Other Team Mid-Range and Crazy Shots | The Boneyard

Other Team Mid-Range and Crazy Shots

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who feels like teams hit shots they never hit when they play us? Found this tweet really interesting. Marquette hit more mid-range shots last night than they had hit in the last 12 games COMBINED! Even when we win feel like teams hit crazy shots (Georgetown game especially). First couple games teams hit crazy shots against us, it's bad luck - but now, I'm not sure how to explain for it.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Last night felt like a little bit of luck and a little bit of just a good scout by Shaka. That’s the thing we’ve seen over and over since BE play started - these are some very good, smart coaches that will work really hard to find what works against UConn and try to exploit it.

Which makes it even more surprising that McDermott decided to not double Sanogo all game.

Reaction Score
Why? If someone was in their face? Look at the tape, many of those were open shots. Our defense was not good.
I'll use another word.. It's hard to "overcome" that

Reaction Score
I don't know how else to say it other than the obvious - Hurley is a great recruiter, developer of talent and team, program builder.

And if his team can outtalent the other team into submission, or if the other team is itself sort of a mess, its a lock - we win the games we are expected to win.

But if its even odds talent wise, and if the other team is tough and disciplined... Hurley's game coaching/management kinda falls apart, and because of that his team falls apart. Its a specific lack of confidence in the moment, in situational awareness. You can see it in some of the panicked and rushed shots. They just aren't built to grind teams out with elite and confidence execution in pressure games/situations. It is what it is. It can improve over time, but not sure how much.

I think this is why we see the team really control games and win the games it "should" if it has an overmatch. They know how to bludgeon and how to crush a team with runs - its really the trademark of this team. But if it becomes an attritional and tactical game focused on exploiting mismatches and making quick adjustments, we are in real trouble. Look at any Villanova game from 2018-2021, xavier/pc/marquette. If we don't knock them out, they grind us until we crack.

Another piece for this years team in particular is expectations - when they started 13-0 and were annointed the king of the Big East, it put a target on their back, and every team will go that much harder, grind a little bit more, dive on the floor to save that possession they wouldn't against like, DePaul. Its new level of intensity that previously we've only seen in NCAA Tourney Games, Villanova games, etc. Games we have really sucked in.

Reaction Score
Why? If someone was in their face? Look at the tape, many of those were open shots. Our defense was not good.

Wait a minute. Wait a minute. You can’t just ignore the blocks and then claim bad defense. Our guys had 11 blocks last night. That’s phenomenal defense. Add those blocks to the 24 of 32 and suddenly it’s 24 of 43. That is not bad defense vs 2 point shots, many of which were layups.

What I found more problematic was the number of layups that our guys missed, which led to fast breaks and easy scores at the other end.

Reaction Score
I’ve played a lot of poker in my life time, (literally hundreds of thousands of hands during the online poker boom) and done a lot of reading and research on probabilities and game theory in games that have some amount of combination of skill and luck/randomness dictating outcomes.

Clearly, the balance between skill and luck skews much more towards skill in basketball vs poker, but the luck/randomness factor cannot be overlooked.

You can play near perfectly (via odds/stats/game theory) in poker, and still lose money (“run bad”) for an insane amount of hands. There were datasets were top players ran below expected win rate and lost money for months & months (100s of thousands of hands).

I guess my point is, it does seem like a lot of crazy things out of our control are going against us during these road losses.

However, we are not playing up to our optimal potential, which means we can’t absorb these bad probability fluctuations and escape out with a “close call” good road win.

Lots of solutions being offered up here on the yard, including some fairly big overhauls of our team. I’m not sure that is needed. Just need to shoot a little bit better and clean up our perimeter defense as step #1.

Reaction Score
I don't know how else to say it other than the obvious - Hurley is a great recruiter, developer of talent and team, program builder.

And if his team can outtalent the other team into submission, or if the other team is itself sort of a mess, its a lock - we win the games we are expected to win.

But if its even odds talent wise, and if the other team is tough and disciplined... Hurley's game coaching/management kinda falls apart, and because of that his team falls apart. Its a specific lack of confidence in the moment, in situational awareness. You can see it in some of the panicked and rushed shots. They just aren't built to grind teams out with elite and confidence execution in pressure games/situations. It is what it is. It can improve over time, but not sure how much.

I think this is why we see the team really control games and win the games it "should" if it has an overmatch. They know how to bludgeon and how to crush a team with runs - its really the trademark of this team. But if it becomes an attritional and tactical game focused on exploiting mismatches and making quick adjustments, we are in real trouble. Look at any Villanova game from 2018-2021, xavier/pc/marquette. If we don't knock them out, they grind us until we crack.

Another piece for this years team in particular is expectations - when they started 13-0 and were annointed the king of the Big East, it put a target on their back, and every team will go that much harder, grind a little bit more, dive on the floor to save that possession they wouldn't against like, DePaul. Its new level of intensity that previously we've only seen in NCAA Tourney Games, Villanova games, etc. Games we have really sucked in.
Plus no go-to guy for basket when you need one.

Reaction Score
One thing that stood out for me, is the number of shots Marquette took that utilized the backboard. Very smart, not used much today- can't think of any other team that banks shots off the backboard so much. Shaka must be teaching this.

Reaction Score
Look at the 2nd tweet in the series.

Yes, they made more shots than expected considering the defense and location and player averages. We played the best defense against them of anyone all season.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Comes down to our guard defense and how the opposing team plays Sanogo

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who feels like teams hit shots they never hit when they play us? Found this tweet really interesting. Marquette hit more mid-range shots last night than they had hit in the last 12 games COMBINED! Even when we win feel like teams hit crazy shots (Georgetown game especially). First couple games teams hit crazy shots against us, it's bad luck - but now, I'm not sure how to explain for it.

Marquette is taking what we give them. So many teams just defend the perimeter and the basket now. The middle is WIDE OPEN. Those shots are undefended a lot of times. I think many offenses and defenses in college and the pros reflect a misunderstanding of statistics, and conditional probability in particular. The goal of an offense should be to take the shot that has the highest expected point value. Too many coaches (and many of the stats "experts" on this board) think that means contested 3's.

Reaction Score
Marquette is taking what we give them. So many teams just defend the perimeter and the basket now. The middle is WIDE OPEN. Those shots are undefended a lot of times. I think many offenses and defenses in college and the pros reflect a misunderstanding of statistics, and conditional probability in particular. The goal of an offense should be to take the shot that has the highest expected point value. Too many coaches (and many of the stats "experts" on this board) think that means contested 3's.
They had the lowest expected point value of their season last night against us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They had the lowest expected point value of their season last night against us.

Because some rando stats nerd with an agenda says so? Sure.

Reaction Score

I know its a fun game to play the contrarian, but those shots are undefended because the "stats nerds" have determined via reasonable analyses that these are the lowest EV shots for teams to take.

I highly doubt many coaches would say that "we want to shoot contested 3's" is their gameplan. They WILL say that they want to run offensive sets that result in the highest +EV looks for their players. This means quality open 3s and layups. Whether the players execute that plan in-game is a whole different situation.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We are 4 out, 1 in. 0 in the middle. Its by design.

Right.

Hurley's strategy, and the numbers bear this out, is to defend the 3 at all costs. UConn is one of the better teams in the country at defending the 3.

When you go all out on doing that, there has to be a gap, and for UConn it's the 8'-15' shots. It's by design. The anomaly is teams making those shots against UConn at such a high rate. Marquette had 4 or 5 fadeaway jump shots in the paint by guards and wings. They also used the glass effectively. @Waquoit should appreciate that.

Reaction Score
Right.

Hurley's strategy, and the numbers bear this out, is to defend the 3 at all costs. UConn is one of the better teams in the country at defending the 3.

When you go all out on doing that, there has to be a gap, and for UConn it's the 8'-15' shots. It's by design. The anomaly is teams making those shots against UConn at such a high rate. Marquette had 4 or 5 fadeaway jump shots in the paint by guards and wings. They also used the glass effectively. @Waquoit should appreciate that.
I don’t know if it was luck or skill (I haven’t seen a lot of Marquette this year), but they used the glass SO well. Really great work by them to get the angles and make those shots. Felt like every shot they took was going to bank in

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. Wait a minute. You can’t just ignore the blocks and then claim bad defense. Our guys had 11 blocks last night. That’s phenomenal defense. Add those blocks to the 24 of 32 and suddenly it’s 24 of 43. That is not bad defense vs 2 point shots, many of which were layups.

What I found more problematic was the number of layups that our guys missed, which led to fast breaks and easy scores at the other end.
Missing layups has been a decade long issue for some reason sans 2014 which still saw a lot of jump shooters

Reaction Score
I don’t know if it was luck or skill (I haven’t seen a lot of Marquette this year), but they used the glass SO well. Really great work by them to get the angles and make those shots. Felt like every shot they took was going to bank in
Both.

Reaction Score
Right.

But they’re making them “at such a high rate” only if you ignore the blocks. Our guys had 11 blocks last night. That’s a lot of blocks. Really a lot. We have been stopping .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom