OT - The final Letterman Show is tonight | The Boneyard

OT - The final Letterman Show is tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Anybody tuning in?

I haven't watched in years, but I will tonight. I loved Carson when I was a kid, especially on nights where my dad and I would watch together. I think a lot of Carson's shows hold up very well.

For his part, Dave was pretty groundbreaking in his style and tone. He was literally worshipped by a lot of my peers back in college (1980s). Comedians, too, give him a lot of credit. He was (is) whip smart.

I read somewhere that recently, Dave was reminiscing and told about how when Leno was still on, he thought: "....OK, there's still another guy in a suit working. This is viable." But after Leno left, he was surrounded by 'the Jimmies' and knew his days were numbered.

There's a 20-something guy in my office - when asked if he would be watching, he shrugged and said no. Dave's time has passed. But 33 years is a long, damn time(!) to do a nightly show and deserves a tip of the cap.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I won't watch, but only because I haven't watched in years. I will on occasion, look at stuff on YouTube and such from the show. I was always a Carson/Leno fan. Actually never liked CBS. They always seemed like the RC Cola to the Coke/Pepsi of ABC/NBC or NBC/ABC.

However that's a lot of years on TV and what I have seen has usually been good. I agree, a tip of the hat to him.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Letterman killed off my declining interest in late night TV early on. 4th rate comic with 20 highly paid writers who turned movie promoting and ass kissing of over the hill "personalities" into a " career" of sorts. A cigar, Dave, does not make you Grouco. Fade to black.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Nothing against Letterman (or Leno, for that matter), I just never watched much late night TV. Don't even know anything about the "new" crop.

That said, like others, what I have seen in passing, over the years, has been quite good (entertaining). Truthfully, the same was true for what I caught of Leno before he called it quits, but I kinda prefer what little I've seen of Letterman.

Wish him the very best, and yes, I'll probably watch (on tape) some of tonight's show.

Reaction Score
Anybody tuning in?

I haven't watched in years, but I will tonight. I loved Carson when I was a kid, especially on nights where my dad and I would watch together. I think a lot of Carson's shows hold up very well.

For his part, Dave was pretty groundbreaking in his style and tone. He was literally worshipped by a lot of my peers back in college (1980s). Comedians, too, give him a lot of credit. He was (is) whip smart.

I read somewhere that recently, Dave was reminiscing and told about how when Leno was still on, he thought: "....OK, there's still another guy in a suit working. This is viable." But after Leno left, he was surrounded by 'the Jimmies' and knew his days were numbered.

There's a 20-something guy in my office - when asked if he would be watching, he shrugged and said no. Dave's time has passed. But 33 years is a long, damn time(!) to do a nightly show and deserves a tip of the cap.
I agree with the kid in your office. Smart kid.

Reaction Score
Letterman makes $20 million per year and has NEVER won a National Championship...:rolleyes:
How many UConn WBB players are Lettermen making 20,000,000 per annum?? Beside DT and Sue of course!! (Joking) What's the difference between a Women BB player and a late nite talk show host? About $20,000,000. (old medical joke different occupations one female)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I won't watch, but only because I haven't watched in years. I will on occasion, look at stuff on YouTube and such from the show. I was always a Carson/Leno fan. Actually never liked CBS. They always seemed like the RC Cola to the Coke/Pepsi of ABC/NBC or NBC/ABC.

However that's a lot of years on TV and what I have seen has usually been good. I agree, a tip of the hat to him.
pretty much the same view... Carson/Leno, also about CBS

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How many UConn WBB players are Lettermen making 20,000,000 per annum?? Beside DT and Sue of course!! (Joking) What's the difference between a Women BB player and a late nite talk show host? About $20,000,000. (old medical joke different occupations one female)
And isn't even the highest paid Ball State alum.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Okay, gonna show my age here. Pre-teen I remember Jack Paar. Very adult entertainment. Oscar Levant and Judy Garland looked like they were gonna die on screen. Jack was always good for a cry ( him, not me) now and then.

In my teens, I thought Steve Allen was hysterically funny. Probably wouldn't today, but Steve could literally make letters to the editor funny. He also had more talent than any other talk show host.
I remember Johnny Carson on Who do you Trust? ( grammatically should have been WHOM do you Trust.) His sidekick was Ed McMahon. Johnny was self-centered, but a great talk show host.

Never got into Letterman.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some of the funniest moments on TV were associated with the Carson show. He knew when to keep quiet and when to interject. The video quality is lacking, but here's a classic from Rodney Dangerfield. Note the genuinely raucous audience.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Well, I'd been feeling old lately but after reading these posts, no longer! :D

Sure, I can remember Carson and he was amusing but taste in comedians, generally speaking, is generational. I loved Letterman but, eventually, stopped watching a while back. I love Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. The Daily Show is a staple of my TV diet and he is the late-night host I am most disappointed to lose. I am not excited about his replacement, Trevor Noah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom