OT: Unique Restaurants in CT | The Boneyard

OT: Unique Restaurants in CT

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm looking to go out for my birthday and want to try food that I haven't had before. So far, I've thought of the Tibetan restaurant in Middletown and an Ethiopian restaurant in New Haven. What other recommendations can the Boneyard foodies give me? Keep in mind I live in Hartford area, so not looking to venture much past New Haven

Reaction Score
Used to live right by this place...not exotic...but nice place....

Gallery - The Mill on the River

ETA: just re-read your post...this is a nice place, but you prob won't find anything that you've never had before...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
G Zen in Branford is vegetarian, but it's the best damned vegetarian food I've had and definitely a unique and excellent restaurant. Great drinks, too. The chef is legitimately one of the top vegetarian chefs on the planet. He used be chef and co-owner of the ION in Middletown, which is also still good--but not as good as it was when he was chef, and nowhere near the level where G-Zen is now.

G-Zen Restaurant | Voted Nation's TOP rated Vegan/Vegetarian & Organic Restaurant | 203-208-0443

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
G Zen in Branford is vegetarian, but it's the best damned vegetarian food I've had and definitely a unique and excellent restaurant. Great drinks, too. The chef is legitimately one of the top vegetarian chefs on the planet. He used be chef and co-owner of the ION in Middletown, which is also still good--but not as good as it was when he was chef, and nowhere near the level where G-Zen is now.

G-Zen Restaurant | Voted Nation's TOP rated Vegan/Vegetarian & Organic Restaurant | 203-208-0443

Ah yeah, good recommendation. I've been thinking of going here but haven't gotten around to it. Did go to 21 Oak in Manchester and loved it (similar sorta thing). Been to It's Only Natural as well. I'm not vegetarian, but enjoy eating vegetarian dishes. Maybe I'll go here.

Reaction Score
Donner Party Buffet in East Haven. Don’t pass this one up, it’s pretty unique. It’s next to the Reed drive-in.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ah yeah, good recommendation. I've been thinking of going here but haven't gotten around to it. Did go to 21 Oak in Manchester and loved it (similar sorta thing). Been to It's Only Natural as well. I'm not vegetarian, but enjoy eating vegetarian dishes. Maybe I'll go here.
I'm not vegetarian either; I was for a couple years more than 20 years ago and have always enjoyed eating good vegetarian meals. I still love meats of all sorts, but if I could have Shadle cooking for me all the time I don't think I would miss it much.

Reaction Score
A bit of a stretch distance wise but Lins Garden in Brookfield, MA on route 9 makes incredible dishes. Similar to other Chinese restaurants in terms of menu, but the quality is unreal. Everything I have had has been excellent. Its a couple bucks more than most Chinese places, but it is delicious beyond belief.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
The Red Tomato is a great pizza place in Madison. I went there all the time growing up in Madison and west Hartford. They serve wine with pizza.
Rizzuto's is a pricey but delicious Italian place on blue back square in West Hartford.

im just posting good food in ct...someone has to do it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Namoo in Norwich is a great Korean spot. They play what I'd call Korean Jack Johnson over the speakers while you eat stellar bibimbop surrounded by wallpaper comprised of Korean comics. Quite a place to get a great bite for a good price.

Last edited:

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Hoodoo Brown BBQ In Ridgefield. As a bbq snob it’s unique as it’s the closet thing to real BBQ in the North East as you would get down in Texas. Similar as in finding quality Pizza in Texas. Great Q and a really fun place.

I’m interested. I’m definitely gonna look into this place.

Reaction Score
Sad, I noticed 13 posts and figured that there might actually be unique restaurants in CT.

When I read unique, I think of 'different' or out of the ordinary.

Reaction Score
I can’t speak to the Ethiopian restaurant you’re thinking about going to specifically, but I CAN vouch for Ethiopian restaurants in general. It’s an enjoyable group dining experience and the food is very good. That would be my choice.

Reaction Score
I'm looking to go out for my birthday and want to try food that I haven't had before. So far, I've thought of the Tibetan restaurant in Middletown and an Ethiopian restaurant in New Haven. What other recommendations can the Boneyard foodies give me? Keep in mind I live in Hartford area, so not looking to venture much past New Haven
I have heard Ethiopian food is great. Places like that where the culture is thousands of years old usually have a great cuisine.

Reaction Score
Sad, I noticed 13 posts and figured that there might actually be unique restaurants in CT.

When I read unique, I think of 'different' or out of the ordinary.
i-can-see-4dwz5c.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Re Ethiopian, it is fun and different; but I still mourn the closing of Caffe Adulis, which I think was better and more fun than Lalibella.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
21 oak is really good. Also, not to be a creep, but the most beautiful waitress I’ve ever had worked there.

Reaction Score
21 oak is really good. Also, not to be a creep, but the most beautiful waitress I’ve ever had worked there.
I personally would be willing to sacrifice some food quality to look at a beautiful waitress during my meal. An automatic half star to the review.

Reaction Score

Hey Mr. Shadle! I went to high school with his daughter. Cuuuutttie!

Also, to actually contribute to this thread I’ll back the Tibetan place in Middletown and Ethiopian Food as a whole.

My personal contributions would be Cora Cora (Peruvian restaurant), Han Restaurant (Chinese Hot Pot), and Tisane Euro-Asian Fusion Cafe. If you haven’t tried these, worth a shot. All in Hartford-West Hartford. Ginza for sushi.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom