Our biggest loss | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our biggest loss

What saddens you the most? Avoid whimsy, like, "Stewie not being able to play here until she's 30".

• Brittany Hunter not coming here initially

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • EDD leaving for Delaware

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Morgan foregoing her 5th year

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Caroline Doty's loss of effectiveness

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • other (explain)

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
"Saddens" is a stronger emotion than "regrets." As a fan I may regret we haven't won every championship that might have been possible for us, but what saddens me is a devastating loss for the player involved.

I can't consider EDD in that category. Because she did not stay at UConn she never experienced a championship, yet that clearly was not as important to her as being accessible to her sister. I was more gladdened than saddened by that. As for regrets? Like bb90 stated, you can't be sure of the all important impact on chemistry EDD might have had.

Consider, for example, the case of Abrosimova and Bird. 2001 may have been the greatest assemblage of talent but, as was later reported, there were chemistry issues. Those chemistry issues were evident in the way they played at times, including the double digit loss to Notre Dame in the regular season with both players still in action. On the one hand, UConn plays its best in March, on the other hand, those chemistry issues may still have been significant precisely because of the seniors. A freshman Taurasi just might be a hard pill for some senior leadership to swallow. In any case, at least Ralph and Abrosimova did experience winning a national championship, so I can't say I'm particularly saddened by their loss.

Mel Thomas also was on teams with chemistry issues for most of her career. Nevertheless, from her very first game she proved she had the "heart of a husky," a Kelly Faris or, perhaps, Molly Bent type of player. Then in her senior year a new sheriff comes to town, named Maya Moore. The early season regular and tournament performances were very promising. This could be the year that Thomas finally ..... plays in a Final Four! (forget the championship for a moment) Then both she and Greene are injured that year. Had she remained healthy she definitely would have tasted playing in her first Final Four and it's possible that with both Thomas and Greene and playing their best in March that we could have won a championship (though I suspect Tennessee fans will disagree). After all, a rookie Moore got the best of a veteran Parker in the pros.

Sales, Ralph, Abrosimova, all injured their senior years, could be considered devastating losses that saddens. But the loss of the senior Thomas was the most devastating, saddest loss of all.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
"Other" - Shea/Svet late season injuries 2001

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm with Bags27...

The injuries to Abrosimova and Ralph in 2001 were devastating...

We coulda won, coach, we coulda won!!! Head bang

Ain't no coulda about it CT ... woulda been a cake walk.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget that Syracuse/Connecticut game. If memory serves, Caroline Doty had 19 points just before the end of the first half. She and Tiffany Hayes were working the inside/outside game to perfection. And then Doty went down.

She was never the same again. Tiffany stayed healthy and had a great college and pro career; Caroline never recovered, and despite playing significant minutes, could not contribute again on her previous level.

If only those two were able to support and compliment each other for four years. If only...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good poll. I gotta go with "other".

1 and 1a. 1 was probably Sveta and Shea going down in the same year. Probably my favorite team of all time.

1a having Kennitra Johnson leave after her Soph year. I really enjoyed watching her play. I think she could have been really, really good. Possibly AA by her Sr year.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Nobody knows what Caroline went through or what she could have become. The knee cost her her career. At least Morgan got to finish with a fine senior season.
Caroline only. The others really did not want to contribute to the program. Why would a Uconn fan mourn the loss of a player who really did not want to be here. Caroline was a Husky through and through, and she stayed right to the "bitter" end, and it was tough for her. Morgan was OK too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom