OT: Tennis | The Boneyard

OT: Tennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
While our excitement about our undefeated Huskies is just overflowing, I would remind fans of tennis that the Aussie open is just a short time away.
Lead-up tournaments are ongoing. For those of us who want Venus to go on forever, she won her 1st round match in straight sets yesterday at Aukland.
The Tennis Channel schedule has matches of that tournament at 2pm and 4pm EST today.

Reaction Score
Serena won her first match as well, in Brisbane against Petkovic. 6-4 6-4.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Aussie coming up is exciting on the men's side! Can DJokovic keep owning this tourney? Conversely, can Nadal win here for the first time since 2009, his only title? It would make him the only man other than Roy Emerson and Rod Laver to win all four majors twice. Can Murray or even Federer manager to gain more glory?? Lots to get amped up about.

Meanwhile, The Aussie Open was a comfort zone for Serena. She's got five titles from Down Under, but it's been a few years since she's been able to contend for it. You know she wants to get back to the top here, plus the next major is #18, tying her with Martina and Chrissy. This could be the year that Serena ends all debate as the GOAT of the women's game.

Reaction Score
This could be the year that Serena ends all debate as the GOAT of the women's game.

I sure hope your "GOAT" acronym for Serena was meant to translate into "Greatest Of All Time." But after she next takes out Cibulkova, she'll then have to take on Sharapova, who's most recently hired coach, Sven Groeneveld, previously coached Monica Seles, Mary Pierce and Ana Ivanovic to Grand Slam titles.

And if Serena wins that match, she'll probably have to face Azarenka in the final. Not that easy a road to follow, this early in the season.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
While our excitement about our undefeated Huskies is just overflowing, I would remind fans of tennis that the Aussie open is just a short time away.
Lead-up tournaments are ongoing. For those of us who want Venus to go on forever, she won her 1st round match in straight sets yesterday at Aukland.
The Tennis Channel schedule has matches of that tournament at 2pm and 4pm EST today.

And on a related note from down under, I see that Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki are engaged!

Congratulations to both on their forthcoming nuptials. They do make a cute couple. And the ring is (not surprisingly) large :p....but not garish. Well done, Rory!

LINK

Bc2JER2CAAANXEl.jpg

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
As I wrote yesterday, the Tennis Channel is using the 2 & 4 pm(EST) slots for the
Auckland tournament. Sad for me is that Venus was not included yesterday, so although Venus just won her 2nd round match in 3 sets, we may not get her later today. Write your Congressperson.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Three days in arrow for matches is always tricky for Venus, given her health, but so far so good
as she has made the semis. She'll be up vs. fellow American Jamie Hampton.
Most vital, Venus seems to have high energy, is retrieving well, movement good. No problem with getting the 2nd serve in. You go girl.

Reaction Score
Serena once again is beating up on the screamer Sharapova. She won the first set 6-2. Too bad streamhunter.eu is down. I don't get tennis channel

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Serena once again is beating up on the screamer Sharapova. She won the first set 6-2. Too bad streamhunter.eu is down. I don't get tennis channel

And the 2nd is now entering a tiebreak.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And the 2nd is now entering a tiebreak.

Match over Serena 8-6 in the breaker.

I see that the Auckland semis(Venus) will be rebroadcast on Tennis Channel at 6pm EST.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Excited about the Aussie Open. I hope Serena can win another major. She may stock up this year.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Now we know. Venus had a walkover, and she'll play Ana Ivanovic in the final during our wee hours.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Serena's final is delayed broadcast at noon. Venus' at 6pm EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom