Our Kiah - the Rutgers game | The Boneyard

Our Kiah - the Rutgers game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMHO, Kiah played the game in a way that was cause for celebration and some accolades :). [No intention on my part to take anything away from our starters/seniors - they excelled and they've gotten well-deserved press, and watching them play was pure joy - especially when KML drained that first 3!]. I'm not sure the full extent of the way Kiah played could come through a TV/computer screen. Her stats of 11 rebounds, 4 pts, 2 assists, and all of our 3 blocks give an indication, but to me it was the consistent focus and determination on her face and her activity that stood out.

Kiah was the only non-starter to play in the first half when Rutgers was still playing with the intensity generated by the thought (delusional :rolleyes:) that they might have a chance to compete. Kiah was consistently active. She may have blocked 3, but her arms were always up and coming at a shooter and I'm sure she altered many other shots (I thought she blocked more than 3, but hard to tell when/if she made contact with the ball). She disrupted shots/passes, was aggressive, and enthusiastically grabbed balls she forced to be loose. She dove for balls. She passed and she exuded a feeling of fitting in and knowing what she was doing. Yes, there were a couple slip-ups, but not much and she moved on quickly. My biggest regret was after she ripped down an offensive rebound, when I though she had the power and position to drive the ball right back up for a score - -instead she passed the ball out. Next game!

A very good performance by Kiah, and a great sight at this time of year! :)

Reaction Score
Kiah could play a big role in the NCAA Tournament due to the fact that she is an absolute "game changer" on the boards and on the defensive end. There is no doubt in my mind that given playing time of 20 plus minutes per game she will have a stat line around 8pts, 10rbs, 3blocks.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
My favorite play was her block in the 1st half on Scaife or whoever it was, who was attacking the rim with some very nifty moves and thought she could exxxxttteennnnddddd her arm past Kiah for the layin. It was actually very well executed.....

Until Kiah used all of her wingspan to block 100% of that ball right back down to the floor - eliciting "Oooos" and "Aaahhhs" from the crowd.

Reaction Score
IMHO, Kiah played the game in a way that was cause for celebration and some accolades :). [No intention on my part to take anything away from our starters/seniors - they excelled and they've gotten well-deserved press, and watching them play was pure joy - especially when KML drained that first 3!]. I'm not sure the full extent of the way Kiah played could come through a TV/computer screen. Her stats of 11 rebounds, 4 pts, 2 assists, and all of our 3 blocks give an indication, but to me it was the consistent focus and determination on her face and her activity that stood out.

Kiah was the only non-starter to play in the first half when Rutgers was still playing with the intensity generated by the thought (delusional :rolleyes:) that they might have a chance to compete. Kiah was consistently active. She may have blocked 3, but her arms were always up and coming at a shooter and I'm sure she altered many other shots (I thought she blocked more than 3, but hard to tell when/if she made contact with the ball). She disrupted shots/passes, was aggressive, and enthusiastically grabbed balls she forced to be loose. She dove for balls. She passed and she exuded a feeling of fitting in and knowing what she was doing. Yes, there were a couple slip-ups, but not much and she moved on quickly. My biggest regret was after she ripped down an offensive rebound, when I though she had the power and position to drive the ball right back up for a score - -instead she passed the ball out. Next game!

A very good performance by Kiah, and a great sight at this time of year! :)
I thought same thing! (With only the benefit of a computer screen) Would be nice to see her get more big minutes tomorrow too, coming into tournament time.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kiah played great on the defensive end and with her rebounding. During the off season, she's got to work on her offensive game. Her shooting has to be more instinctive and be ready to shoot when she gets the ball in the low post or when she cuts into the middle. She's got a nice shot and should be able to do more with it. Can't have teams laying off her next year, because she won't shoot enough. However, with that said, she's got the potential to be an All American because her defense is great and if she improves her average points per game she just might make it. Definitely a player that will be drafted by the WNBA next year.

HGN

Reaction Score
I didn't see the game but tracked it on the thread......From the comments and the stat line , Kiah deserves a standing-O. From my observation it was a strong defensive game . And she deserves credit for that.

If her offense ever kicks in , now and next season, Kiah is going to be a handful for UConn opponents.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does the new conference have a Defensive POY award? Kiah should get national recognition for her defense next year.

Reaction Score
Kiah could play a big role in the NCAA Tournament due to the fact that she is an absolute "game changer" on the boards and on the defensive end. There is no doubt in my mind that given playing time of 20 plus minutes per game she will have a stat line around 8pts, 10rbs, 3blocks.

She had 22 minutes in the Rutgers game and had 4 points.

Reaction Score
Kiah played great on the defensive end and with her rebounding. During the off season, she's got to work on her offensive game. Her shooting has to be more instinctive and be ready to shoot when she gets the ball in the low post or when she cuts into the middle. She's got a nice shot and should be able to do more with it. Can't have teams laying off her next year, because she won't shoot enough. However, with that said, she's got the potential to be an All American because her defense is great and if she improves her average points per game she just might make it. Definitely a player that will be drafted by the WNBA next year.

She will be drafted in the WNBA because they draft on potential. Being an AA is not based on potential.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
She had 22 minutes in the Rutgers game and had 4 points.
Mostly because when she was in the game in the first half, she played with four double digit scorers.

She only took 2 shots.

Next year, when she starts and plays 20+ minutes a game without the scoring of Hartley and Dolson, she might take 7-8 shots. If she continues to hit 60% of them she would score 8-10 ppg.

I like what I have seen from her lately.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great OP and really agree - though about starting a thread myself - she was so active on the boards, and absolute demon. Her passing and her offensive movement have improved so much this year even though it hasn't translated into lots of points. She still defers and she still is not as aggressive with the ball as she could be, but she provides such good support for the scorers on the team.

Reaction Score
She has shown progress and potential but talk about AA is way premature. She will have to prove it under stress against the best.

Reaction Score
Kith is at this point of her career a role player but she is doing her role (rebounding, shot blocked, defense) very very we'll and she clearly gained the confidence of the coaches.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Mostly because when she was in the game in the first half, she played with four double digit scorers.

She only took 2 shots.

Next year, when she starts and plays 20+ minutes a game without the scoring of Hartley and Dolson, she might take 7-8 shots. If she continues to hit 60% of them she would score 8-10 ppg.

I like what I have seen from her lately.

Kiah is one of my favorite players buts lets face it, up to now she is no big scoring threat (unless within 5' of the basket). When she is on the perimeter opposing players sag way off her as she has no outside shot (unlike Dolson, Stewie, KML, Bria, Chong, Mo). In a really tough game we are going to need some 'threat' of a shot from her out there.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
ctfjr, the one thing I'm encouraged by is, she's trying things on the offensive end lately. Certainly, not all of them are working, but, there have been long stretches of her career when she didn't seem to even look for a shot, or consider driving the basket. Of late, she's trying to do things that, previously, she simply wouldn't even attempt. Her defense and rebounding keep getting better, and her movement and participation on the offensive end are evolving as well. I could see 8-10 ppg from her next season.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Kiah is one of my favorite players buts lets face it, up to now she is no big scoring threat (unless within 5' of the basket). When she is on the perimeter opposing players sag way off her as she has no outside shot (unlike Dolson, Stewie, KML, Bria, Chong, Mo). In a really tough game we are going to need some 'threat' of a shot from her out there.
Actually, she has a really nice and effective elbow jumper.

Reaction Score
On a team as talent-laden as this one, and as talent-laden as it will still be next year, it is sufficient for Stokes to be a role player, so long as she continues to play that role well. I agree with what has been posted here about her likely scoring potential for next year, but any scoring threat will just be gravy for a team that has so many threats to put the ball in the net. The contribution on which the team will depend heavily is in rebounds on both ends and in defense/blocked shots. In that regard, I'd love to see her develop a bit more "attitude" and swagger, play with a bit more aggression, but any threat as a scorer is much more marginally required. The one area, in my opinion, that requires the most improvement is in her passing. The team will lose probably as great a passer as any post player in the history of WCBB, and that's going to be sorely missed. I'm pleased to see that Stokes is getting consistently better at the outlet pass in the transition game, but if she could develop a fraction of Dolson's ability to feed the cutters effectively, I wouldn't care if she never scored a point.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Kiah's new nickname is gonna be "Windex".

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Kiah plays 25-30 minutes per game next year, then I think 10 points, 15 rebounds, and 5 blocks per game are reasonable expectations.

If you were at the game Saturday, it was very noticeable how much higher she leaped for rebounds than any other player in a red or a white-and-blue uniform. I don't remember Tina Charles ever dominating the boards like she did in her minutes on Saturday.

But she has to borrow some resin (or whatever it is) that KML uses the hold onto the balls that she does grab. The biggest concern about her recent play is the number of rebounds that she loses when opponents knock the ball out of her hands. She ought to be strong enough to keep that from happening.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
If she scores 8-10 ppg ,,grabs 12-14 rebounds,blocks 3-4 shots,and gets 3 or 4 assists next year,I won't call her windex. My new nickname for her will be Wolverine.After all,who in their right mind wants to tangle with a wolverine?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If she scores 8-10 ppg ,,grabs 12-14 rebounds,blocks 3-4 shots,and gets 3 or 4 assists next year,I won't call her windex. My new nickname for her will be Wolverine.After all,who in their right mind wants to tangle with a wolverine?

If she does that, you can just call her all-American.

Reaction Score
If Kiah plays 25-30 minutes per game next year, then I think 10 points, 15 rebounds, and 5 blocks per game are reasonable expectations.

If you were at the game Saturday, it was very noticeable how much higher she leaped for rebounds than any other player in a red or a white-and-blue uniform. I don't remember Tina Charles ever dominating the boards like she did in her minutes on Saturday.

But she has to borrow some resin (or whatever it is) that KML uses the hold onto the balls that she does grab. The biggest concern about her recent play is the number of rebounds that she loses when opponents knock the ball out of her hands. She ought to be strong enough to keep that from happening.

Nobody in the history of UConn womens bb has averaged 15 rebs, Kiah wont be the 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom