OT Unusual Sandwiches You Like | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Unusual Sandwiches You Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Back in the poor old days, you could get a grilled cheese sandwich for $.25 at the Student Union. Then I'd go to the condiments and load it up with relish and diced onions.

When we would go skiing, we only had money for the lift ticket, so we'd ask for a cup of hot water, and then put a bunch of catsup packets and crackers in it. Kept us going all day!

Had a grouper sandwich last week. Very nice!

Also like mozzarella, tomato, basil, on a good rustic bread.

Reaction Score
Peanut butter and jelly on toast (so far pretty normal) ... folded over and dunked in hot chocolate...with optional marshmallow for extra points

Can be breakfast, lunch, dinner, or just dessert when you're a kid ... best in winter.

Reaction Score
Two faves from my younger 'what me worry?' days: peanut butter and bacon; fried bologna with mustard (unless you buy extra thick slices at the deli, you need to weight down or press the slices to minimize cupping).
I love fried bologna sandwiches. To keep it from curling make slits around bologna.

Reaction Score
Some intriguing creations, of the list so far I have to say the one I find most appealing is;
" fresh tomatoes seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic & oregano with super-sharp, fall-apart provolone cheese on Italian bread"
Thanks FairView, can't wait to try that when tomatoes are in season.
A couple of my favorites, from childhood days, are a fried egg with a slice fresh tomato, salt, pepper and mayo on a fresh hard roll. The other is white bread fried in butter and topped with applesauce and cinnamon served open face.
Thanks for the ideas, can't wait to try a few of them.

Reaction Score
One of my favorites is a grilled Rachel. Both filling and satisfying when you're really hungry.

The key to any sandwich is the bread. Got to have good bread.

The Rachel starts off with rye bread lightly toasted to kind of waterproof it, because it can get messy. It's better if the ingredients are at room temperature. Ingredients:

Roast turkey (ideal for after thanksgiving leftovers)
Coleslaw (source of the messy part, so squeeze some of the juice out)
Swiss cheese
Russian dressing

Butter the outside of one slice of bread and put it in a frying pan.
add a slice of swiss cheese, then the turkey, coleslaw, and Russian dressing. Then another slice of cheese and the remaining slice of rye bread, and butter the top side.

Fire up the stove and grill the sandwich until the cheese has melted and it's grilled to the shade of brown you like. Flip over and cook the other side.

Grab a napkin and enjoy while it's hot.

Substitutions: sauerkraut for the coleslaw, corned beef or pastrami for the turkey.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Substitutions: sauerkraut for the coleslaw, corned beef or pastrami for the turkey.
Well then it's not a Rachel anymore, then's it's a Reuben. Now, you're talking about a sandwich.

Reaction Score
Perfectly Normal Beast sandwiches as prepared by the King at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. You could tell when the King was in because there was a pink Caddy parked outside.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I've only ever tried this once, but my husband, a Kenosha, WI native, makes a sandwich with chunky PB and salad dressing, aka, Miracle Whip. He says that they are only good if using Brownberry wheat bread (the original in the midwest). Put the chunky PB (only Skippy) on one slice and MW on the other. Plop it in a skillet just like grilled cheese. I thought he was nuts until I heard it described in the movie, For Keeps?, which was based on two teenagers in Kenosha. Who knew?

Reaction Score
It's not so much a sandwich, but a piece of good bread with a thick slice of havarti cheese on it. Stick it in the toaster and broil it till the havarti is nicely melted. Learned to NOT get the lowfat havarti. Totally delish...
This is great on rye bread. Toast the bread in the toaster first, then put on sliced dill havarti and put it into the microwave to melt.

Reaction Score
For later this week, corned beef with sliced dill pickle, preferably on a baguette but also good on rye bread.

Reaction Score
Perfectly Normal Beast sandwiches as prepared by the King at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. You could tell when the King was in because there was a pink Caddy parked outside.

But you have to hitch a ride to get one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom