OT: [Tony] Stewart Kills Driver and... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: [Tony] Stewart Kills Driver and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The seems the sheriff was properly and correctly investigating a fatal accident. Exactly what happened that would elevate this to a criminal investigation?

Hopefully it won't be a criminal investigation, just an impartial one to determine if this was an unfortunate accident without assignable blame or whether there was an indictable offense committed. The day of the event the Sheriff had stated that Stewart was not under investigation and I suspect he caught flak for that and came around to saying today that "all options are on the table" or some such as indicated in the news report. Some define accident to mean incident without fault; the investigation is to determine if there is grounds to believe Stewart may be culpable in the death. I hope this responds to your question Civil War Buff.

Reaction Score
The seems the sheriff was properly and correctly investigating a fatal accident. Exactly what happened that would elevate this to a criminal investigation?
You must have missed the footage from the video everyone else has seen. It was clear and loud Tony tried to intimidate his opponent by brushing him back or maybe just trying to spray him with dirt. He floored the throttle at the last place he should have for a racer under caution, this near the vacinity of the wreck.
He has miles and miles of documented experience in a variety of racing skills, he is great at what he does. On the other hand he has reached the age where those skills tail off. Did he try to make a move he could have pulled off a few years ago? We may never know but from what I have seen he killed a man and that alone calls for a criminal investigation. Of course he is considered innocent for now...

Reaction Score
Hey Woof, I didn't realize you were in the passenger seat. You saw him not only accelerate but watched as he "floored the throttle".
Finally, an I eyewitness to the crime. Not like those who watched a video taken from the other side of the track yet could swear that with a dozen cars buzzing around, they could pick out the noise of a particular car from clear across the track.
Why didn't you stop him ? I think that qualifies you as an accomplice, among other things.

Reaction Score
Stewart may be guilty of a crime, but they are going to need far more than the widely distributed video to prove it. Hopefully the track and spectators have other tapes and evidence that will either convict or clearly exonerate him as the nagging questions will haunt him and the victim's family.

On the other hand, only a rage infested, common sense deprived person walks across a poorly lit backwater racetrack in a black driving suit to challenge at close proximity the driver of a car that is designed to change direction primarily by sliding through turns and is traveling at roughly 50 ft/sec. I feel sorry for the kid (and even more, his family), but that reads like a Darwin Awards candidate. If this leads to rules that prevent such a tragedy from happening again then, at least, his death won't have been completely in vain.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You must have missed the footage from the video everyone else has seen. It was clear and loud Tony tried to intimidate his opponent by brushing him back or maybe just trying to spray him with dirt. He floored the throttle at the last place he should have for a racer under caution, this near the vacinity of the wreck.
He has miles and miles of documented experience in a variety of racing skills, he is great at what he does. On the other hand he has reached the age where those skills tail off. Did he try to make a move he could have pulled off a few years ago? We may never know but from what I have seen he killed a man and that alone calls for a criminal investigation. Of course he is considered innocent for now...
It looks completely different to me. I think you are making huge assumptions without solid evidence.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Facepalm_Black_Tile_5_1024x1024.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Assuming this video was taken by a cellphone from a location on the other side of the track, how can anyone say it was clear that the "revved" engine was Stewart's? The microphone on a cellphone is that precise?

Reaction Score
Having spent several years of every summer Saturday night at a half mile dirt track both in the pits/infield and in the stands, when all the cars are running it is very difficult to pick the sound of one out from another unless you are in a car or right next to it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Plus it is, also, very hard to tell if the engine raced because he suddenly downshifted. The maneuver of the vehicle seems to me less a power slide than a fishtail which COULD be consistent with a sudden downshift or tapping of the brakes because a person is suddenly entering your path on the track.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Well, being Tony is an Indiana boy it is still all over the news here. There is also a slow motion version of that video and you can see that Ward tried to jump and grab onto the top wing of Stewart's car at the same time Stewart makes the attempt to go left. that's when he loses his balance he is flung to the ground and slides down the track. He lost his life over a very poor decision he made.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
get out of jury.JPG

:)

Reaction Score
Tony Steward's career is doomed! If not by law it will be by Karma. Hot head equals dump.

Reaction Score
A few here are talking as if the race was being run when the driver was hit. There was a caution out and the cars were going maybe 20-30 MPH in single file. Stewart wasn't anywhere near race speed when his car fishtailed into Ward.

The person that no one has quoted is the driver who was behind Stewart. It's strange that he hasn't even been identified since he might have had the best view of whether Ward walked into Stewart's car or whether Stewart's fishtail was the cause.

I have no idea from what I saw whether there was intent but it isn't any secret that NASCAR has promoted an "in your face" image among the drivers. Announcers have stated that NASCAR encouraged aggression and cameras were always ready to catch any confrontation. There are too many instances to count of drivers leaving their cars and going after who they thought wronged them on the track. Hell, even Danica took part in these macho displays that remind me of pro wrestling. I've seen Nascar drivers run up and throw there helmet at the windshield of the car that hit them as it passes by on the track.

The person that no one has quoted is the driver who was behind Stewart. It's strange that he hasn't even been identified since he might have had the best view of whether Ward walked into Stewart's car or whether Stewart's fishtail was the cause.

Can gladiatorial fights to the death be far behind?

Reaction Score
Not a NASCAR race.

I am aware, but like college BB players emulate the pros and little leaguers emulate the majors, dirt trackers pick up on what they do in NASCAR. It may be a different organization but they are the tail that wags the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom