OT: Theatre Music | The Boneyard

OT: Theatre Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We got a couple more days til we play again. Sooooo. I was down in NYC this weekend and the wife and I caught School of Rock at the Winter Garden on Broadway. Soooo I thought why not move on from our City Music thread to a Broadway thread. So any songs from a Broadway musical. (or Westside End, but if it didn't get to Broadway.... well)

I'll start with one of the biggies. Miss Elaine Paige, Memory

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Yeah, West Side Story is hot.
When I got to supervise a mini concert version at Caramoor these many years ago I was taken by the unbelievable violence of the music. Quite subdued in the Movie Version.

But there is another show...that I saw 16 times in 1962...wonderful music, literate, intellectual, heart-warming, funny.
Caramoor remembered how much I loved it and opened last year with a semi-staged version.
Tiny orchestra...18 or so. A masterpiece.
Does anybody remember Barbara Cook as a 95 pound waif?

Reaction Score
I was 'kinda surprised that the "School of Rock" reviews were so kind.
While we moderately enjoyed it right before it "opened", I expect the predictable report cards (from the critiques) to be some variation of "Andrew - Not your best work"
I'm glad it's doing well, the entire cast is so charming.

That said, the Gloria Estefan bio-play is a really great night of entertainment.
While I love her music, I anticipated "On Your Feet" might be your typically ditsy "Jukebox Musical" concoction (see "Movin Out") but - in addition to the wonderful songbook, it tells a great American story.

Five Stars!

We got a couple more days til we play again. Sooooo. I was down in NYC this weekend and the wife and I caught School of Rock at the Winter Garden

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This song knocked the Beatles out of the Number One position after fourteen straight weeks, back in 1964.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Incomparable vocal drama and power from a young Audra McDonald

From "Porgy & Bess" [1935] Gershwin/Gershwin

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Isn't she beautiful? Judy Collins used to hang out at UConn in the early sixties.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Ironically this gorgeous melody was not sung by either Henry Higgins or Eliza Doolittle, the show’s leads. It went to the supporting character Freddy Enysford-Hill who sings it outside Eliza’s window after he has met her at the Ascot races. In a show full of hit tunes, this one stood out and climbed the charts in versions by such pop male songsters as Vic Damone, Eddie Fisher, and Andy Williams not long after the show opened in 1956.

Reaction Score
I Got Rhythm from Girl Crazy (1930) - Gershwin(s) and Garland

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes from Roberta (1933) - Jerome Kern and Otto Harbach sung here by Connee Boswell

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"Think of musical comedy, the most glorious words in the English language!"

Reaction Score
We got a couple more days til we play again. Sooooo. I was down in NYC this weekend and the wife and I caught School of Rock at the Winter Garden on Broadway. Soooo I thought why not move on from our City Music thread to a Broadway thread. So any songs from a Broadway musical. (or Westside End, but if it didn't get to Broadway.... well)

I'll start with one of the biggies. Miss Elaine Paige, Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc