chicken? And please, try not to fly off the handle…
Shakin' things up on the Yard.. I'm confused.. Are you Hype Cat or Hype Kitty?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
THREE? WHAT?!? I understand the need to stay the course down the mathematical rabbit hole, but what kind of epic mental meltdown do you expect to happen in order for that to come about?
When Hurley gets caught running down there street naked, Ajax refuses to play and Sanogo rips somebody’s face off get back to us brah.
By tone & temperment, you provide a most curious presence new presence on The Boneyard.

By the simple fact of lacking experience with certain board conventions, in-jokes, and such, you have some fully expectable knowledge gaps. In itself, that's nothing that can't be accommodated and absorbed into the flow of this community. However, you have already displayed an argumentative self-certainty in areas where you lack knowledge that others have, and you have combined this with a combative or disinterested stance toward others' efforts to inform and help you.
Shakin' things up on the Yard.. I'm confused.. Are you Hype Cat or Hype Kitty?
I'm gonna make the call: not a cat.
I'll be the only one to stick my neck out in saying they will go undefeated. Creighton away is their only threat. It's the plane ride. As soon as someone is having an off night Hurley will replace them. It's not like last year. Each game someone new steps up and delivers. It will be Hawkins more often than not. There's no stopping this train.
Well then
Can’t wait to see them take a pounding. Hate the johnnies.
So who's your team?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Creighton, Marquette, Nova, Butler, and Providence are all capable of having a good night against the perceived conference front runner. The way we're built though, it's hard to see us putting up any stinkers.
Two+ months of no injuries, illnesses, crazy foul trouble, or opponents shooting 80% from 40 3s... We're favored by metrics in every game on the schedule, but getting it done would be a rare feat.
@spudzj6 This pair of posts came in while you were being distracted. I think they do a good job of laying out a number of factors that go into a team that can't lose a game losing a game.

Still, always, one game at a time.

Reaction Score
Running the table would be a prolific feat. All it takes is one team having a great day and us being off. But, the stars seem aligned.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What makes you think I’m a guy Spudz? Is there 1 female on this board or do they get lost in the morass of metrics, statistics and prognostication? I can over analyze too fellas so I’m right there with ya. I know just as much about Husky BB as you do. If talk of losing breeds a sense of comfort, who am I to interfere? I just think you got the jinx thing backwards. It becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.
I’ve heard a lot of talk about a few teams somehow getting a W against them without any specifics. It’s easy to be somewhat right that way, but who exactly is the star player from any of these teams who’s going to emerge to take them down? Name one.
They all know by now the domino effect that’s about to take place and they’re all scared S less.
I know just as much about Husky BB as you do.

awesomesauce. bully. outstanding.
and the other stuff u said in ur posts. mostly, cuz i could guess how a few other squads could beat us, but who cares? ur stuff is more fun.

Reaction Score
Butler away and first conference game may not be as easy as most think.
Butler certainly won’t be any louder than Florida. You think they’re much better?

Do disrespect to Butler but we haven’t had a moment of doubt in a single game yet, against much better teams

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
By tone & temperment, you provide a most curious presence new presence on The Boneyard.

By the simple fact of lacking experience with certain board conventions, in-jokes, and such, you have some fully expectable knowledge gaps. In itself, that's nothing that can't be accommodated and absorbed into the flow of this community. However, you have already displayed an argumentative self-certainty in areas where you lack knowledge that others have, and you have combined this with a combative or disinterested stance toward others' efforts to inform and help you.

I'm gonna make the call: not a cat.

Well then

So who's your team?

drugs r bad, mmmkay?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom