OT - Tiger/Masters Talk | The Boneyard

OT - Tiger/Masters Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Lets start with the non-DQ. I'm 50/50 on it, but I could really do without the people trying to argue about how WD would reclaim the honor he lost from cheating on his wife.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He should have been DQ'ed.

Any other player would be DQ'ed.

The rules committee legally determined there was a loophole in rule 33. The onus is on the player to know the rules.

Chamblee is correctly grilling Tiger on the Golf Channel.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
RT @WhitlockJason Golf survived racism and sexism. The "integrity" of the game will survive a bad drop and scorecard.

Reaction Score
Tiger cheated?
AND
Many people have forgiven him because he's the greatest golfer on earth and he's great for TV ratings?
This is unprecedented!
I don't believe it!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kinda hard to suggest it's cheating.

Also tough to say he did anything but intentionally break a rule to gain a competitive advantage. Ignorance of a rule by a player hasn't ever been an acceptable excuse in any sport.

Reaction Score
Also tough to say he did anything but intentionally break a rule to gain a competitive advantage. Ignorance of a rule by a player hasn't ever been an acceptable excuse in any sport.

If it was malicious, why would he have said anything? Even if you think he had some kind of absurd confidence to think he wouldn't be disqualified, clearly he wouldn't have wanted the 2 stroke penalty, right?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If it was malicious, why would he have said anything? Even if you think he had some kind of absurd confidence to think he wouldn't be disqualified, clearly he wouldn't have wanted the 2 stroke penalty, right?

He wrongly assumed he could do what he did. Ignorant or willful, either way he was wrong.

Golf has always the burden on the player to know the rules and suffer the consequences if they are wrong.

One saving grace for Tiger is that the rules official on the course told him he was good to go. Players should always be allowed for interpretation on the course.

Reaction Score
You said it was intentional. In my book, it has to be intentional to be cheating. If it's unintentional, it's obviously not good, but it's not something to get into a furor over.

Especially since he did suffer consequences. He'd be within striking distance of the lead if this hadn't transpired this way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You said it was intentional. In my book, it has to be intentional to be cheating. If it's unintentional, it's obviously not good, but it's not something to get into a furor over.

Especially since he did suffer consequences. He'd be within striking distance of the lead if this hadn't transpired this way.

I said he intentionally made the choice to drop where he did.

No different than intentionally driving 20 mph over the speed limit or just not knowing what is the posted limit. Either way you are driving the same speed.

As for suffering consequences, anyone else would be DQed.

Reaction Score
Nice try with the word-smithing, but you realize the post is still there right?

"intentionally break a rule to gain a competitive advantage"

And it's obviously not a normal situation, because they could have easily confronted him at the end of his round, assessed the 2 strokes at that time, and none of this would have happened. But the rules committee reviewed it and found there to be no violation.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Tiger is in 3rd place right now. Oops tied for 8th after the deduction. That will cost him. Jason Day finished 2nd in 2011 with a closing round -4 on The Big Stage. Age 25 he's going to be one to watch after some injuries last year.

Reaction Score
He intentionally dropped in the place that he dropped...he didn't intend to break a rule. I have no problem with the decision. Seems like it is in line with the recently adopted rule that was put in place for this very reason.

Reaction Score
I said he intentionally made the choice to drop where he did.

No different than intentionally driving 20 mph over the speed limit or just not knowing what is the posted limit. Either way you are driving the same speed.

As for suffering consequences, anyone else would be DQed.
You're wrong.

Reaction Score
Tiger is not relevant in majors on weekends. Parts of his game are lousy. Go watch his 16, 17, 18. His driving game is awful. He scrambles around, gives himself way too few birdie opportunities to stay with the leaders.

He may win multiple more Honda Classics and other ones with lousy fields, but I doubt he gets a major or more than 1.

W/o penalty he would be -5, but his game looks bad. His putting actually looks decent this week, but little else.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nice try with the word-smithing, but you realize the post is still there right?

"intentionally break a rule to gain a competitive advantage"

And it's obviously not a normal situation, because they could have easily confronted him at the end of his round, assessed the 2 strokes at that time, and none of this would have happened. But the rules committee reviewed it and found there to be no violation.

Fair enough. To be perfectly clear, he intentionally dropped where he did for the sole purpose of gaining an advantage. He had the choice to drop in three different locations. And the choice he made was against the rules.

And I agree that the on-course decision by the rules official was to his advantage.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Tiger is not relevant in majors on weekends. Parts of his game are lousy.

W/o penalty he would be -5, but his game looks bad. His putting actually looks decent this week, but little else.

Which is exactly why he indeed is relevant and will likely win more majors. He can play poorly and still only be 2 strokes off the lead (if he hadn't been penalized)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He couldn't intentionally attempt to break a rule. He knows every shot is broadcast to the world. Of course he intentionally tried to pick the best option, he said as much.

Seems to me the penalty and decision was fair. As opposed to the penalty on the 14 year old that was ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. To be perfectly clear, he intentionally dropped where he did for the sole purpose of gaining an advantage. He had the choice to drop in three different locations. And the choice he made was against the rules.

And I agree that the on-course decision by the rules official was to his advantage.

So do you agree that it wasn't cheating?

When any player has choices in front of them, they should be choosing the one that is to their advantage. He was clearly wrong to think that what he did was an available choice, but he's not obligated to take the most difficult choice either.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So do you agree that it wasn't cheating?

When any player has choices in front of them, they should be choosing the one that is to their advantage. He was clearly wrong to think that what he did was an available choice, but he's not obligated to take the most difficult choice either.

We have different definitions of "cheating".

Most pro golfers, current and retired, say he should be DQed. Either by the officials or by himself.

Greg Norman at the GHO is a good example of a doing what's right.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If any other player would have been disqualified, people would have been up in arms. But, because it's Tiger, people are up in arms because he hasn't been disqualified.

Honestly, nobody saw anything. It wasn't until he said in his post round interview that he dropped it a couple yards back that the looked into it. So for most players, who aren't giving those interviews, it wouldn't be noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom