OT: Vin Scully | The Boneyard

OT: Vin Scully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amen to that. One gentleman, and one superb delivery and voice.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The master signs off today. His melodious voice and descriptive tones allowed many of us to say "I saw it on the radio" Thank you, Vin Scully....

The end of an era; sad to see him go.

Reaction Score
He was one of the announcers for Don Larson's perfect game in the 1956 World Series. That's an unbelievable career in any business.
Red Barber was Brooklyn's main announcer but for some reason I believe NBC had Scully and Mel Allen do the series. Maybe Allen and Barber were too Southern.

Reaction Score
I actually met him once. Was on a cross country flight and managed to get a first class upgrade for free (clearly many years ago). This guy got on after me. Thought it was Curt Gowdy (duh). Went over to him and asked Curt for an autograph. The guy was very kind and said, of course I'll give you an autograph, but my name is Vin Scully. I wanted to bury myself in a deep hole...but was very impressed with his kindness.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
He will indeed work the Dodgers' upcoming series in San Francisco, but this was his final time announcing a game at Dodger Stadium. Fittingly, the Dodgers sent him out with a thriller, tying the game with a home run in the 9th and winning it on another one in the 10th.

Said Scully, after the game-tying home run: "And wouldn't you know we'd go extra innings. Of course, you didn't have anything better to do anyway." Classic.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
He was a model for everyone in play by play radio, appreciated and copied by many, but surpassed by none.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Vin worked for a handful of years in Brooklyn. I bet many Dodger fans don't even know they came from Brooklyn.
I didn't want to mention it. I remember him commenting on air about Koufax's wildness before they left, but I was too young to remember the words. Don't get me started again about that betrayal. Yet Scully was always a gentleman and a square shooter. And that magical voice was impeccable.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Vin worked for a handful of years in Brooklyn. I bet many Dodger fans don't even know they came from Brooklyn.
Nor what "Dodger" means.

Reaction Score
He will indeed work the Dodgers' upcoming series in San Francisco, but this was his final time announcing a game at Dodger Stadium. Fittingly, the Dodgers sent him out with a thriller, tying the game with a home run in the 9th and winning it on another one in the 10th.

Said Scully, after the game-tying home run: "And wouldn't you know we'd go extra innings. Of course, you didn't have anything better to do anyway." Classic.
One of the interesting things about the winning HR was that it was hit by Charlie Culberson - who was drafted by the Giants. Ironic that an ex-Giant would get the 1st place clinching hit for the Dodgers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Only the youngsters. Any baseball fan over 50, knows the "Trolley Dodgers" came from Brooklyn after the 1957 season ended. They opened the 1958 season in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Only the youngsters. Any baseball fan over 50, knows the "Trolley Dodgers" came from Brooklyn after the 1957 season ended. They opened the 1958 season in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
I recall that, but not everyone is as old as I. I like your definition of youngsters--under age 50. ;)

It's mind boggling to think that the Dodgers have been in L.A. nearly 6 decades--and Vin had some years under his belt before the move!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nor what "Dodger" means.
Help me out. I have no idea.

It took me 50 years to learn that the Mets' blue and orange colors were a tribute to the Brooklyn Dodgers (blue) and N.Y. Giants (orange).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I recall Wally Moon and the Moonshots--the left field line was about 250', but the screen was even higher than Fenway's infamous Green Monster.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Help me out. I have no idea.

It took me 50 years to learn that the Mets' blue and orange colors were a tribute to the Brooklyn Dodgers (blue) and N.Y. Giants (orange).
It comes from the neighborhood fans having to "dodge" traffic on our busy streets. Hence "Dodger".

Carnac

Reaction Score
The youngsters under 50 also probably do not know that the Rifleman, Chuck Connors, played for the Dodgers

That's right. He was a first baseman. Most of what I know about Dodger lore, came from listening to Vin Scully for over 60 years here in the Los Angeles area. Believe me, we had the great Vin Scully and we knew how lucky we were to have him.

We never took him for granted. He's one of a kind. He'll be missed. He gave MLB the best years of his life. Now it's time for him to enjoy life on his terms.

Thanks Vinnie for 67 wonderful years. You made it fun to be a Dodger fan.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Nor what "Dodger" means.

The Dodgers, like the Lakers brought their name with them when they moved west. The nick name "Dodger" has no relevance here in Los Angeles, but it did in Brooklyn. Just as "Lakers" also has no relevance here in Los Angeles, but it does in Minnesota (the land of 10,000 lakes), where they originally came from (Minneapolis). As Paul Harvey use to say: "And now you know the rest of the story"........................Good day. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I recall Wally Moon and the Moonshots--the left field line was about 250', but the screen was even higher than Fenway's infamous Green Monster.

You are correct sir!! I vividly remember attending a few games (1958-1961), watching Moon hit those "Moon shots" over the short left field fence. The interesting thing about Wally Moon (#9), was that he was a left handed hitter, which means he had learned to hit the ball to the opposite field with power............over the fence, hence the term "Moon shots".

Anybody can pull the ball and go deep. Moon became very proficient at going the other way. As you can image, after a while, he didn't get too many outside pitches at home. He only tried that when the Dodgers where at home, where as you mentioned, because of the configuration of the Coliseum (oval - not made for baseball - originally constructed for the 1932 Olympics for track and field events), it was impossible for them to extend the left field line any further. Hence the short left field fence of 250 feet, and the very high screen.

Every other national league stadium except for the New York Giant's Polo Grounds stadium: left field: 277, right field: 257 center: 455 (this is the stadium where Giant outfielder Willie Mays made his infamous over the shoulder catch in deep center field off of Vic Wertz (Cleveland Indians) in the 1954 world series). The Polo Grounds closed in 1963, and was demolished in April 1964), had a standard left field fence, so there was no reason for Moon to employ those antics in those parks, where they would be nothing more than a routine fly ball out. Moon was still with the Dodgers (an opening day starter) in 1962 when they moved to their current home, Dodger Stadium where the filed was symmetrical. On opening day, it was 340 down each line, and 410 dead center. Of course those dimensions have change several times over the years.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Correction to previous post.......The dimensions for Dodger Stadium on opening day 1962 were: Left field Line: 330' - Left Center Alley: 383' - Center Field: 400' - Right Center Alley: 385' - Right field line: 330'.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Rixxx said:
The youngsters under 50 also probably do not know that the Rifleman, Chuck Connors, played for the Dodgers

Carnac: That's right. He played 1 game at 1st base for the Dodgers in 1949.

[LINK]

Reaction Score
I listened on a transistor to Vin Scully doing Brooklyn games. His voice, then and now, sounded like green grass and daylight. The last link to my childhood is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom