OT Windows 10 - Should You Upgrade? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Windows 10 - Should You Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Windows 10 has serious privacy problems. Here is a link on how to avoid most of them during installation. I haven't installed 10 yet myself because of the driver problems reported after, driver updates used to be listed as optional but are now automatic. This has caused some serious problems, especially with video drivers.
The link to privacy problems: http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT8b6VsZVo5kA2zdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMHZ0NG9yBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM3BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1439090555/RO=10/RU=http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html/RK=0/RS=lyJj3O.3CU99awZiwZGDuSXaCkk-

Reaction Score
Personally, I am waiting a month or two for Microsoft to get all the feedbacks and fixes the bugs. Not negative on Win 10 all software even billion dollar development systems have bugs for years after. You have to input the right combination of key strokes with the right applications for some bugs to show up. I don't expect ALL applications to operate smoothly initially with Win 10. I'm holding with Win 7 and all my old Applications.
Couldn't agree with you more! I'm on Windows 7 and don't care to be on the bleeding edge.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...10-forced-updates-causing-endless-crash-loop/

Reaction Score
I do a lot of my work on the Mac too. I wish I could switch over completely. Some software vendors, e.g., Intuit, still have some of their better software running on Windows and the port to equivalent software on the Mac is not seamless.
I use Parallels to run a concurrent Windows session on my Mac for this reason - mainly my accountant absolutely refused to work with Quickbooks for Mac. But I only use it when absolutely necessary, and I use the Mac version for all the Office software. Can't really tell the difference on Word, but I'm not a sophisticated Word user. I'm more of a ninja on Excel, and there are some disadvantages with the Mac version which cause a few extra keystrokes sometimes. Not bad enough for me to go back to Windows though. I also needed some Internet-oriented software that didn't support Safari, so I just use Google Chrome - much less annoying than Internet Explorer or Safari.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cynical---you sound like me. You get what you pay for---if they give you something for free --ask what's in it for them??? Microsoft is now RENTING OFFICE by the year--is that the catch??

The yearly subscription idea for Office is terrific - it's cheap and you're guaranteed to be using the latest version of the software. You also get multiple installs whether it's for a Windows or Mac, tablet or smartphone.

It's a no-brainer for software like Office or Creative Suite.

Reaction Score
Thanks Pete. I did stumble into my old explorer and favs therein under windows accessories, but for the life of me I can't find the import feature you are referencing under settings.
in edge you will see 3 dots in the upper right corner, click on the dots then click settings and you it will be the second item down in blue

Reaction Score
upgraded to W10 and really like it. Faster boot, voice control, clean.
As for sharing info, you can turn all that off if you are paranoid.
If you think Macs do not gather info, you are ill-informed.

p.s. Besides my primary desktop PC, I have 3 laptops - guest room, bedroom, study.
Those are primarily used for email and surfing the net.
The combined price of the 3 laptops was less than the cost of one macbook.

Reaction Score
When you open EDGE go to setting and import your favorites from the bowser you used before including internet explorer. You can also find internet explorer from the start menu under windows accessories. All of your favorites will still be there.

I did a clean install on my (fun) laptop.
It previously had Win 8.1 which IHATED!!! With a classic screen shell, I was able to use it for, basically, internet surfing.
I haven't figgered how to send my favorites to edge quite yet but the whole experience is much more tolerable that the transition from 7 to 8.

I wanted to try some Apps (I know, this is the 21st Century) so, (FWIW) I've found Win 10 MUCH friendlier. I have a feeling that - after a few weeks of play/learning - this (FOR MY FUN LAPTOP) will become my preferred o/s.
That said, because I have a Sql database deal for my business desktop, I won't be "upgrading" that one anytime soon.
PS: The clean install (which I did from a USB device) was seamless.

Reaction Score
Ran the Win 10 tech preview for many months without issues, upgraded 2 of my systems to 10 and like it just fine--all the tech improvements of win 8.1 with user friendliness of Win 7. I will not upgrade my business pc until the IT dept at work starts supporting it, and it's always good advice to wait a couple of months (for any bugs to be worked out) before installing any new OS on your primary system. No issues on either of the 2 pcs that I did upgrade, btw, but it's only been a couple of weeks...

Reaction Score
I second the notion...upgrade to a Mac. I still have a Windows box, but haven't turned it on since I retired 2 years ago. As a developer, that's the platform we used at work, so it made some sense to have a compatible machine of my own in addition to the company PC, but now I just use my Mac...never dies, seldom hiccups at all.

Note: I also had a third machine that had Linux on it, but I don't know that I'd really recommend that for the casual home user.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
upgraded to W10 and really like it. Faster boot, voice control, clean.
As for sharing info, you can turn all that off if you are paranoid.
If you think Macs do not gather info, you are ill-informed.

p.s. Besides my primary desktop PC, I have 3 laptops - guest room, bedroom, study.
Those are primarily used for email and surfing the net.
The combined price of the 3 laptops was less than the cost of one macbook.
Im still trying to understand whats soooo special about the MacBook Pro $1800.00

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Im still trying to understand whats soooo special about the MacBook Pro $1800.00
They start at $1100.
They just work. It's as simple as that.
I've had extensive experience on both. When I worked for IBM and had company support for my ThinkPad, I had fewer problems with my Mac laptop at home. Perhaps you don't notice as much difference anymore, since Windows tends to copy the advances Apple makes for intuitive usability. But I can tell you my Macbook pro has never crashed.

Reaction Score
They start at $1100.
They just work. It's as simple as that.
I've had extensive experience on both. When I worked for IBM and had company support for my ThinkPad, I had fewer problems with my Mac laptop at home. Perhaps you don't notice as much difference anymore, since Windows tends to copy the advances Apple makes for intuitive usability. But I can tell you my Macbook pro has never crashed.

Several of my friends haven't been as lucky as you.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
My wife's 8 yr old MacPro is getting a little cranky (and is WAY heavy!) Does anyone have a 2012+ MacBookPro that you would be willing to sell at a reasonable price? If so, pls IM me.

Reaction Score

Switched in January to a MacBook Air basically kicking and screaming, but my daughter insisted I'd like it much better and it would be worth the money. Cheaper than the Pro and unless you are a super duper user of heavy stuff it has more power than you will ever need for much less than $1800. Plus it's nice and light and has tons of battery life compared to any Windows PC I've ever owned. I don't regret it for a second.

Reaction Score
Switched in January to a MacBook Air basically kicking and screaming, but my daughter insisted I'd like it much better and it would be worth the money. Cheaper than the Pro and unless you are a super duper user of heavy stuff it has more power than you will ever need for much less than $1800. Plus it's nice and light and has tons of battery life compared to any Windows PC I've ever owned. I don't regret it for a second.
And no moving parts! Solid state "hard drive" is bad*ss. Monitor is amazing - I used to take my iPad on planes to watch movies, but now the MacBook Air has replaced it - screen is twice as big and it's super light and convenient to lug around. And the battery lasts 7-8 hours, then recharges in just a few minutes. Boots up/turns off in seconds. Amazing piece of equipment!

Reaction Score
I did a clean install on my (fun) laptop.
It previously had Win 8.1 which IHATED!!! With a classic screen shell, I was able to use it for, basically, internet surfing.
I haven't figgered how to send my favorites to edge quite yet but the whole experience is much more tolerable that the transition from 7 to 8.

I wanted to try some Apps (I know, this is the 21st Century) so, (FWIW) I've found Win 10 MUCH friendlier. I have a feeling that - after a few weeks of play/learning - this (FOR MY FUN LAPTOP) will become my preferred o/s.
That said, because I have a Sql database deal for my business desktop, I won't be "upgrading" that one anytime soon.
PS: The clean install (which I did from a USB device) was seamless.
Why did you opt for the clean install? I understand the general reason (its Windows), but I was hoping I wouldn't need to redo everything. Did you have a specific reason to? Thanks

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The techie writer for Forbes suggests that since we have a year to upgrade for free, and MS seems to be still sorting out some bugs, it might be best to wait a few months, which is what I plan to do. I have two laptops, one with 7 which I mostly use, and one with 8.1. When I do upgrade, I am going to do the latter first, to see if I like it before I wipe out 7 which does everything I want an OS to do. (My wants are simple.)

Reaction Score
We plan to not upgrade one Win 7 tower in the foreseeable future and maybe never, mainly because Win 10 no longer provides Windows Media Center which we like and use. If you don't use it, you won't care. If you do, you might check this out.

We might upgrade a Win 7 laptop to see what 10 has and stay with some of the early upgrades etc.

We still use versions as old as XP for other purposes. Our next hardware purchase will likely include Win 10 after a few more months of stabilization.

Reaction Score
Why did you opt for the clean install? I understand the general reason (its Windows), but I was hoping I wouldn't need to redo everything. Did you have a specific reason to? Thanks

Only had a couple things on my Laptop, so, decided to start "clean".
There was no real "need" to do so.

Reaction Score
Windows 10 = Genisys. I hope you get the reference. I build my own computers, I currently am using a desktop with an ASUS board, Intel Socket 2011 Core i7 Extreme Edition Processor, EVGA graphics card, 32GB RAM, some pretty high end stuff. I have a legitimate copy of Windows 8 I bought. The Windows 10 pre install said everything was OK to install - my computer met the minimum requirements. 20 times the Microsoft update has tried to install Windows 10 and failed. I get various error codes but the most common has recommendations online for a fix to re download Windows 10 - this has not helped. I tried the clean install using a USB Flash drive - no luck. I keep hoping they will have an updated version of Windows 10 that won't have this problem. One of the recent "fixes" I've seen for my problem is to disconnect all of the internal SATA drives except the hard drives you are installing it in. I remember this was a fix for upgrading to Windows 8 so I might try that - it's not hard for me to do. I'd hate to have to call Microsoft now - I'd wait until the end of the year first when things may have settled down from the first installers - hopefully they have fixed the problem by then - at least we have a year.

My wife's Dell laptop a bought a few years ago go sent a message from the Windows 10 pre installer that her Wi-Fi chip would not be compatible with Windows 10 and she would loose that function if she updated - guess we won't be doing that.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hmmm..I wonder if that can be dealt with. I too have a few years old Dell laptop. Anyone know?

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I previously suggested that people upgrade to Windows 10 right away, but based on my own experience I now recommend waiting a few months until all the kinks are worked out. A specific problem: Windows 10 will not let me open Microsoft Word documents that I receive by email. Many (or perhaps all) Windows 10 users are having the same problem. Here's a discussion of the problem on a Microsoft website:

Windows 10 Glitch

I have been able to work around the problem based on the advice provided on the above website. But I am not a computer expert and would rather not make changes to my computer to fix problems that should have been resolved by Microsoft before it launched Windows 10.

Reaction Score
I previously suggested that people upgrade to Windows 10 right away, but based on my own experience I now recommend waiting a few months until all the kinks are worked out. A specific problem: Windows 10 will not let me open Microsoft Word documents that I receive by email. Many (or perhaps all) Windows 10 users are having the same problem. Here's a discussion of the problem on a Microsoft website:

Windows 10 Glitch

I have been able to work around the problem based on the advice provided on the above website. But I am not a computer expert and would rather not make changes to my computer to fix problems that should have been resolved by Microsoft before it launched Windows 10.

I upgraded one of my laptops (one I use occasionally) just to play with 10. I was able to open the agenda for our back to school meeting on Monday (online viewing). I then downloaded it and was able to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom