OT: World Cup | Page 26 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone looks at that 2002 team like they were gods, but in reality they struggled through qualifying, got out to a hot start against Portugal, then were lucky not to concede 3 straight goals to end with a draw. The draw against South Korea was good, but they were then blown out by Poland. All they had to do to make the quarters was beat a Mexico team they were familiar with and had beat before. The game against Germany was a gem, and we were unlucky there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I am only backseat driver who coaches U8 teams and played in high schools, so I know nothing and also have the benefit of hindsight, that said, if I was the coach and could make changes now, this is what I would d.

• Landon Donovan would be on the team as a critical creative/offensive reserve player who can play up front as a ‘need to get a goal’ striker or as a creative midfield on the wings or the middle in case that injuries/card mount. I would drop Brad Davis for him as it does not appear to that Davis will see the pitch at all this Cup, which is a waste of space. Zusi can handle the set pieces
  • I can see ‘wasting’ space on Julian Green as a nod to 2018 and hope that, if needed, he can add a spark to the team in the right spot.
  • Jozy’s injury made me realize that the US does not have anyone on the squad to be that physical, holding striker and Jozy takes a pounding every game. Thus, as Johansson adds speed and ball control, I would drop Wondolowski for Eddie Johnson (head case and all) or Terrence Anthony Boyd (not as experienced, less of a head case). I like Wondo; but, his nose for the goal can be replaced by Donovan, who offers more as a player.
  • I was not impressed at all with Tim Chanlder in the warm-ups and would prefer to have the experience and flexibility that Parkhurst offers. Chandler seems to be another player that may never see the pitch this Cup and the US can only afford 1 2018 roster spot on the 2014 team.
  • I initially wanted someone else, maybe Feilhaber or Corona as an extra midfielder to replace Yedlin; but, I no longer feel that way. Watching Yedlin run an exhausted Portugal team ragged with his speed and drive has made a believer out of me in that he a role to place on this year’s team. If he develops, having Yeldin and Johnson, who has been the 4th best player this Cup so far (Howard, Jones, Dempsey?) playing the edge defenders and pushing up on offense for the US beyond 2014 makes me smile.
  • Also on defense, initially I would have taken Goodson and his experience over Omar as one of the extra center backs, who always run into card issues, accepting that Brooks was the ‘development’ roster spot. After the first two games, I still feel that way; but, Goodson or Brooks would start for me in game 3 as Cameron surprisingly poor (Bradley’s performance has been more surprising; but, the US has no one the replace Bradley). Omar does nothing for me.

As this is not going to happen, I will go to the bar in Hoboken on Tuesday grateful that the US has 4 points and not 0 and route for the USA to advance

Surprisingly, I agree with all of this. Not a comment on you, just unusual to bein agreement on so many points.

Julian Greene: I like that move. JK is leading the push to find the best players he can and to do what needs to be done to get them. I like that. I hope Julian gets at least a minute in this cup to lock him in.

Eddie Johnson: I'd have put him on. He'd only be a reserve anyway, and there's nothing wrong with a little crazy now and then.

I was happy Yedlin was initially on the team only because I like the prep for the future (hence my Julian Greene comments). Love Johnson on the wing so far. Def 4th best showing. Brooksy looking good too.

On Michael Bradley, I want him to sit so bad. He's surprisingly been our biggest hole so far. If we had Lando, I'd play him in the center for the second half of games. I know it's not his ideal position, but LD is flexible, and he'd have to be able to do more with the ball than MB has done. Neither plays much (any) D anyways.

Chandler is not very good. Would have been happy to see him at home.

Totally agree with the Cameron/Goodson comments. I like Cameron and he's got some experience, but he was not strong last game. The fact is, you can make mistakes, but super critical errors like that can't happen, or you go home.

Reaction Score
Everyone looks at that 2002 team like they were gods, but in reality they struggled through qualifying, got out to a hot start against Portugal, then were lucky not to concede 3 straight goals to end with a draw. The draw against South Korea was good, but they were then blown out by Poland. All they had to do to make the quarters was beat a Mexico team they were familiar with and had beat before. The game against Germany was a gem, and we were unlucky there.

They definitely had their stumbles, but they are revered simply because they've gone further than other US team in a modern World Cup, making the quarters at the expense of their rival, then going toe to toe with a heavyweight.

It's what separates them from the other US teams, some of which might be superior.

Think of that team as Uconn and all the other US teams as Syracuse.

Reaction Score
They definitely had their stumbles, but they are revered simply because they've gone further than other US team in a modern World Cup, making the quarters at the expense of their rival, then going toe to toe with a heavyweight.

It's what separates them from the other US teams, some of which might be superior.

Think of that team as Uconn and all the other US teams as Syracuse.

I really think of them fondly because O'Brien and Reyna dominated. You simply don't see US players go against the best in the world and get the better of them. US needs to win with team play, but for once they had the best midfielders in many games, AND also goalkeeping.

Reaction Score
I think Spain's great generation peetering out and England looking untalented (which they are) has people thinking too much about Europe.

Germany and Holland have performed well, and I think Belgium is actually coming on. France looks dangerous. Though Italy is a huge question mark.

When you look at the backdrop, it should not surprise that England has underwhelmned. Spain had to go through this sooner or later. It happened to France several years ago--same thing.

As for the USA, I love the way they are playing, though I'd personally put Claudio Reyna's South Korean edition as the top US squad I've ever seen. This one may come very close if the core stays together another 4 years.

The common theme is the MONEY. Like our Conference Realignment stuff.

MONEY from the Premier League; and no money for most all of the MLS players are supposed to mean that we never develop.

First, I have read lots of stuff praising the English youth (Sterling, Barkley, etc) and I just didn't see it. None of them are nearly as transcendant as some of the other players we've seen. The Klinnsmann pick up of 5 German kids shows that America has reach beyond MLS and our College system. In the future, I expect that we could see a lot of good young kids through our system; far more insuring future better teams than England.

Then ... I think MLS - after what I am watching & feeling - is a good buy. Buy a Franchise here. It's not going to be $2B like the Clippers & you are bound to see upside as there WILL be more soccer on TV. (think it costs $50m for a MLS franchise).

I think I read 32% of the EPL are English today. And not a lot of kids go to other leagues because of pay. Doesn't seem their Apprenticeship system is promoting speed and solid kids. I think the Central, South, African countries all have more impressive athletes. With skill.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I could watch 90 minutes of the camera focused entirely on Miguel Herrera. Most entertaining coach at this tournament.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Klinnsmann pick up of 5 German kids shows that America has reach beyond MLS and our College system. In the future, I expect that we could see a lot of good young kids through our system; far more insuring future better teams than England.

Then ... I think MLS - after what I am watching & feeling - is a good buy. Buy a Franchise here. It's not going to be $2B like the Clippers & you are bound to see upside as there WILL be more soccer on TV. (think it costs $50m for a MLS franchise).

I think I read 32% of the EPL are English today. And not a lot of kids go to other leagues because of pay. Doesn't seem their Apprenticeship system is promoting speed and solid kids. I think the Central, South, African countries all have more impressive athletes. With skill.

Agreed on money. If a kid can't grow up to think he'll be rich and famous from soccer (or at least make a great living), it's more difficult to get the youth movement committed for the long haul.

I personally love the fact that JK has gone overseas to poach players. It's about time. I'm thankful he has the clout to convince them to play for the USMNT. Other countries do this all the time, including many of the best teams. How many Brazilians have you seen playing on National Teams around the world. A fair number in my time watching.

On England, even their transcendent guys from this generation haven't panned out on the international stage. Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard....not great results.

Let's face it, there aren't a ton of world class English athletes (in soccer). Some great, great players, but nobody you'd mistake for a . Gareth Bale was born too far to the left.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more. If Germany and the US tie, Germany wins the group. The question to me is how aggressive does the US come out and play. Usually in a decisive game 3 where a tie advances both teams, you will net a nil-nil result. Germany will almost certainly sit back, play conservatively, and by the 70th minute, have its 3 key players on the bench resting. The wild card for once is us.

You're welcome to disagree. But we'll see on Thurdsay if you're right. I've NEVER in my life seen Germany play for a tie. Literally NEVER. And why would a team play for the tie when they feel they are the superior team on the field? But hey...I've been wrong before...

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I could watch 90 minutes of the camera focused entirely on Miguel Herrera. Most entertaining coach at this tournament.

1402004946.jpg

“He asked me for a photo,” wrote Herrera. “I don’t know who he is … but I made the kid’s day.”

Reaction Score
One of the great and truly astounding indicators of the growth of the game with the American sporting public is that there were 200,000 World Cup tickets bought by Americans(per FIFA). Far and away the largest allotment. And when you combine that with number of packed(with hysterical American fans) city centers with large screen TVs across this country and in Rio(by the way), it is testimony of the "love" for the game that is developing border to border. Granted the World Cup is a hyper-example for lack of a better term; but "football" is here to stay thank God. The international passion that comes along with it not only energizes the game but brings us all closer together( if only for awhile).

GO USA!!!
BEAT GERMANY!!!
451054502-1024x649.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
One of the great and truly astounding indicators of the growth of the game with the American sporting public is that there were 200,000 World Cup tickets bought by Americans(per FIFA). Far and away the largest allotment. And when you combine that with number of packed(with hysterical American fans) city centers with large screen TVs across this country and in Rio(by the way), it is testimony of the "love" for the game that is developing border to border. Granted the World Cup is a hyper-example for lack of a better term; but "football" is here to stay thank God. The international passion that comes along with it not only energizes the game but brings us all closer together( if only for awhile).

Both Ruud van Nistelrooy and Roberto Martinez said they were astounded by scenes of US support. It lead them to conclude that US Soccer has arrived and will only take off in popularity from here.

I give ESPN a lot of (deserved) on here, but I will say one thing, when they decide to support a sport (in there own interest obv), it plays a significant part in that sports growth nationally. It's definitely helped soccer over the past 5-10 years.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
huggggee game tomorrow with Italy vs Uruguay, i think De Rossi is out for Italy

Reaction Score
the man! Love this dude, brings it every night!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 30
Reaction Score
True, but I'll be more happy to have Altidore back. I'm hoping he'll be able to go. That said, if he can only play one half at less than his normal work rate, that could hinder the US more than help. I miss Brian McBride.

I'd most rather have help on the back line though.

I was thinking about that back line, but the twp studs were Pope and Sanneh. Besler and Johnson are pretty good replacements for them. I wouldn't want Agoos.
What this team needs is another creative attacker, but a world-class target man like McBride wouldn't hurt.

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
I don't think he even bothered to pay attention on D yesterday, never mind put forth the effort to play some.

I streamed the game in terrible quality and got about 20 minutes of the second half. In that time I saw Bradley dispossess Portuguese midfielders twice in our defensive third. I'm not sure I agree with all the Bradley criticism. The reason he doesn't look dominant is because it's Portugal. Guy played a great game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I streamed the game in terrible quality and got about 20 minutes of the second half. In that time I saw Bradley dispossess Portuguese midfielders twice in our defensive third. I'm not sure I agree with all the Bradley criticism. The reason he doesn't look dominant is because it's Portugal. Guy played a great game.

Ok, so you admit you didn't see most of the game? There was a stretch where he played well, but it was made completely irrelevant in context of the total game. At the end of the day, he was one of the 4 worst players for the US against Portugal. Maybe even number 2 behind Cameron (who only gets it because of gaffs).

There were times when Bradley literally jogged and let offensive players run right by him for attacking chances. He missed one of the bunny's of the tournament. His lack of headiness about game situation resulted in Portugal's final goal as well. It's possible to go on and on, but it's beating a dead horse at this point.

Remember, this is our center midfielder and supposedly one of our top players. A guy who lives off his ability to pass and posses properly. Yet he's one of the bottom 5 or so right now of the starters in WC play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bradley covered more ground than anyone else in the game last night, by literally a kilometer. He made some bad plays, but after running 7.6 miles in 90+ degree heat and 90+ percent humidity, he probably wasn't at his best, and I'm not surprised that he got pushed off that ball at the end. Given that Jurgen had another sub available, I would have liked to have seen Mix there.

Reaction Score
I don't think that Germany will pull a West Germany-Austria with us. But I do think that there are certain conditions where they will dial down the intensity level and be content to coast it out.

If Germany goes up 2-0, I think they start subbing out their important players and taking their foot off the gas. Not that that helps the US; if we lose 2-0 we have a good chance of being out of the World Cup.

If the game is tied at 1-1, 2-2, or what have you after 75 or 80 minutes, I think they stop making strong moves on offense, especially if the US has already managed to burn them on counters for our own goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom