OT: Yellowstone NP 2016 | The Boneyard

OT: Yellowstone NP 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The time has come to start planning a trip to Yellowstone for next summer and I figure 1 year away isn't too soon to plan.

So...first off...what is the most direct way to get there via flight and car rental.

Then I would enjoy hearing the anecdotes of Yarders who have been there and where to go and where to not go due to a place being a let down.

We look to be out there at least 12 days.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I gotta make a shameless plug here.

I work for a website that takes user input and automatically generates plans of what to see and do on vacation. It doesn't quite match expert human advice, but it can come pretty close and it takes a lot less time than researching dozens of sites on your own.

If you make an itinerary from the Yellowstone National Park page, you'll get some good suggestions and information that you can use on your trip. Twelve days is a lot longer than the site's recommended three, so you'd have to do a fair bit of customizing. You'll get a lot of suggestions in nearby Grand Teton National Park.

Most attraction recommendations you would get from friends will be in our system, so you can always add them to your plan.

Thanks, and sorry again for the promo post.

Reaction Score
You got anything on the Dominican Republic Marty Funkhouser?

PS... Your _____ is in the sink!

Reaction Score
The time has come to start planning a trip to Yellowstone for next summer and I figure 1 year away isn't too soon to plan.

So...first off...what is the most direct way to get there via flight and car rental.

Then I would enjoy hearing the anecdotes of Yarders who have been there and where to go and where to not go due to a place being a let down.

Thanks.
watch out for bears...

Reaction Score
Flew into Salt Lake City and drove up there. It's not bad of a drive considering the speed limit is 80 mph over there.

Reaction Score

Thanks.
Its also my next planned roadtrip (2 weeks) from CT with the Mrs. Probably in 2017. Are you doing a RV rental or plane/car?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Its also my next planned roadtrip (2 weeks) from CT with the Mrs. Probably in 2017. Are you doing a RV rental or plane/car?
If at all possible fly to some destination close to the park. Otherwise you will spend 4-6 days of your vacation driving and a day to recover.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Plane/car. Am okay with going to a Salt Lake City which could see us go through Jackson Hole.

Reaction Score

Thanks.
Don't take any selfies with a buffalo.

Reaction Score
Its a beautiful place as are the Tetons. The only thing I wasn't prepared for was how much of it was singed. Just not part of my experience at the time.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Thanks.
Love this park! Been there seven times. It's a toss up between Acadia and Yellowstone for my favorite parks with Yosemite and the Grand Canyon not far behind. Closest airport is Bozemon Montana. Tourist trap town but right outside the NW corner of the park. Cody Wyoming is not much further. It will give you a Northeastern approach. Unfortunately it's been too many years since I've been to Cody, but that rodeo town was special by itself. Plus there is a really pretty drive from Cody to the park entrance.

This park is a nature lover's paradise. There is a figure 8 road system that gets you to the various sections of the park. If you like hiking, this park gives people incredible choices. The park has an incredible lake, spectacular waterfalls and mountains, geothermal features not found in many places in the world, and animals running free that, when you encounter them, you get a thrill that isn't the same as seeing them in the zoo. I would just recommend not to be an idiot like I once chose to be.

Some hikers told my wife and I to stop heading in the direction we were going because there was evidence a Grizzly might be in the area. Ignored the advice and came upon a mother and two cubs. We were about two hundred yards from them and stopped. Well I stopped. My wife immediately ran back towards the trail head. Never realized she could move so fast. I scrambled for my camera and was about to take pictures when the mother elevated on her hind legs and turned her head in my direction. I looked right into her eyes and although their sight is limited I felt she was looking deep into my soul. If you are knowledgeable about Grizzlies, this is the moment you are getting your death sentence. I'm trying to decide should I roll into a ball and play dead or try to run (stupid choice). After about thirty seconds she got back down on all fours and resumed eating. That was my cue to do what I should have done in the first place and head back towards the trail head. We kept eyes on each other for what seemed like an eternity. Probably was only another ten seconds or so.

The time needed to enjoy this park depends on the individual. My wife and I were on our third trip and had elected to stay two weeks just in this park wishing it could have been the entire summer. At one beautiful spot another couple started talking with us gushing how terrific this park was. At first we got the impression they had been there for a month but they were ending their trip after two days.

Not sure how the fishing is now but it was a fly fisherman's paradise. Water is ice cold given that it is fed by mountain snow packs but there were a couple of places the geysers fed into the water and far enough away from the geysers to make it quite comfortable to swim.

We loved staying at various places in the park because it reduced the driving time. For the most part the accommodations were rustic. Not sure how they are now. Loved the Roosevelt Lodge area in the NE part of the park because it was the least touristy. The downside is most of the areas we preferred to see were 1-2 hours from that site. When we first went to the park, in the mid seventies, there were not many tourists and most of them were around Old Faithful. That quickly changed. From what I understand attendance is down at National Parks and that means the enjoyment factor will be even greater than when lots of tourists are there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We flew into Bozeman, MT with a layover in Minneapolis. 12 days is a LONG time to spend in the park. Make sure you do the following: raft the Yellowstone River which runs in Gardiner, MT on the NW corner of the park, Mammouth Springs, the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, and take time to soak in the scenery. It's truly a beautiful place. Old Faithful to me was overrated but it's a necessity. Try to make it down to the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole, WY. You'll have plenty of time.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Can you give some hiking trails that you would recommend?
Go to the park site. They give a pretty detailed description of the trails.

Reaction Score
If at all possible fly to some destination close to the park. Otherwise you will spend 4-6 days of your vacation driving and a day to recover.
Good point, upon arrival is it best to do car & hotel, or rent small rv at flight destination?

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
If you're going all the way to Yellowstone and don't also go to Grand Teton you're doing it wrong. Yellowstone is vast and has a ton of different things to see and do, but the hikes in Grand Teton are significantly better.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Good point, upon arrival is it best to do car & hotel, or rent small rv at flight destination?
Depends on what you are trying to get from your experience. If you want to see a lot of things, an RV is going to limit your ability to pass the vehicles that have decided to slow down and observe a bison walking near the road. The roads are only one lane in each direction. Now you may want to observe this bison as well the first few times but after a while you may want to start looking for something more exotic like moose. Remember this park is 2/3 the size of Connecticut and there are interesting things to see in every section.

On the other hand if the RV experience is special for you there aren't too many places prettier in this country to have this experience.

My preference would be to stay in the park in an accommodation that fits your lifestyle and is closest to the things you want to see. The middle of the eight has accommodations that, although not close to anything and are the least beautiful, afford you the opportunity to explore all areas of the park without driving too long.

First couple of times my wife and I stayed outside the park tenting for five days. It was the only way we were able to afford the adventure. You can go far with camp sites at seven dollars, gasoline around 5o cents and a cooler with a loaf of white bread and peanut butter and jelly. We drove around the loop stopping a several of the roadside pull offs and not much else and fell in love with the place. So we knew the areas of the park we wanted to explore in much more detail on our next several trips. At first we stayed in rustic places, but as the bodies got older and we had a little more money we went for mattresses.

Reaction Score
Flew to Boise and then to Idaho Falls. Fairly easy drive from there to Jackson and then back from West Yellowstone, so you don't have to backtrack on ground. I would suggest a visit to Jackson and Grand Teton park as part of your trip. We stayed at the Rusty Parrot - very nice rooms, great food and convenient. Great fun to raft on the Snake River.

We enjoyed all of Yellowstone, but highlights were certainly the geysers, the canyon and falls (do the brink of the lower falls trail), and mammoth hot springs. Lots of opportunity to see animals everywhere - look for crowds along the road and be careful around the bison. We visited in September and the elk were really active, with bulls bugling everywhere. Don't know if it's still there, but there was a great swimming hole nearby Mammoth in the river where warm water entered. You regulate your temperature by getting closer to the heated water or closer to the cold river water. Some of the most memorable days were pretty low-key - like spending a late afternoon sitting along a river with a bottle of wine watching the pelicans (yes, pelicans!). Don't remember being very impressed with the lodging, but the Lake Hotel was nice and and the Old Faithful Inn lobby is pretty scenic.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Flew to Boise and then to Idaho Falls. Fairly easy drive from there to Jackson and then back from West Yellowstone, so you don't have to backtrack on ground. I would suggest a visit to Jackson and Grand Teton park as part of your trip. We stayed at the Rusty Parrot - very nice rooms, great food and convenient. Great fun to raft on the Snake River.

We enjoyed all of Yellowstone, but highlights were certainly the geysers, the canyon and falls (do the brink of the lower falls trail), and mammoth hot springs. Lots of opportunity to see animals everywhere - look for crowds along the road and be careful around the bison. We visited in September and the elk were really active, with bulls bugling everywhere. Don't know if it's still there, but there was a great swimming hole nearby Mammoth in the river where warm water entered. You regulate your temperature by getting closer to the heated water or closer to the cold river water. Some of the most memorable days were pretty low-key - like spending a late afternoon sitting along a river with a bottle of wine watching the pelicans (yes, pelicans!). Don't remember being very impressed with the lodging, but the Lake Hotel was nice and and the Old Faithful Inn lobby is pretty scenic.
This pretty much covers the highlights!

Reaction Score
Flew to Bozeman (via Minneapolis) as being the nearest airport and is very easy to get in and out of....
Went in May just as park was really opening up, before the Summer time traffic.

Car rental in Bozeman in May was el cheapo with deals because May is low season and they rented me an Infiniti QX80 (luxury bigger vehicle) for $225 for the week. Got the upgrade deal in person after booking economy car ahead of time. Glad I got the bigger vehicle (above the guard rails) to travel and photog & see the animals plus gear (fishing and photo).

Stay in NW section of the park first night (Mammoth Springs) closest to Bozeman. See Jimmy's post on big sights like Canyon of Yellowstone etc.

GET A DECENT CAMERA with a ZOOM. Able to get a great shot on a momma grizzly and cubs at 75 yds just off the road. Buffalo, Elk, Deer, Black Bear, Grizzlies, Moose, Bighorn sheep, Antelope, Coyotes. Saw the biologists tracking the radio collared wolves. pretty cool.

Also stayed at the Snow Lodge and at Old Faithful Inn.
Left through the west entrance back thru and flyfish the Madison River.
Was in the park 7 days. Need at least 5 days to see everything.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Have not been there but went to Mt Rushmore in 2012 (drove from Minneapolis). There were a lot of tourists who were visiting both locations. If you're going to be in that timezone, I think it's worth checking out Rushmore even though there is not a lot to it. There's a lazer light show on the mountain at night, the local town is wrapped in the mountains and quaint. Crazy horse monument is still under construction. We went to Custer state park, which you wouldn't even bother with as you'll be visiting much better parks.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Since moving to Montana 13 years ago my wife and I have been in the park about 30 different times. Delta has a commuter flight during the summer from Salt Lake City that flying right into West Yellowstone. The next nearest airport would be Bozeman which is about 1.5 Hrs north of Gardiner, the north entrance to YNP.

All the Park roads open by the end of May If you fly into Billings, go thru Red Lodge MT which is a beautiful western town and than over Beartooth Highway which many people feel is the most scenic highway in America. If you take this road it drops you into Cooke City which is a cool town in summer and winter for snowmobiling. You would enter the Park at the NE entrance and go through the Lamar Valley which we feel is the best road for wildlife viewing The later in the summer you go, the fewer animals you will see since most move up into the high mountains by the end of June with the exception of buffalo that seems to be everywhere. Two years ago we went in the 3rd week of may and the first 2 days we say 18 bear, 15 of which were grizzly. If you want any more info from me, drop me a line.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer