Our Next Tight Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our Next Tight Game

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Who is on the record for UConn running the table?
I'll go on record that I'll be very surprised if we (or anyone) runs the table in the BE this season. It's never been done and there have been quite a few tremendous teams in this conference. Accomplishing this will take talent (we may have that), experience (not sure we have enough), consistent, sustained focus and determination (the 1998-1999 team was the only one I remember who had that) and luck (what derailed the 1998-1999 team from an undefeated season).

Will I want to win every game? Of course I will, ideally in blowouts. Will I be angry and upset after any loss? Absolutely. That said, the goal should be to win the conference regular season outright. Then the goal should be to win the BET. If we accomplish both, everything should fall into place.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be any more suprised if they go undefeated than picking up a couple losses. Might even be more suprised if they don't. I can't remember a team (UConn team at least) that has had more players on it with this much confidence and killer instinct than this one. Add in the talent depth and the unselfish team play, and they really feel special.
Would put this team together with UConn 1999. UConn and Duke only number 1 teams that year I believe. 99 was deep with killer instinct.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This team, absent a five game losing streak, will be top 15 at a minimum the rest of the season. If they have 2 or 3 quad 1 losses in tough environments they’ll stay top 8 or better. And if they get through these first seven games unbeaten, including a win vs Creighton, then you're looking at no worse than top 4 and a number 1 seed.

By the way, that latter scenario seems most likely.

Reaction Score
Is there that much difference in a 1 or 2 seed? Of course we’ve seen 2’s go down plenty.

Reaction Score
What the heck.I will be the first to bite. We go 17-3 in the league. This is based on no stats.

Reaction Score
Big East is always a meat grinder. Nova, Xavier, Providence & Creighton won't be easy sledding. On the other hand, this is the best team we've had in years, so we'll see.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Who is on the record for UConn running the table?

There are some bad teams at the bottom of the league. Georgetown is bad. Depaul plays decent team ball but has no talent. Seton Hall looks pretty bad this year. After that, it is a lot of OK teams. UConn should win most of those games but I don't know if UConn is good enough, or those other teams bad enough, for UConn to run the table. Someone will get hot, or cold, and a game that should be a 12 point win turns into a battle. That is why they play the games.
I think 29-2 is a plausible regular season record.

Reaction Score
Our Big East opponent fans will be trash talking and pumped when they host us, until the tip off.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Going undefeated in the league is probably an unreasonable expectation. 17-3 is my hope, although I wouldn't be surprised if we go 18-2. We're probably the best team in the country, I don't think it's crazy to have high expectations.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
Is there that much difference in a 1 or 2 seed? Of course we’ve seen 2’s go down plenty.
Possibly. Not many plausible 1 Seeds in the Northeast, so if we are a 2 and some Southern or Midwestern team is the 1 in the East, I could see the committee being hesitant to put us at MSG where we'd have a home advantage. Being on the 1 line makes the East much more likely imo

Reaction Score
Based on our non- BE success this year and KenPom/NET ratings.. We now have a target on our backs and are the game that all BE teams have circled on their schedules.. Beating us is a signature win for building their Tournament resumes.

No nights off for us.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Would put this team together with UConn 1999. UConn and Duke only number 1 teams that year I believe. 99 was deep with killer instinct.
And they couldn't win every reg season game. Sure injuries did play a big part for 1 of those 2 losses. Still .....

Reaction Score
I agree with Malamute. There is a mentality on this team that is very special.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I honestly don’t see it with Butler. Gonna go with Xavier. But we’re doomed.

Reaction Score
Lors of ways to lose games to good Big East teams. We could have a super off shooting night, another team could get hot. Probably my number one concern in this environment is losing a bunch of studs to being sick. Our guys are banging on each other all day long in the gym, probably hanging out all day night long together. RSV, flu, COVID and the squirts could pose a challenge.

Reaction Score
OK. Butler, Georgetown, Nova, Xavier, Providence, Creighton and Marquette. First, do we lose to any of these teams? Second, which ones are closely competitive games? As lackluster as many of them have been, we will be their game of the year with our ranking and some of them are very likely to get better, right? Off nights can happen.
Ourselves. Just keep playing as a team and we’ll win, start playing for the name on the back of your jersey and not the one in front and we’ll lose. Stay together, win together.

Reaction Score
Other than GTown, and you shouldn’t even count them out completely, many games could be tight. Well, maybe you can with GTown. They’re just awful.
But we aren’t going to be laser focused every game. We’re going to have some off nights. Just ask the Cowboys, Titans, and Vikings today about tight games that shouldn’t have been.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Other than GTown, and you shouldn’t even count them out completely, many games could be tight. Well, maybe you can with GTown. They’re just awful.
But we aren’t going to be laser focused every game. We’re going to have some off nights. Just ask the Cowboys, Titans, and Vikings today about tight games that shouldn’t have been.
Lions Vikings wasn't a tight game. The Lions handled them easily and were favored in Vegas.

Reaction Score
Lions Vikings wasn't a tight game. The Lions handled them easily and were favored in Vegas.
Ya the Vikings are banged up and the Lions are really coming on strong. I didn’t see the odds on the game but still a let down for the Vikings. But my point is that the season is long and anything can happen. We ain’t running the table.

Reaction Score
Did I miss the anointment ceremony? What crown?
The crown of being the biggest opportunity remaining for every team in the conference. It’s absolutely a crown. There’s a big fat target on our back. You can ignore it if you want. But we’re about to get everyone’s best shot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom