OT: We are eagerly homing in on the. . . | The Boneyard

OT: We are eagerly homing in on the. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . .upcoming season as we watch our Huskies hone their skills.

Huh?

In this political season I repeatedly hear pundits describe how candidates are "honing in" on one issue or another, which makes them sound foolish. "To hone" is to sharpen. To "home in" is to focus intently.

Bill Safire hit President George H.W. Bush with a GOTCHA! on this years ago but Poppy's error is constantly repeated. You may :rolleyes: when you hear it and I hope you will home in on the correct usage. Enjoy! :)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
George, Chuck and Noah wouldn't agree with you.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hone in
But in the usage discussion following the definition there is this....

"Though it seems to have established itself in American English (and mention in a British usage book suggests it is used in British English too), your use of it especially in writing is likely to be called a mistake. Home in or in figurative use zero in does nicely."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
George, Chuck and Noah wouldn't agree with you.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hone in

I stand my ground. In the Usage Discussion in the link you kindly provided, the author backs me up twice, stating that use of hone in on (instead of home in on) would be a mistake.

So I homed in on other sources and now feel completely comfortable with the assertions I made in my OP. Of special interest to me was the article from The New Yorker, entitled, "Don't Hone in on a Copy Editor." It's worthy of reading. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But in the usage discussion following the definition there is this....

"Though it seems to have established itself in American English (and mention in a British usage book suggests it is used in British English too), your use of it especially in writing is likely to be called a mistake. Home in or in figurative use zero in does nicely."
Likely to be called a mistake.

AND, that's specified in writing. Kibs was talking about verbal. (at least that's what I gathered from his post)

i.e. You're both wrong. You're archaic people, come into the 20th century.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some candidates could use some honing of their arguments or be sent home. Some moderators could hone their questioning skills or they should be sent home too.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Likely to be called a mistake..

AND, that's specified in writing. Kibs was talking about verbal. (at least that's what I gathered from his post)

i.e. You're both wrong. You're archaic people, come into the 20th century.

Accurate pitches, right over the plate, are called strikes, and the call is irreversible.

Yes, I was homing in on verbal (mis)usage, but no way would I ever contend that it's a mistake to speak carelessly so long as you write with precision.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It makes me feel bad that so many folks write badly.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It makes me feel bad that so many folks write badly.

TOUCHE! I of course noticed that you didn't feel badly, which we know is possible only if you have either lost your sense of touch or are wearing gloves. ;)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actually, I have become so sensitized to people expressing themselves as "feeling badly" about something or someone that it tends to have pretty much the same effect on me as the words "Niagara Falls" in the great skit. To wit;

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
TOUCHE! I of course noticed that you didn't feel badly, which we know is possible only if you have either lost your sense of touch or are wearing gloves. ;)
Or are inexpert. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc