OT: Windows 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes or no? Thinking about making the free upgrade. I'm hesitant because I thought Windows 7 was great.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
As an IT Security guy, I say do it if only to stay as current as possible. But, feel free to back up your data before you pull the trigger... You never know.

Reaction Score
As an IT Security guy, I say do it if only to stay as current as possible. But, feel free to back up your data before you pull the trigger... You never know.
I was told that 10 is for people who are stuck with 8 and 8.1 running their computers. If you have Windows 7 stay with it, at least that's what a friend told me. I have closed all of the Win 10 tries that Microsoft is pushing, so far so good. I did get a new PC to get from XP to 7.

Reaction Score
Funny this post came up. I upgraded my windows 8 PC after all turning down many prompts. Terrible mistake. Worked well for about a month and half. Now the thing doesn't let me access the start menu, and most programs are not there despite the shortcuts on the desktop. I've tried system restore but its been fruitless. Pissed about it.

Reaction Score
Have you done an upgrade? Does it upgrade just the OS? Leave your apps in place? The thought of reinstalling everything is what stopped me. I'm using 8.1 and it isn't as terrible as some claim, especially for what little I need it for.

Reaction Score
10 is great. No issue except with my Logitech keyboard and mouse.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yes or no? Thinking about making the free upgrade. I'm hesitant because I thought Windows 7 was great.

It blows - as far as I am concerned. My company laptop is still Windows 7 and runs like a charm - with a logical layout. My home PC was Window 8, then 8.1 and now 10. All three stink - except W10 is at least a little less stinky then 8 and 8.1. The best sign W10 is a loser is the fact nobody in my house ever wants to use it, we'd all rather use our ipad or Windows 7 machines from work.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Made the change at home. I like it. I still use 7 at work.

Reaction Score
Have you done an upgrade? Does it upgrade just the OS? Leave your apps in place? The thought of reinstalling everything is what stopped me. I'm using 8.1 and it isn't as terrible as some claim, especially for what little I need it for.
Keep it. Read my post above. Everything was there after the upgrade but mysteriously overnight the thing crapped out. It starts up and looks normal but everything is gone and you can't access the start menu at all. I think it happened after one of their "critical updates". SMH.

Reaction Score
I have upgraded my computer and the kids computer at home with it and have not had a problem, however I did a clean install and wiped the HD's. My wife's computer, we tried the upgrade to the existing and it doesn't work. It gets to a certain point and then just starts over. As someone who builds his own computers, I think a fresh install of any OS is always better than an upgrade to a years old install. I do a fresh install every 2 years or so. If you don't have a NAS or some USB drive to copy your files over, I can understand it can be annoying. As far as my opinion of Win10, I do not have any problems, my computer boots to the OS within 20 seconds. It is not a system hog like previous versions of their OS, including Win7. Yes the layout is different than Win7, it has the tiles, and they try and "force" you to use a Windows account, which if you think about it, is the same thing you probably have been doing with Google if you have a Google account. All it does is store your favorites, and app settings so that no matter which computer you log into, your layout will be the same. Just a step farther than Google saving your web browser settings. You can opt not to do that and just use a local account on your PC. Lastly, if the new layout bugs you, I am sure you can remove stuff so that it has a "Classic" appearance or feel. I got rid of the tiles on the kids computer and kept them on mine so I could "force" myself to learn the new functionality, who know there may be a better way to do things!

Reaction Score
Will not change over from 7.
windows 8/ 8.1 was terrible.....

Have been advised by my IT consultants to leave all my systems on 7 until another 9 months and any
"problems" or "bugs " have been worked out..... I am going to let them get to an enhanced version of 10.
The cost to purchase 10 is insignificant to any potential difficulties that may arise.

Reaction Score
I was going to keep 7 no question until I had to reformat my HD on Saturday for the first time since I bought it in 09. In the process of downloading and installing 6 years of windows updates I figured why the hell not. I was also a little worried Windows would pull with 7 what they did with xp almost two years ago which is stop supporting it. So I upgraded, it's installed and I haven't had more than a few minutes to screw around with it yet.

Reaction Score
I bought a MAC Mini and solved all of my problems. I'll never buy another Microsoft product.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I bought a MAC Mini and solved all of my problems. I'll never buy another Microsoft product.
That is where I have to go next. MAC for home computing is expensive, but I am tired of poor cloud/internet viewer/virus software inter-operability. Currently my w10 machine is fighting me on family account settings and norton anti virus software.

Reaction Score
I've been told to avoid it like the plague.
For $699. Not bad. Lower model $499. The reg MACS are too much horse power. The mini is perfect for home use. I bought a HP 27" screen.

I need a desktop. I can't use my phone or tablet all the time.

Reaction Score
I have upgraded my computer and the kids computer at home with it and have not had a problem, however I did a clean install and wiped the HD's. My wife's computer, we tried the upgrade to the existing and it doesn't work. It gets to a certain point and then just starts over. As someone who builds his own computers, I think a fresh install of any OS is always better than an upgrade to a years old install. I do a fresh install every 2 years or so. If you don't have a NAS or some USB drive to copy your files over, I can understand it can be annoying. As far as my opinion of Win10, I do not have any problems, my computer boots to the OS within 20 seconds. It is not a system hog like previous versions of their OS, including Win7. Yes the layout is different than Win7, it has the tiles, and they try and "force" you to use a Windows account, which if you think about it, is the same thing you probably have been doing with Google if you have a Google account. All it does is store your favorites, and app settings so that no matter which computer you log into, your layout will be the same. Just a step farther than Google saving your web browser settings. You can opt not to do that and just use a local account on your PC. Lastly, if the new layout bugs you, I am sure you can remove stuff so that it has a "Classic" appearance or feel. I got rid of the tiles on the kids computer and kept them on mine so I could "force" myself to learn the new functionality, who know there may be a better way to do things!
Thanks for the input. Just not in the mood to play with computers outside of work, and was hoping the in-place would work. Just more to think about now. Thanks again!

Reaction Score
Exit 4 said:
That is where I have to go next. MAC for home computing is expensive, but I am tired of poor cloud/internet viewer/virus software inter-operability. Currently my w10 machine is fighting me on family account settings and norton anti virus software.

I got tired of my wife calling me in a panic every time a printer driver failed or wifi stopped working. I went all Mac about 5 years ago. Changed my life. And I was always an Apple hater.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I got tired of my wife calling me in a panic every time a printer driver failed or wifi stopped working. I went all Mac about 5 years ago. Changed my life. And I was always an Apple hater.
Was always wary of Apple, but with the first iPhone I decided all in.

Have been pleasantly surprised by how easy home computing has become. Not issue free because interwebz are interwebz. But very happy on the dark side now.

Reaction Score
Was always wary of Apple, but with the first iPhone I decided all in.

Have been pleasantly surprised by how easy home computing has become. Not issue free because interwebz are interwebz. But very happy on the dark side now.

I don't love how embedded I am in the Apple Ecosystem (it is like the Hotel California) but oh well - everything works.

Apple TVs/MacBook Pros/MacBook Airs/iPads/iPhones - I'm not sure they make a product I don't own at least one of.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score

I upgraded my desktop from 8.1 (same opinion about it as you) over the holidays and so far so good. All my apps stayed in place during the upgrade. The reasons I upgraded from 8.1 is my wife could never get comfortable without the Start button (yes - I know there were 3rd-party add-ons to replace the Start button with something close) and the price (free).

I'm holding off on upgrading my laptop as that's still at 7 and we have zero issues with it.

Reaction Score
I think 10 is better than 8, but not as good as 7.

^^^^ This. I like 10 and hated 8.

I will never buy an I-Phone, but MACS can make life easier. My wife is techno-phobic so the MAC is perfect for her. I still run a PC and that works for us. I believe they are going to stop pushing patches for 8. If true, you almost have to upgrade to 10. I am not a big tech guy so please correct me if I am wrong about that.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I got a new Surface, Windows 10 is mostly great. There was a display driver issue that was resolved with an update except for times when I switch from another window to firefox browser... it doesn't render. Minimize/restore fixes the rendering. Weird.

I upgraded on my home desktop, so far so good there.

If you are the type that doesn't like corporations, and hence, the NSA, having access to your data, you'll want to avoid 10. If you encrypt a hard drive, microsoft saves a copy of the key in the cloud. It is possible to remove it, just be sure that you have access to the key. I understand why they did it, some number of users will lose the key and having it in the cloud is handy. The operating system is becoming more and more cloud based, which privacy advocates will not like. It depends how paranoid you are. But I think (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), microsoft is hosting this data in Europe which is slightly less prone to snooping by the US government.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Just uninstall Norton and use the free, integrated Windows Defender. Then download the free version of MalwareBytes and do an occasional scan with it. You'll have no problems and be good to go. Norton is not really necessary or worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom