OT - Uconn named most sustainable campus in the world, | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Uconn named most sustainable campus in the world,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just curious, exactly what scientific studies are you talking about? What is the issue? Your post completely lacks substance. Before you tee off on someone, perhaps you ought to pick a reason why you are taking a head shot at them.
So apparently trying to make the campus a nicer place to be with greenspace etc, using the old fryer oil from dining halls that would be thrown out otherwise to help fuel the buses on campus, switching to a much more efficient co-generation plant so that the campus makes its own electricity and steam heat at the same time, trying to find ways of making the campus more energy efficient with new lighting, reducing excess water consumption, composting food waste from dining halls and then re-using it in the agriculture and facility operations of the campus, and hell having the first athletic facility in the NCAA that meets leed standards are all Politically Correct "Bullspit" and a going for a "useless title"

Are we really supposed to think that's the only reason UConn is doing all of this? Some #1 ranking on a website?

No it's called trying to get ahead of all of this green technology, and becoming a leader in bio-diesel production technology, fuel cell technology etc by creating programs that our students can be involved in and take advantage of long term in their careers, while improving the campus at the same time. And don't forget getting those all so important federal research dollars that will get us into the AAU and eventually the Big Ten:eek:

The #1 ranking is just a by-product of that, and It sure seems that the guy he was responding to was the one without a whole lot of substance to his argument

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Terrible to know we are among the most politically correct in the USA.
I'm sick of all this political correctness too. While we're at it, UConn should give the boot to those pinko stem cell researchers.

Why spend the money on professors or students when we can have a useless title? Let's buy into junk science and pat ourselves on the back.

You are missing the forest for the trees. Wait, that metaphor might not quite fit your worldview – ah, you are missing the factory for the smokestacks. That’s better.

Look again at some of the other US schools on that list. This type of story is a feather in the cap for any school that wants to be seen as a legitimate, forward thinking 21st century research university, not a liability. Your politics are showing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So apparently trying to make the campus a nicer place to be with greenspace etc, using the old fryer oil from dining halls that would be thrown out otherwise to help fuel the buses on campus, switching to a much more efficient co-generation plant so that the campus makes its own electricity and steam heat at the same time, trying to find ways of making the campus more energy efficient with new lighting, reducing excess water consumption, composting food waste from dining halls and then re-using it in the agriculture and facility operations of the campus, and hell having the first athletic facility in the NCAA that meets leed standards are all Politically Correct "Bullspit" and a going for a "useless title"

Are we really supposed to think that's the only reason UConn is doing all of this? Some #1 ranking on a website?

No it's called trying to get ahead of all of this green technology, and becoming a leader in bio-diesel production technology, fuel cell technology etc by creating programs that our students can be involved in and take advantage of long term in their careers, while improving the campus at the same time. And don't forget getting those all so important federal research dollars that will get us into the AAU and eventually the Big Ten:eek:

The #1 ranking is just a by-product of that, and It sure seems that the guy he was responding to was the one without a whole lot of substance to his argument
Hume said:
Yes how dare they actually believe the scientific studies and all that mumbo jumbo. Hell the next thing you know they will get some kind of award for biology, evolutionary study or some other bullspit like that. Why can't we be a progressive school like they have in the south and teach creationism and dispute all that science stuff? Just think of all the recruits we could get from Texas.​
This was his post. It was entirely pointless drivel. Your post, however, was substanative. Now people can intelligently disagree about how 'green' green technology actually is, since it is often incredibly inefficient. That's reasonable. His creationist/big oil diatribe, however, served no purpose other than to decrease the collective IQ on the board.​
Reread my post and realize it wasn't an attack on those wishing to make the campus a nicer place through the reuse of fryer grease rather it was a suggestion that he actually take a position rather than trot out tired stereotypes.​

Reaction Score
Nice but its in education related matters. I always thought college rankings only matter in best female coeds, best parties, easiest classes, etc...

Anyway for recruits and more importantly their parent(s) its great! Ollie has another bullet in his gun.

Reaction Score
This was his post. It was entirely pointless drivel. Your post, however, was substanative. Now people can intelligently disagree about how 'green' green technology actually is, since it is often incredibly inefficient. That's reasonable. His creationist/big oil diatribe, however, served no purpose other than to decrease the collective IQ on the board.​
Reread my post and realize it wasn't an attack on those wishing to make the campus a nicer place through the reuse of fryer grease rather it was a suggestion that he actually take a position rather than trot out tired stereotypes.​
Oh but him calling green technology bullspit, and Uconn is terrible for being "politically correct", was taking an intelligent position and served to increase the collective IQ of the board? 97 percent of scientist believe in global warming, which is 2 % more than those that believe in evolution. So pardon me if I find his statement ludicrous and point it out. I am glad Uconn is taking a lead in something that is working to the improvement of our planet. My attack was on someone diminishing a very good recognition of Uconn, because he devalues scientific study as bullspit. I guess in your mind that increases the IQ here.

U

UCONNfan1

Good stuff. The younger generation seems to be much more aware of social and environmental issues. It should help attract some great R&D as well as students who are very environmentally savvy. It certainly can't hurt.

Reaction Score
You are an a%%hole. Doing the right thing is politically correct? Is it PC to not kill too? Or not steal your neighbor's car?

And PS - carbon has a cost. You just don't pay for it - yet.
Oh no, a carbon trader. If you buy that scam, to will be hard to reason with you.

Excellent insulting, BTW, no real points, but who needs 'em when you call someone names.

Reaction Score
.......Don't forget getting those all so important federal research dollars that will get us into the AAU

Ding, Ding, Ding

Whether the greening of UConn was driven by political correctness, passionate belief in helping the environment, or a cold blooded cost/benefit analysis--- the reality is this type of publicity is helpful in enhancing UConn's image as a fast rising major research University.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ding, Ding, Ding

Whether the greening of UConn was driven by political correctness, passionate belief in helping the environment, or a cold blooded cost/benefit analysis--- the reality is this type of publicity is helpful in enhancing UConn's image as a fast rising major research University.
I don't know but I get the sense that green technology may be a dry well. (See what I did there?) It seems pretty well exploited and has established players and has yet to produce much of value. Solar, fail. Electric cars, fail and probably not all that green. I think biotech is a much richer field and better source of revenues. There is some overlap with bio fuels.

That said the place to experiment with green ideas is a college campus, where you've got a big enough community to test ideas and relatively controlled environment. I think it is great that Connecticut won this award BTW, I'm just not sure that green industry R&D is a good long term investment for us. That's just gut, I haven't looked into it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom