OT - WNBA Double Header today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - WNBA Double Header today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agree it was an awful call. I mean REALLY awful. But Phoenix shouldn't have left it up to the refs. They allowed MN to make an 18-point comeback - that wasn't the refs' fault. If they had taken care of business and preserved at least part of the lead they built, then the outcome would have been in their own hands, not the refs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
WNBA issues statement on the call in the Lynx/Merc game:

NEW YORK, Sept. 28, 2015 – Renee Brown, WNBA Chief of Basketball Operations and Player Relations, issued the following statement today regarding the foul call with 1.5 seconds to play in the fourth quarter of the Minnesota Lynx’s 72-71 win over the Phoenix Mercury on Sunday at Talking Stick Resort Arena:

“With 5.4 seconds on the game clock and the game tied at 71-71, Minnesota’s Maya Moore deflected and stole a pass from Phoenix’s Noelle Quinn. Quinn was immediately called for a reach-in foul for contact on Moore. After reviewing postgame video and interviewing last night’s game officials, we have determined a foul should not have been called on Quinn for contact on Moore while Moore was attempting to advance the ball.”

To view the play, click on the following link: http://www.wnba.com/video/final-seconds-of-game-2-of-the-western-conference-finals

BTW, Amy Bonner is the official who called the foul.
Amy BONNER? Related to DeWanna??

Reaction Score
WBB both College and WNBA The worst officials in any sport in the world! This tops all the other incompetent calls they make everyday, every game!
With this notification from the League dare we hope that changes will be made to training and evaluating the refs that do WNBA games?

Reaction Score
WBB both College and WNBA The worst officials in any sport in the world! This tops all the other incompetent calls they make everyday, every game!
With this notification from the League dare we hope that changes will be made to training and evaluating the refs that do WNBA games?
At least they're not corrupt, like boxing and figure skating

Reaction Score
A bad call does not make a referee bad or incompetent. In issuing the statement, the WNBA does not deny that there was contact, they felt that it should have been a no call. A sentiment shared by an overwhelming consensus given the situation and the nature of basketball.
Officiating is a tough job in all sports. Baseball, tennis, you name it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I enjoyed Vandersloot's tweet when that call happened.

Just about sums it up.

I like the hypothesis that I read on twitter. Maybe the ref thought Phoenix was down and was fouling Maya to stop the clock? Somehow it makes it more understandable for me if the ref was confused. Otherwise the call is strictly horrendous.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That call was bad, but I also don't like the fact that Brondello put the ball in the hands of Quinn instead of Currie on the final offensive play. I also didn't like that Bonner fouled Maya under the basket to pick up her 6th foul, just sending Maya to the line to drain two free throws. She had to know that she was too important to be on the bench at the end of the game and should have just given up the two points.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I enjoyed Vandersloot's tweet when that call happened.

Just about sums it up.

I like the hypothesis that I read on twitter. Maybe the ref thought Phoenix was down and was fouling Maya to stop the clock? Somehow it makes it more understandable for me if the ref was confused. Otherwise the call is strictly horrendous.

She would have to be an idiot to think that was an intentional foul. These refs have been around long enough to recognize an intentional foul. It was just a case of a ref with a happy whistle.

Reaction Score
When Mike Thibault lost a choker to Indiana 3 years ago he was fired by CT Sun management! Leaving us with the unstoppable Anne Donovan! I bet NY Liberty management shows more class to Bill Laimbeer after the clunker the Liberty played at home vs the same Indiana Fever yesterday!
The Liberty lost because they faced a determined, unequaled force of nature, Tamika Catchings! One of the greatest COMPETITORS in any sport, any era, anywhere! And even though MN will be slight favorites, they better have a 20 point lead entering each games 4th quarter, to fight off the Fever's furious come back!

Reaction Score
A bad call does not make a referee bad or incompetent. In issuing the statement, the WNBA does not deny that there was contact, they felt that it should have been a no call. A sentiment shared by an overwhelming consensus given the situation and the nature of basketball.
Officiating is a tough job in all sports. Baseball, tennis, you name it.

VAUConnFan- - -All true, but in the WNBA the icompitence is constant by all the refs making the same mistakes over, & over, & over again! Because no-one is evaluating and criticizing them from positions of power! Not one ref is held accountable for their actions/calls!
If you could talk to ANY coach or player in the WNBA, off the record, they, to a man or woman, would say the officials in the League suck big-time, every game!
It is obvious, the WNBA does not care about the competency of their officials, otherwise they would have addressed the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom