OT: Unplugging Comcast | The Boneyard

OT: Unplugging Comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm seriously thinking of cutting the cord and cancelling Comcast cable/internet/phone. I figure I can get home phone through Vonage, Ooma or AT&T, internet through AT&T and just use an HD antenna or stream shows from the internet for about $60-$75/month. My current Comcast bill is $210. My biggest concern is live sports. I can stream ESPN games but how easy is it to find non-ESPN Uconn games online for free? What about NFL and NESN?

I'll go back to Comcast once I can watch Uconn on the Big Ten Network.

Reaction Score
I did hear that recording of the guy trying to cancel. I'll record mine as well if it gets crazy.

Google Fiber isn't coming to West Hartford anytime soon.

Reaction Score
I would've done this a long time ago if they weren't holding the Celtics hostage. I don't worry about NFL games since there's only 16 of them and I can just go to a bar if there's a game I really want to see. The Huskies I could probably get a relative's username and password to use WatchESPN.

But they'd have me by the balls with the Celtics. I live in Boston so all of the games are blacked out on NBA Game Time, the only way to watch would be on those terrible quality illegal streaming sites, and that's not going to cut it.

Reaction Score
I just moved, and where I lived for the past 3 years, Comcast was the only option. I can honestly say, they are *THE* worst company I've *EVER* dealt with. I just signed on with Uverse and got a great deal for TV and internet.

Reaction Score
I am stuck with Comcast Internet, cable tv but I am very resentful because Comcast nickel and dime me to death!!! I am paying $200/mo with performance internet. I wish I have other options!!!

Reaction Score
Cut the cord a year ago. In my family I am the only one that misses anything and that's the sports. I have learned to live without it. If it aint free on one of the ESPN streams I don't watch. Occasionally I will hunt out one of those crappy streaming sites if I am desperate. We use our cells as a home phone, ATT for internet and an antennae for HDTV local channels. Someone someday will come out with a streaming only TV service and then I will consider using that with tablets or a streaming device to the TV. I think that will happen in a year or two. We subscribe to Netflix and have Amazon prime and that gets most of the TV watching done.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm seriously thinking of cutting the cord and cancelling Comcast cable/internet/phone. I figure I can get home phone through Vonage, Ooma or AT&T, internet through AT&T and just use an HD antenna or stream shows from the internet for about $60-$75/month. My current Comcast bill is $210. My biggest concern is live sports. I can stream ESPN games but how easy is it to find non-ESPN Uconn games online for free? What about NFL and NESN?

If I wasn't a Sports junkie, I'd have already cut the cord, but I am and I pay about the same to Comcast for the "privilege" of being their "customer."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Cut the cord a year ago. In my family I am the only one that misses anything and that's the sports. I have learned to live without it

I appreciate the position you took, but for me personally, that dog just ain't gonna hunt.

Reaction Score
Look into Google Chromecast. It's a 30.00 one time charge and it plugs into your USB port on your TV. You can stream anything you can get on an iPad or iPhone. Netflix, ESPN, Amazon, etc. I have it just for Netflix alone and it's worth it.

Reaction Score
I have a kindle and currently connect that to the tv to stream. Works great. One concern with ATT is the speed. Is 6 Mbps sufficient for HD streaming?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The introductory rate, step up to price gouge, step down with customer retention model should be illegal.

I can't wait for the cable tv model to implode. Your day is coming comcast.

Reaction Score
Don't mean to be a cable apologist but I come from an era when you had to turn rabbit ears to knock out the static and fuzz on your 12" screen. I think I'll just keep on trucking with all of my UCONN games, NFL network, and sports package. Should it be less, yes but it is 24/7 sports availability.

Reaction Score
I dumped DirectTv last year because the bill was getting ridiculous and they kept slamming me with unwanted packages and services.
As a Ravens fan, I'll miss the NFL package, but it was cheaper to eat and drink in a bar to watch all 16 games than it was to sit in my house and watch.

I have a Slingbox, so if anyone in the Batlimore area has one and wants to watch UConn games, we should talk.

We're finally seeing cellphone service getting competitive, but TV holds us hostage. Once a pick your channels plan come along, things will change. I only hope it happens soon.

Reaction Score
dogpause said:
I dumped DirectTv last year because the bill was getting ridiculous and they kept slamming me with unwanted packages and services. As a Ravens fan, I'll miss the NFL package, but it was cheaper to eat and drink in a bar to watch all 16 games than it was to sit in my house and watch. I have a Slingbox, so if anyone in the Batlimore area has one and wants to watch UConn games, we should talk. We're finally seeing cellphone service getting competitive, but TV holds us hostage. Once a pick your channels plan come along, things will change. I only hope it happens soon.

You could go to a bar 16 times and not spend more than 350? :)

Reaction Score

My brother's neighbor in Fairfield manufactures one of those new antennas. My brother has one and gets about 15 stations. Obviously the number of stations you receive depends on where you live and you will give up something. Cable costs are about 10 times what they were in the 80's. Nice business.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The introductory rate, step up to price gouge, step down with customer retention model should be illegal.

I can't wait for the cable tv model to implode. Your day is coming comcast.
True but it is gameable, if you willing to deal with the hassle of cancelling and re-subscribing.

Reaction Score
how is ATT internet?
Awful! My mom switched to AT&T Uverse and the internet speeds were terribly slow. AT&T Uverse bills go up faster than Comcast bills after the initial period.

Best thing to do if you have options is threatened to switch or cancel and they will lower your bill. Unfortunately they normally get you into a two year discount program were in the first year it is really low and the second year it goes up significantly. Unfortunately it is hard to ask for further discounts in the second year due to already being on a discounted rate. I guess the solution to this is ask for the best one year discounted rate or tell them that you will cancel service and move to U-Verse, Direct TV etc.

Reaction Score
Good if you pay up for the higher tier.

6mbps is the 2nd highest tier. The highest tier is 15 mbps. Is 15 really needed? I heard 6 is good for HD streaming.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
True but it is gameable, if you willing to deal with the hassle of cancelling and re-subscribing.
That's exactly my point. Its not gaming the system, it is the system. You are forced to hop the hurdle of that conversation. Its the baseline most people do. If you don't like the confrontation or are too lazy, you pay the premium rate.

Reaction Score
You could go to a bar 16 times and not spend more than 350? :)[/QUOTE

Geez, what are you an economist? :) Probably not, but 5 Ravens games are on national TV and lots of bars have deals during games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom