OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bandera's Deli in Dennis, MA... meatball sandwich, life altering.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have been around the sandwich block.

Too many Philly cheesesteak joints to name
Muffuletta at Central Grocery in New Orleans
Italian Beef at Al's in Chicago
Primanti's Cappy with the works in Pittsburgh
Grew up a couple blocks from Franklin Giant and Maple Giant
Worked next to Wethersfield Pizza for three years
Pastrami on rye at Carnegie Deli

Best sandwich, hands down, has been the roast pork at DiNics in Philly. Pork, Au jus, sharp prov, broccoli rabe and Italian long hots. There is nothing even close to that masterpiece.
Damn I was just in Philly yesterday. I would have gotten one.

@superjohn, I've only been to Trenton a couple of times. I've never had a pizza there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Best sandwich, hands down, has been the roast pork at DiNics in Philly. Pork, Au jus, sharp prov, broccoli rabe and Italian long hots. There is nothing even close to that masterpiece.
No quarreling with the quality of any of those, but aren't they the exact opposite "off the beaten path."? I mean Central Crocery is the hallmark of the muffelata.

Btw, did you know you can have them shipped here? I'm on a bit of a fitness kick right now and I've promised myself that once I'm down 20 my reward is going to be an order for the office and enough to bring home.

Reaction Score
Zingerman's is great. I'm in Buffalo now, that is where this is made. A guy directly from Puerto Rico makes it.
Their sandwiches are up to just under $20. It's good but not good enough to warrant those prices.

Reaction Score

As 8893 says, none of those are off the beaten path but I agree the sandwich from DiNic's is as good as it gets.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If my backyard grill counts as off the beaten path ...

Peanut butter, bacon, and sliced pickles (lengthwise) on grilled Beefsteak Rye, with garlic butter on the bread before grilling.

A close second - Grilled cheese, bacon, thinly sliced onions, with a couple cold tomato slices and pickle slices (same as above) put on after grilling. Garlic butter, same as above.

Reaction Score
If my backyard grill counts as off the beaten path ...

Peanut butter, bacon, and sliced pickles (lengthwise) on grilled Beefsteak Rye, with garlic butter on the bread before grilling.

A close second - Grilled cheese, bacon, thinly sliced onions, with a couple cold tomato slices and pickle slices (same as above) put on after grilling. Garlic butter, same as above.
Sounds like anything with bacon. ;^)

Reaction Score
I dont mind mayo on Roast beef, for example (like mixing some horeseradish into it too, but I can go straight mayo in a pinch) . But I dont like it on Ham at all. Ham is for mustard. Turkey (deli turkey which I dont eat often but sometimes am forced to eat in lunch settings, deli turkey better than thaksgiving turkey by a mile) I can go either way, mayo or mustard depending on what else is happening on the sandwich

Easy guide for cold cuts
Pork = mustard
Beef = mayo
Italian styles - Oil and Vinegar

By the way if anyone eats pastrami or corned beef as a "cold" cut tell me now so I can put you on ignore.

A guy at my work gets cold pastrami grinders. (with lettuce tomoato and mayo!) the fact that places in CT make cold pastrami sandwiches makes me want to go postal.
Tremendous

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Fish Sandwich at Mickey's in East Hartford gets overlooked. And M-W it's only $4.29, best deal around.

Reaction Score
Seconded - Was there Sunday but went for the Italian Pulled Pork Version w/ Prov, LH and Spinach this trip.

Reaction Score
No quarreling with the quality of any of those, but aren't they the exact opposite "off the beaten path."? I mean Central Crocery is the hallmark of the muffelata.

Btw, did you know you can have them shipped here? I'm on a bit of a fitness kick right now and I've promised myself that once I'm down 20 my reward is going to be an order for the office and enough to bring home.

I ignore the "off the beaten path" part. A great sandwich is a great sandwich.

Reaction Score
I dont mind mayo on Roast beef, for example (like mixing some horeseradish into it too, but I can go straight mayo in a pinch) . But I dont like it on Ham at all. Ham is for mustard. Turkey (deli turkey which I dont eat often but sometimes am forced to eat in lunch settings, deli turkey better than thaksgiving turkey by a mile) I can go either way, mayo or mustard depending on what else is happening on the sandwich

Easy guide for cold cuts
Pork = mustard
Beef = mayo
Italian styles - Oil and Vinegar

By the way if anyone eats pastrami or corned beef as a "cold" cut tell me now so I can put you on ignore.

A guy at my work gets cold pastrami grinders. (with lettuce tomoato and mayo!) the fact that places in CT make cold pastrami sandwiches makes me want to go postal.

If I can bring them home I get them naked and throw what all sandwiches, grinders should have on them, Miracle Whip. ;)

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Superjohn knows whats up. Milite's bread blows everything else clean out of the water. My sunday tradition during football season is a fresh loaf of milites, procuitto, soppressata, and genoa with sharp provolone, lettuce, banana peppers, tabasco and a lil oul and vinegar. Thats an italian grinder. Ham has got zero place on an italian imo.

Reaction Score
It's 7;30 am and I'm ready to run out for a grinder, this is killing me.

I'm in Japan, and while there are lots of great food options, I'm not likely to find any grinders. :(

Edit: oh, well, it doesn't count as a good sandwich, but I forgot there's a Subway in one of the malls downtown, but lol at going there just for that.

Reaction Score
Superjohn knows whats up. Milite's bread blows everything else clean out of the water. My sunday tradition during football season is a fresh loaf of milites, procuitto, soppressata, and genoa with sharp provolone, lettuce, banana peppers, tabasco and a lil oul and vinegar. Thats an italian grinder. Ham has got zero place on an italian imo.

Hot cappy down?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I could even find it again, but 8 or 10 years back, I stopped at a deli in some hole-in-the-wall town -- might have been Crown Point, NY, or maybe it was somewhere in VT. Long story how I stumbled on it, but what's important here is the sandwich. It's pouring, and we are not really lost, but in unfamiliar territory. We stop at this deli, and we're trying t decide. My buddy says he'll have a roast beef grinder. Chick says, hot or cold, and he says cold. He got a fantastic grinder. It was huge, and he insisted it was the best RB sandwich he's ever had. I said I think I'll have a hot RB grinder, but could you put some bacon on it too?
She asks, "Do you want the meat eater?"
Sure, why not?
Hot roast beef, pastrami and ham, with bacon and with provolone on the bottom and swiss on the top. All melted of course. Thinly sliced onions. And my choice of a little tub of horseradish or beef drippings to dip it in. I chose the latter.
Jim's half done with his sandwich by the time mine is ready and I walk over to the picnic table (inside the place, not out in the rain) to eat. He just stares at it, looks at his sandwich, and says, "This is the best grinder I've ever had. But now I wish I ordered that thing!" It was beyond outstanding.
About a year later, my son and I were up in that neck of the woods, and I went looking for it again. It was closed.
Sigh.

Reaction Score
Forgot about this place. Bushel 'N Peck in Worcester. They have 4 locations now (2 in Worcester, Grafton and Clinton). Awesome sandwiches and cheap Worcester prices for what you get. One of the bread options is their own baked Italian bread. They take a whole loaf and a sandwich is made on half of the loaf. My favorite was the Blowzer - Roast beef, turkey, corned beef, provolone cheese, swiss cheese, L-T-O, mustard, and mayo (I don't get mustard) on an italian bread. Awesome sandwich.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
After spending nearly 20 years on the road driving to small Midwest towns I never eat out unless I'm cruisin' somewhere. Two of my favorite homemade sandwiches are the BELT; bacon, fried egg, lettuce, and tomato on toast and what I call the WIMPY burger; ground chuck cheeseburger topped with thousand island dressing. These, of course, are not your upscale restaurant/diner sandwiches but they are very tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom