OT-Tim Wakefield Passes Away | The Boneyard

OT-Tim Wakefield Passes Away

Reaction Score
Really bummed to hear of his passing. Didn't realize he only had days left when news broke about his cancer.

His story was a cool one. Failed outfielder who made his mark with the knuckleball and became a World Series champion.

I never read anything bad about him. He was suppose to be a standup guy and a good teammate. I remember him pulling up in his truck outside of Fenway and going through the players entrance. He got out and gave a thumbs up to he fans as they closed the gate.

Reaction Score
Wake was the ultimate team player. I remember him pitching multiple innings of the loss in game 3 of the ALCS in 2004. This saved the rest of the staff allowing them to win the remaining games and ALCS series win. This after giving up the HR to Aaron Boone in 2003.

I have seen multiple tributes from teammates mentioning what a class act and teammate he was. Even Clemons stated that Wake was the ultimate competitor. RIP Wake.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He was tremendous his first year with the Sox. 3rd in Cy Young voting. I remember some of those games. I swear he could throw the knuckler for strikes.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So terrible for Tim to pass this young and so quickly after diagnosis. He was in the Sox broadcast booth just a few weeks ago! As if this is not enough, his wife is reportedly battling a tough form of cancer herself. This is all occurring while their two kids are still just teenagers. Really tough circumstances for the family!

Wakefield did so much for different charities and was nominated for the Roberto Clemente award eight times, while winning the award once! He called it the highlight of his life. His former teammates seemed to universally love him, as shown with all the tears and compliments in interviews today. My son actually met him twice while in college in Florida and said he couldn't have been a nicer guy. He will definitely be missed! Rest in peace Tim!
A Yankee fan but liked Wakefield. Cancer is the pits, took my wife almost a year ago. RIP Wake.

Reaction Score
That 95 season was amazing. Duquette constantly would pick up guys off waivers to find anyone who could help. Clemens was supposed the be the ace but had a bad year. and Wakefield comes in off the scrap heap and goes on a 14-1 run averaging 8 innings per start.

Reaction Score
That 95 season was amazing. Duquette constantly would pick up guys off waivers to find anyone who could help. Clemens was supposed the be the ace but had a bad year. and Wakefield comes in off the scrap heap and goes on a 14-1 run averaging 8 innings per start.
Wake was one pitcher who struck out 4 men in an inning. Most other pitchers on that list threw knuckleballs as well.

Reaction Score
A Yankee fan but liked Wakefield. Cancer is the pits, took my wife almost a year ago. RIP Wake.
Sorry about your wife CZ. It took both of my parents and other family members as well. Just a horrible disease! Hopefully today's immunotherapies can make a difference soon!

Reaction Score
I know I'm not the only Yankee fan that would see him and say "ahh ****in Wakefield..." Crazy how his illness was kept so private in this day and age with the exception of ketchup sock blabbling on twitter a couple days ago. Sad for his family and Sox nation. One of those guys that made the rivalry so much fun. Rest easy knuckleballer.

Reaction Score
Another Yankee fan who always had a ton of respect for Wakefield. He just seemed like an incredibly good guy.

Reaction Score
Was there any information on what killed him? I thought I saw brain cancer somewhere but no other information

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Really good dude who did a ton of work for charities and loved flying airplanes and aviation.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He was tremendous his first year with the Sox. 3rd in Cy Young voting. I remember some of those games. I swear he could throw the knuckler for strikes.

I'll never forget that year he started 14-1.

Tough news to hear. RIP Wake.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Another Yankee fan here. I thought the world of Tim Wakefield. One of my favorite players. RIP. Unfortunately, maybe the last knuckleballer we'll ever see. There is an old baseball book written by Tom House and Craig Wright titled The Diamond Appraised. It devotes an entire chapter to the importance of having a knuckleballer on the roster. The book is a great read despite its age.

Reaction Score
Was there any information on what killed him? I thought I saw brain cancer somewhere but no other information
Since his wish was to keep this private, there's not a lot of information out there, but brain cancer of some type seems to be the cause. I read that a seizure may have occurred, though not confirmed, which could have been why there was such a brief time from time of diagnosis to his passing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Scary part of this story for me is that he died so shortly after his cancer was discovered. What a nightmare.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear this. As a Yankee fan he gave me fits. But always a good guy.

Reaction Score
I have meet Wake many times. He was a regular at the TPC celebrity pro-am each year. Many of the UCONN coaches have golfed with him thru the years. He was always more then happy to sign a autograph or answer a sox question. Seemed like a really nice guy. RIP WAKE

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Wakefield was one of the really good guys. And I'm a Yankee fan. He maybe the best knuckler ever and probably the last one we will see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom