OT ~ UConn tapping SEC Leadership (get minds out of the gutter) | The Boneyard

OT ~ UConn tapping SEC Leadership (get minds out of the gutter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
President Herbst is building quite the team...

Deborah Corum Named Senior Associate Director of Athletics

Brings to UConn a wide variety of experience in both conference and campus settings

Sept. 5, 2012

STORRS, Conn. - Deborah P. Corum, who has over 20 years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, has been named the Senior Associate Director of Athletics/Sport Administration and Senior Woman Administrator at the University of Connecticut.

spacer.gif

In her role at UConn, Corum will serve as the sports administrator for women's basketball, volleyball, softball, field hockey and golf. She will serve as chair of the Sports Administrators Group and responsible for gender equity, athletic training, strength and conditioning, sports performance and strategic planning.

"I am extremely excited to welcome Debbie to the UConn family," said Director of Athletics Warde Manuel. "She brings a great background from working at the Southeastern Conference and also from some of the most prestigious campus environments in the country. I know that she will proudly support and serve our student-athletes and coaches in all 24 of our sports programs."

Corum comes to UConn after spending the previous 12 years at the Southeastern Conference after working at the league for a total of 19 years.

"The University of Connecticut is a prestigious university and I consider it an honor to have this opportunity" said Corum. "I truly believe that the stage is set for UConn's overall athletic program to become even more successful with Warde's leadership of the athletic department and direction that President Susan Herbst brings to the University. I am also confident of the future of the BIG EAST Conference with our new commissioner Mike Aresco. I am filled with excitement to be part of this administrative team at UConn. I appreciate the experience of working with Mike Slive and my colleagues at the Southeastern Conference. They have taught me so much in the last 24 years and I believe that experience has prepared me to meet the challenge."

Corum served as the Associate Commissioner for Sports Administration since 2003 and assisted with the transition of adding new members into the conference while serving as a liaison with coaches in developing schedules, interpreting rules of competition, conducting coaches' meetings. She was also the liason to the Senior Woman Administrators and served as the staff contact with the SEC Sports Medicine Directors for five years.

From 2000-03, Corum was the Associate Commissioner of Championships at the SEC and had oversight for 16 of the league's sports. Included in her responsibilities was developing promotional plans, coordinating television schedules and managing event staff.

Corum has a wide variety of on-campus experience as she was the Associate/Assistant Athletic Director for Olympic Sports at Louisiana State University from 1996-2000 as she supervised 17 sports and was the Senior Woman Administrator.

She was the Assistant Athletic Director of Intercollegiate Sports at Stanford from 1994-96 and had oversight over 12 sports. She also was the Tournament Director for NCAA and conference events that were held on campus.

Corum's first stint at the SEC was between 1989-94 when she was the Director of Championships and the Assistant Director of Championships. She managed ticket operations for the league's football championship game and men's and women's basketball tournaments. She also supervised the sports of gymnastics, volleyball and men's and women's tennis.

Corum had a wide variety of experience on the national level as she was a member of the NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Committee and currently is a member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Collegiate Women Athletics Administrators (NACWAA). She was the NACWAA Conference Administrator of the Year in 2006. She is a noted Title IX expert as she was a speaker before the United States Secretary of Education's Commission on Title IX in 2002. She was an expert witness in the noted "Maudie vs. University of Mississippi" lawsuit.

Corum earned her bachelor of science degree from Vanderbilt in psychology and education in 1976.

She has three grown children Kristin, Mandi and Rob and two grandchildren Noah and Ollie.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Have we added women's golf or is the article just a bit vague on the fact that beyond the women's sports that she is administering, she also will be admin for the (men's) golf team?

Reaction Score
Shouldn't be a surprise going to the SEC for talent. If memory serves, UConn hired a former SEC commish to conduct the feasibility study that resulted in the football program upgrade. Imagine where we would be today if it hired Marinatto for that study instead.

Reaction Score
Imagine where we would be today if it hired Marinatto for that study instead.

Very true. It confirms what some folks won't concede--- that one person, one leader, with a different vision and style can change everything--for better or worse. I laugh when some folks say it doesn't matter who is elected President this November. It matters a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom