OT: To the Dogs (Music Thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: To the Dogs (Music Thread)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
No version of "Pony" like this one friends.

Reaction Score
With the Boneyard demographics I think more than a few of you will remember Fabian.

Reaction Score
I like the Procul Harum version and album, but this was interesting.

Procol Harum - A Salty Dog

New to me and a very interesting listen.

Per Wikipedia-
"Salty Dog" (aka "Salty Dog Blues") is an early 1900s folk song. It is in the public domain. It has been recorded by blues, jazz, country music, bluegrass groups and other styles. The oldest recordings of the song credit Papa Charlie Jackson, who adapted the song directly from the African-American traditional for Paramount and for Broadway in 1924. According to Jas Obrecht, "Old-time New Orleans musicians from Buddy Bolden’s era recalled hearing far filthier versions of 'Salty Dog Blues' long before Papa Charlie’s recording." Similar versions were recorded by Mississippi John Hurt and Lead Belly.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
side project from some dudes who you probably know from other bands

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
New to me and a very interesting listen.

Per Wikipedia-
"Salty Dog" (aka "Salty Dog Blues") is an early 1900s folk song. It is in the public domain. It has been recorded by blues, jazz, country music, bluegrass groups and other styles. The oldest recordings of the song credit Papa Charlie Jackson, who adapted the song directly from the African-American traditional for Paramount and for Broadway in 1924. According to Jas Obrecht, "Old-time New Orleans musicians from Buddy Bolden’s era recalled hearing far filthier versions of 'Salty Dog Blues' long before Papa Charlie’s recording." Similar versions were recorded by Mississippi John Hurt and Lead Belly.
Of course, the Procol Harum song, with the surreal lyrics by Keith Reid, is a completely different beast from the old American folk song. I really think A Salty Dog was Procol’s finest moment. The live version with full orchestra was remarkable.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not in the song title or artist name, but it's all over the lyrics. "Move over little dog, a mean ol' dog is moving in."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Some more Tigers

Tiger Rag - Pasadena Roof Orchestra

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What sad story this young woman left behind. RIP Phyllis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom