OT: US women's soccer win qualifier but at cost | The Boneyard

OT: US women's soccer win qualifier but at cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Veteran defender Ali Krieger suffered a serious knee injury when tackled. I didn't see it, but read a comment in the article linked below from someone who did. Hope she is okay :(

Link

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bummer, she is one of my favorite defenders. :(

But 14-0 is a good start.

And yea, nobody saw it. It was/is (at least the group stages) on Universal Sports Network. I don't think anybody gets that.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Bummer, she is one of my favorite defenders. :(

But 14-0 is a good start.

And yea, nobody saw it. It was/is (at least the group stages) on Universal Sports Network. I don't think anybody gets that.

It is good to see the girls scoring some goals -- even if the opponent was a "patsy".

I'm happy to see that Pia is moving to some creative positioning of her players:
(4-3-2-1.) I look forward to seeing how they organize both the offense and defense from that alignment.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The thread title is misleading.. They did not win a qualifier, they won a game in a qualifying tournament. They have a long way to go to qualify, specifically, they have to get to the semifinal, and win it. And there is no workaround if they don't to that, as there was last time.

Reaction Score
The thread title is misleading.. They did not win a qualifier, they won a game in a qualifying tournament. They have a long way to go to qualify, specifically, they have to get to the semifinal, and win it. And there is no workaround if they don't to that, as there was last time.

Sorry, of course you're right. I have no doubt the US will qualify, I'm more worried about Ali.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry, of course you're right. I have no doubt the US will qualify, I'm more worried about Ali.
As long as they win the group they should be alright. Don't want to face Canada until the final.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It is good to see the girls scoring some goals -- even if the opponent was a "patsy".

I'm happy to see that Pia is moving to some creative positioning of her players:
(4-3-2-1.) I look forward to seeing how they organize both the offense and defense from that alignment.
I think it is probably a 4-2-3-1. Which would be a more attacking formation, with Boxx and Lloyd playing the holding positions. Abby up top and Cheney withdrawn with Heath and O'Reilly outside. But didn't get to see it, so that's only a guess. Hope to catch the semi's.

On another note, the MNT plays tonight on ESPN3/Galavision. Won't be the A team though. More like a B/C team. But at least we can see it.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
As long as they win the group they should be alright. Don't want to face Canada until the final.
Sounds like you believe Canada (home team) is the main competition. Mexico is not a threat?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sounds like you believe Canada is the main competition. Mexico is not a threat?
For the group stage, yes. Need to win the group so we can play Costa Rica (probably) in the Semi. For the tourney, Canada is the main competition.

FIFA rankings (yea I know but), have Canada 7th, Mexico 21st. USA is still 1st.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Horrible, especially to have that happen in such a lopsided game.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
"Reckless tackle" to quote the federation story... Unfortunately a number of referees from countries where soccer is not played at a sufficiently high level have a problem identifying serious foul play. I did not see the game but saw a comment from a highly placed women's coach that the player who fouled Ali was not sent off. A shame, as she should have been according to the comment I saw...

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
I'm still in shock about how they scored 14. But I'm not complaining :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm still in shock about how they scored 14. But I'm not complaining :)
You can be shocked again, they scored 13 last night against Guatemala. Sydney LeRoux came on in the second half and scored 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom