(OT) What's been your reaction to Covid-19 vaccine ? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

(OT) What's been your reaction to Covid-19 vaccine ?

Reaction Score
Got my first dose of Pfizer at Pratt and Whitney runway drive-thru here in CT and have my second on March 9. Used the VAMS site for scheduling and it went smoothly though I waited in my car for about an hour. I preferred the Pfizer because the second dose is a week earlier so best cover comes a week earlier. My arm was sore for a couple of days after the first shot.

Just want to remind people that while the vaccines are wonderful and hopefully represent the end of the worst of this pandemic, they are only 95% effective and that means 5 people out of every 100 vaccinated will still become infected with Covid. Much better odds, but with community spread still rampant, masks and social distancing still make sense, especially around unvaccinated people. While I will feel much safer in 3 weeks, it is still smart to remain vigilant through the summer.

This may have been mentioned already, but what you stated is not true.

The 95% effectiveness represents the relative reduction in risk of getting COVID for vaccinated versus unvaccinated people.

In the Pfizer clinical study, for example, only 8 of 18,198 vaccinated people (0.044%) developed COVID infection over the ~4 months of post-vaccination surveillance, compared to 162 of 18,325 (0.88%). The reduction in COVID infection was ~95%.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just got back from the CVS. I'll recommend them. Their online process was a piece of cake and the timeslot wasn't massively booked. Only a handful of folks in a line that kept moving.

I got the Moderna vaccine and I barely felt it at impact. Still nothing an hour later.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I just got back from the CVS. I'll recommend them. Their online process was a piece of cake and the timeslot wasn't massively booked. Only a handful of folks in a line that kept moving.

I got the Moderna vaccine and I barely felt it at impact. Still nothing an hour later.
May I ask what town? When I went online after midnight and again this morning there was ZERO availability.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
Got my first dose of Pfizer at Pratt and Whitney runway drive-thru here in CT and have my second on March 9. Used the VAMS site for scheduling and it went smoothly though I waited in my car for about an hour. I preferred the Pfizer because the second dose is a week earlier so best cover comes a week earlier. My arm was sore for a couple of days after the first shot.

Just want to remind people that while the vaccines are wonderful and hopefully represent the end of the worst of this pandemic, they are only 95% effective and that means 5 people out of every 100 vaccinated will still become infected with Covid. Much better odds, but with community spread still rampant, masks and social distancing still make sense, especially around unvaccinated people. While I will feel much safer in 3 weeks, it is still smart to remain vigilant through the summer.
I appreciate the message of caution but your science is incorrect. This is an excellent and very recent video by the Journal of the American Medical Association. The efficacy discussion starts at about 2:10 but the whole thing is worth watching.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It might be awhile before I can get one... but my 81 y/o father got his two shots with no problem... sister (a teacher) got her two shots with no problem. My mother and grandmother got their first shot yesterday.... so far so good.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I had my first shot(Moderna) Dec 22. Only soreness in my arm. My second shot was Jan 16. I started feeling flu like symptoms about 8 hours after. Bone and joint aches, a "metallic", burning headache that lasted about 18 hours. I had had a similiar reaction from my second Shingles vaccine, so I wisely scheduled myself off for the next 48 hours. I was back to my old, cranky self the next day.
I received my second Moderna shot last Friday. Before I get into symptoms, six weeks ago I had an appointment with my cardiologists, he asked me about recent other vaccines if any I had received. Like you I had had my 2nd shingle shot a few months prior and had a nasty 2 day reaction Drs. reply expect a worse reaction from the covid shot. He was right on target. First day I was prepared for the worst and got nothing no arm soreness nothing. Saturday morning no symptoms. I was feeling great and thought I had lucked out until 2:30 I got slammed with a massive headache which is just now close to gone 2pm Monday.
Along with the headaches every joint in my body was on fire, my skin hurt, my muscles were in spasm mode which lasted the rest of the day. I was so weak that I was unable to even turn over in my bed. I was unable to fall asleep until after 3am Sunday morning, sleeping until 8am. Waking I continued with the headache and it felt like my check bones were being pushed into my head, my eyebrows hurt and my eyelids were in pain. Today Monday I feel a lot better, still with a slight head ache but much better. I feel blessed that in a few short weeks I will out and about, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
May I ask what town? When I went online after midnight and again this morning there was ZERO availability.
This was Coventry. My buddy texted me a hour ago that he got in for Thursday. Keep trying I guess. Remember, we're at the beginning of the bow wave.

psconn

Reaction Score
This was Coventry. My buddy texted me a hour ago that he got in for Thursday. Keep trying I guess. Remember, we're at the beginning of the bow wave.
Wow. Interesting. Thanks for the info. This is what I've been seeing all day from the CVS website...

"At this time, all appointments in Connecticut are booked. We’ll add more as they become available. Please check back later."
1614628819569.png

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In early February, I had scheduled my appointment as soon as I was notified by my PCP's health group that Group 2 vaccines were available. I made an appointment for the Pfizer shots for May 6th! :eek: I also signed up with the County Health Department. Then last evening the County called and my first Moderna shot will be Monday morning with the second shot already scheduled for 3 weeks later.
This morning I got my first Moderna shot at the County Health Department here in NC. I arrived at 9:25AM for my 9:30 appointment, took 5 minutes to do the required paperwork and was walking out at 9:48 after the required 15 minute observation period. And my 2nd shot is scheduled for 4 weeks later, same time, same place.
So far, nothing to complain about.

Reaction Score
Trying to schedule the vaccine right now. Had to wait due to compromised immune system. It's complicated.

Reaction Score
Do they let you choose which arm (for non drive thru facilities)?
Here in Quincy, IL they let me choose on both occasions

Do they give you the shot in each arm?
I'm not quite sure i understand your question; but yes, initially i got a shot in the L arm, then when i went back for my second shot they asked again "which arm". I opted for the R arm out of curiosity to see if there was any difference. (I didn't detect any appreciable difference.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This may have been mentioned already, but what you stated is not true.

The 95% effectiveness represents the relative reduction in risk of getting COVID for vaccinated versus unvaccinated people.

In the Pfizer clinical study, for example, only 8 of 18,198 vaccinated people (0.044%) developed COVID infection over the ~4 months of post-vaccination surveillance, compared to 162 of 18,325 (0.88%). The reduction in COVID infection was ~95%.
I appreciate the message of caution but your science is incorrect. This is an excellent and very recent video by the Journal of the American Medical Association. The efficacy discussion starts at about 2:10 but the whole thing is worth watching.

OK - so I have been a bit of a scare merchant, but the fact remains the 5% of the vaccinated people are in effect 'unprotected' so are as likely to get the virus as unvaccinated people. The important point is pretending a vaccine makes you immune and also makes you a safe companion for unvaccinated people is a dangerous position to take, as that very good video psconn posted clearly states.

I am over the moon that my second dose is 8 days away, and that the vaccine process is moving into high gear around the country. This is actually the easy phase of vaccination as the number of people wanting to be vaccinated outstrips both supply and personnel/infrastructure to administer. My only concern for the US is there is too large a population that is reluctant to be vaccinated and sometime the vaccination process will again slow to a crawl.

Reaction Score
Which vaccine did you get? I'm gonna be eligible later this spring based on Connecticut's age based schedule. I didn't want the Pfizer one because I don't need something that's like 90 degrees below zero being shot into me, so I was hoping for the Moderna one.
It’s not 90 below zero when it’s injected. It’s allowed to come up to room temp before injection. All 3 vaccines are approx the same temp when injected. I got Pfizer. Didn’t feel anything when it was being injected. Some muscle aches the next day and fatigue. The fatigue I actually appreciated as I slept better that day then I have in months. Now as you are younger. If I had to recommend one over the other I’d recommend the j&j as the delivery is more tried and true then the two mrna vacs which are probably fine but we can’t know if there are any unknown long term effects. I’m not a medical professional just my opinion.

Reaction Score
It’s not 90 below zero when it’s injected. It’s allowed to come up to room temp before injection. All 3 vaccines are approx the same temp when injected. I got Pfizer. Didn’t feel anything when it was being injected. Some muscle aches the next day and fatigue. The fatigue I actually appreciated as I slept better that day then I have in months. Now as you are younger. If I had to recommend one over the other I’d recommend the j&j as the delivery is more tried and true then the two mrna vacs which are probably fine but we can’t know if there are any unknown long term effects. I’m not a medical professional just my opinion.
I think the J&J vaccine is especially valuable in vaccinating, younger less vulnerable folks. Us old farts who lived through polio and have small pox scars aren’t dissuaded at needing two shots.

Reaction Score
I think the J&J vaccine is especially valuable in vaccinating, younger less vulnerable folks. Us old farts who lived through polio and have small pox vaccine scars aren’t dissuaded at needing two shots.

Reaction Score

Those 5% will have a mild to moderate case. No hospitalizations or deaths.

psconn

Reaction Score
OK - so I have been a bit of a scare merchant, but the fact remains the 5% of the vaccinated people are in effect 'unprotected' so are as likely to get the virus as unvaccinated people. The important point is pretending a vaccine makes you immune and also makes you a safe companion for unvaccinated people is a dangerous position to take, as that very good video psconn posted clearly states.

I am over the moon that my second dose is 8 days away, and that the vaccine process is moving into high gear around the country. This is actually the easy phase of vaccination as the number of people wanting to be vaccinated outstrips both supply and personnel/infrastructure to administer. My only concern for the US is there is too large a population that is reluctant to be vaccinated and sometime the vaccination process will again slow to a crawl.
Still disagree with your characterization of "efficacy" but you are 100% correct that the jury is still out on how effectively the virus can be carried/transmitted by a vaccinated person. Studies are ongoing.

I am still a couple weeks from my 2nd dose and am really looking forward to that day. The first dose was like getting an injection of 190-proof hope. I also felt good because I was doing my civic duty to help protect everyone and get the country back on its feet. I was smiling all day.

I don't have much concern for the well being on those who refuse the vaccination by their own free choice. It's their call, and if they get sick, choices have consequences. Unfortunately, while they are sick they act as petrie dishes in which the virus can reproduce and mutate, producing new variants. That threatens everyone.

Reaction Score
I don't have much concern for the well being on those who refuse the vaccination by their own free choice. It's their call, and if they get sick, choices have consequences. Unfortunately, while they are sick they act as petrie dishes in which the virus can reproduce and mutate, producing new variants. That threatens everyone.
I saw where 30% of US active duty military personnel have opted out of the vaccine. #%?$&@???

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I received my second Moderna shot last Friday. Before I get into symptoms, six weeks ago I had an appointment with my cardiologists, he asked me about recent other vaccines if any I had received. Like you I had had my 2nd shingle shot a few months prior and had a nasty 2 day reaction Drs. reply expect a worse reaction from the covid shot. He was right on target. First day I was prepared for the worst and got nothing no arm soreness nothing. Saturday morning no symptoms. I was feeling great and thought I had lucked out until 2:30 I got slammed with a massive headache which is just now close to gone 2pm Monday.
Along with the headaches every joint in my body was on fire, my skin hurt, my muscles were in spasm mode which lasted the rest of the day. I was so weak that I was unable to even turn over in my bed. I was unable to fall asleep until after 3am Sunday morning, sleeping until 8am. Waking I continued with the headache and it felt like my check bones were being pushed into my head, my eyebrows hurt and my eyelids were in pain. Today Monday I feel a lot better, still with a slight head ache but much better. I feel blessed that in a few short weeks I will out and about, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Wow! Strong reaction! Glad it subsided!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Terrible. Yours is one of the worse that I've heard of. I'm wishing that nothing more for you appears and it''s smooth sailing from here on. I just had my first today. I've some very light soreness in my arm. No offense, but I hope my experience is nothing like yours whatsoever.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I purchased a blood-type test from Amazon recently and will perform it with the help of my nursing student granddaughter. I couldn't remember my type and thought it was something I should know.
What blood type are you Mil?

Reaction Score
Wife, daughter (a health care worker <and immuno-compromised as a bonus>) all had both Pfizer shots at Griffin Hospital facility. No issues for any of us.
My only observation: using the Govt websites was a P.I.T.A. Earliest myt wife and I could schedule was 40 days in the future at a site in Norwich! We live in West Haven,
Thankfully, we discovered that Griffin was not on the State Computer system - called the scheduling office -left a message and they called us back - and arranged to go in the NEXT morning. Really pleased with the low tech system Griffin was using.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Terrible. Yours is one of the worse that I've heard of. I'm wishing that nothing for you appears and it''s smooth sailing from here on for you. I just had my first today. I've some very light soreness in my arm. No offense, by I hope my experience is nothing like yours whats so ever.
Jordy, I wish that no one, wait there are a few I can think of but none on the BY that go through what I went through. My wife gets her 2nd this Friday and I'm concerned for her. She had 3 days of complete bed rest with bad symptoms, which like 3 others in our group who had the worst reactions about 8 days after the injections.
I asked when I received my second about the week delay for the worst symptoms, I was told that they were hearing about a number of the same cases as ours. I hope you do just fine. Good luck with yours.
Enjoy the game tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom