OT: Thank You Auburn | The Boneyard

OT: Thank You Auburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For eliminating Tenn in Intercollegiate Softball NCAA Championship. In the vast wasteland of springtime sports I find the Softball NCAAs fun. More fun when the Orange go down.

PS. The Brakettes...now there was a team.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Was just thinking how much FUN the WCWS looks... Would love to attend some time in the not too distant future...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Are there any HS Softball, or Summer leagues for HS Age players in CT? Any1 know how many scholarships UConn gives out for Women's Softball? The State of CT used to have a tremendous history in Softball and now not so much.

Just looked at the UConn Softball Roster and there's only 1 player from the State of CT on it.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Are there any HS Softball, or Summer leagues for HS Age players in CT? Any1 know how many scholarships UConn gives out for Women's Softball? The State of CT used to have a tremendous history in Softball and now not so much.

Just looked at the UConn Softball Roster and there's only 1 player from the State of CT on it.

tremendous amount of summer softball in CT for that age group, Wbb: I coached for 20 years, from town rec league to 8 years of High School, and that included several years of summer ball. Summer ball teams tend to fall into 3 "levels", if you will. There are newer town teams, which are often a bit weak, stronger, more established town teams, and then well-established regional teams that draw from a pretty big area. My younger daughter and I were involved, at one time or another, in all three levels, including a strong regional team that finished in the top 20 at a national Pony tournament outside of DC.

As far as UConn softball, in recent years, kids from Griswold, Groton, and Waterford have been on the team. I'm most familiar with Fitch High in Groton, which, in recent years, has had grads play college ball at a D2 school in VA, Gettysburg College, WPI, UConn, Eastern (multiple players), Southern, Fordham. One kid who could have played college softball did not, because she was busy playing college basketball and volleyball at Pace.

Eastern CT Little League is strong, with teams from the Mystic area going to the eastern regional finals, and a Senior Team going to nationals in recent years.

Perhaps the best CT High School product in recent years, Rachele Fico of Masuk High, had a very successful 4-year career at LSU, and plays professionally for the Akron Racers.

ps. Oh, yeah, it's always nice to see Tenn lose in softball.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Was just thinking how much FUN the WCWS looks... Would love to attend some time in the not too distant future...
We went twice, and both were wonderful. Our first time, in '04 I think, was the last year that there was not a "Championship Series" between 2 finalists, so the series went Thursday through Sunday and that was it. UCLA won, we had excellent seats and caught a game ball (the World Series is the only NCAA softball event I know of where they don't take the balls back for re-use).

We went again a couple years ago when Alabama won. Only stayed through Sunday, didn't stay for the best of 3 series as it was Oklahoma vs. Alabama which fall under the "couldn't they both lose" theme. The next year we were planning to go (had tickets) but changed our mind with the tornado activity in the area - which did cause some schedule changes and time in shelters for teams.

Positives: Great Softball Action, really fun event, and Oklahoma is a great city to visit with good food and lots to see / do.
Negatives: As a 6 / 7 day event a bit longish, and weather / weather / weather - tornados, thunder storms and / or very hot.

If you ever do go, I have food and activity recommendations.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
For eliminating Tenn in Intercollegiate Softball NCAA Championship. In the vast wasteland of springtime sports I find the Softball NCAAs fun. More fun when the Orange go down.

As to Tennessee softball, and I said this before a few weeks ago on this board, I don't mind them. As a Tennessee poster confirmed, there are passionate supporters and passionate non-fans of the Weekly's who coach the team. But the players like them. I actually had them as one of my top hopes for winning it all.

That said, I'm not sorry Auburn eliminated them, as my wife and I are big Clint Myer fans. Even (agh) managed to root for that school up north while he was there (except when he played Arizona, of course).

There are only a few schools where I dislike every program - unfortunately, a whole bunch of them are in the WCWS - Oregon, UCLA, Alabama, Florida for sure. LSU softball I can tolerate, I liked the previous (retired) coach better, and I wish they hadn't beaten us in the Supers but still. My wife likes Michigan more than I do, but I can tolerate them. Their head coach is quirky.

Reaction Score

Raybestas Brakettes brings back memories one might say the good ole days ☺️

Reaction Score
Very few people expected them in the WCWS. Picked 8th in the SEC and at the mid-point in the season the pitching issues were seemingly going to be our undoing. Very proud they got as far as they did. Next year they bring in 4 pitchers so I'm hoping we get at least one gem out of the 4. Very young team this year so looking forward to more and more success.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As far as I'm concerned, the LVs can win everything in any sport other than basketball, and so can their men's teams...and I'm ok with the Gentlemen Vols winning in basketball too!

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score

Thanks...we love y'all too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer