Our First (or Third) Name | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our First (or Third) Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Think George Blaney. Probably the QB coach as well as Associate HC. Being a HC for 10 years gives Diaco a person who knows all the nuances of being a HC. Works for me.

Funny I was thinking George Blaney but the Diaco/Calhoun analogy wasn't working so I threw the whole thing out.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
When is the Church of Scientology going to create a school? I can't wait. Can they start off FBS?
They would be well funded.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Anyone knocking this is crazy. This guy has an excellent resume for our QB coach/Associate head coach. Much better than Chuck Long's resume, this guy was a winner as a head coach. West Point grads probably know a thing or two about leadership.

"One of the Missouri Valley Football Conference's all-time winningest coaches, Patterson guided the Fighting Leathernecks to three playoff berths, a pair of conference titles and a No. 1 national ranking. He amassed an overall record of 63-47 and coached five of the top eight offensive teams in school history. In addition, Patterson coached eight conference players of the year."
If true, I like this hire and trust Coach D knows exactly where and how to fit Coach Patterson into his staff. On top of all his other extremely impressive credentials, and there are many, he's also recently overcome stage IV cancer and returned to coaching. And to those of you who think a guy at age 63 is over the hill I say "age, smage" . . . this guy is a winner and a great leader of young men, and knee jerk comparisons to PP/GDL are simply uninformed and unfair.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hope coach D knows what he's doing. Hope this isn't the OC hire. On the back nine of his career 63 years old (eyebrows raised). buffalo 83rd in total offense this year, 77nd last year. I do like the West Point background.
I will give Diaco the benefit of the doubt until he displays reason that he does not warrant it (I had the same outlook with P and even attempted to justify a number of blatant errors throughout much of his first season).

My guess is that Diaco did want one member of his staff to be a veteran, someone who could bring a wealth of knowledge and depth of understanding of the collegiate game. I don't know if this is our OC but we will find out who gets what title soon enough.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Please change this wording. Now. No "Coach P" is ever allowed on this staff again.
Duly noted and corrected. And apologies to all BYers for that egregious error on my part.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Getting the recruiting coordinator settled in prior to some of the other position coaches isn't the worst thing in the world, considering there are less than two months left to go in the 2014 class recruiting season. Go get 'em, Coach Patterson!

Reaction Score
You're also a time vampire.

Here we go. . . . .why bother responding if that's the way you feel.

This program just had a horrendous experience with over-the-hill coaches. I get that not everyone over 60 is the reincarnation of P/GDL (speaking of vampires) but Bill Snyder, Nick Saban, Don Brown etc. are the exception not the rule. Ed Orgeron's worst mistake at Ole Miss was hiring a certain old coach based on who he knew not what he knew. Don't want to see that happen again here.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So tell us all the football reasons this would be a bad hire. Age is not a football reason.

Reaction Score

This program just had a horrendous experience with over-the-hill coaches. I get that not everyone over 60 is the reincarnation of P/GDL (speaking of vampires) but Bill Snyder, Nick Saban, Don Brown etc. are the exception not the rule. Ed Orgeron's worst mistake at Ole Miss was hiring a certain old coach based on who he knew not what he knew. Don't want to see that happen again here.
Orgeron had GDL on his staff at Ole Miss for 1 season..then he s_ h_i_t canned him. Orgeron made bigger mistakes there than hiring GDL...that mistake he realized VERY quickly and corrected it.

Reaction Score

You just saw that he was old and you made a knee jerk judgement. I just wasted 10 seconds reading your post and 20 seconds typing this.

Reaction Score
Orgeron had GDL on his staff at Ole Miss for 1 season..then he s_ h_i_t canned him. Orgeron made bigger mistakes there than hiring GDL...that mistake he realized VERY quickly and corrected it.

Pretty much. And even still wasn't he just the RBs coach? They worked together at Syracuse under Coach Blue, Orgeron should have known better.

Reaction Score
Pretty much. And even still wasn't he just the RBs coach? They worked together at Syracuse under Coach Blue, Orgeron should have known better.
Worse..he was OL coach and running game coordinator. Lead Ole Miss an Ole Miss running game that was one of the worst they ever had. OL gave up a TON of sacks too. A lot like he did here......Yeah Orgeron should have stayed far away.

Reaction Score
Worse..he was OL coach and running game coordinator. Lead Ole Miss an Ole Miss running game that was one of the worst they ever had. OL gave up a TON of sacks too. A lot like he did here......Yeah Orgeron should have stayed far away.

PGDL are kryptonite now. But.... They just might be a pretty good fit at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
PGDL are kryptonite now. But.... They just might be a pretty good fit at Rutgers.
You know what is a bit ironic about GDL...the season after Eddy O fired him he went to work for Al Golden during his first season at Temple. He also fired GDL after 1 season..that is when he went to the Dolphins. Then the rest is history. It will be interesting to see if they land somewhere...or if they are truly done in the profession...only thing that is a given: they aren't our problem any more!!!!!

Reaction Score
I would have been a little disturbed if Diaco hired SOLELY people 40 or younger. It's nice having guys who have been around the block for awhile, as long as you don't let them overrun your team like GDL did.

Reaction Score
Patterson seems to be a character hire. from what I'm reading, seems to be exactly the type of person you'd want associated with Uconn Football.

Let's not look at every name and immediately assume they are PP or GDL 'esque based on nothing.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
So tell us all the football reasons this would be a bad hire. Age is not a football reason.

He is 4 years younger than Bill Snyder. I'd take his last 4 years.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
He is 4 years younger than Bill Snyder. I'd take his last 4 years.
He's 12 years younger than LeBeau and I'd take LeBeau as our DC in an instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom