OT: Syracuse basketball player development | The Boneyard

OT: Syracuse basketball player development

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Question. Why has no one ever called out syracuse on their inability to develop players? Besides Carmelo, who was a #1 recruit all everything player who left the program after 1 season. They have essentially 0 players who make major contributions for nba squads (ok maybe mcw but playing major minutes for one of the worst teams in nba history is nothing to brag about) despite recruiting nothing but long athletic top 50 guys? Look at fab melo he was basically a sure fire top notch nba big coming out of hs with his skill set. Its an abysmal record of development. They play a rec basketball style zone defense. I dont get why players continue to go there....

caw

Reaction Score
1 - affiliation with the BE and now ACC
2 - Boeheim is a top notch college coach and I'm a pretty big zone detractor. He makes a decent number of final fours. Sure he seems to be unable to win the big one but he wins a ton of games and has some good postseason runs. He's no K, Izzo, Calhoun but he's pretty good at his job of winning college games.
3 - Carrier Dome. It's big and the fans can be loud.
4 - Melo and the Melo center. Melo has a ton of cred and the Melo center is an amazing training facility.
5 - exposure, there are a lot of Cuse grads in the media who are not unbiased

Honestly they don't even get that many MCDAAs. They get a bunch of guys in the top 100. They also recruit for the zone which usually does not mean the player has to do things like dribble or shoot. Why do players chose Cuse over a team like PC or SJU is obvious. Why a kid would chose them over Duke, UK, UConn, etc. that is a mystery.

They really didn't beat UConn out for many first option kids (they did get a few) over the years when Calhoun was coaching. Since Ollie has taken over but before he won this year they took three kids UConn was interested in (McCullough, Joseph and Richardson). It will be interesting to see if they can develop them, all three should be NBA guys sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
syracuse player development, that's an oxymoron

Reaction Score
In general, people don't bother calling out small-time programs.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Don't underestimate #5. SUs communications program is one of the biggest in the country, rivals Connecticut School of Broadcasting:)

Reaction Score
People say that don't like or even hate cuse but think and post about them a lot here. Just maybe they have a hidden affinity towards the program that just can't stay hidden.

I'd rather posters admit they love cuse and miss them, as opposed to posting discreetly worded 'I love you' messages.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why do we constantly have to have these threads? What is exactly the point? I swear we have the most ridiculous fan base. We've won four national titles in the last 15 years; an incredible run of success but yet we constantly have to make threads to try and make us feel better about ourselves. I generally don't like PC fans but they are right when they claim we have an inferiority complex. Why do we care in the least what Cuse has done and why do we create threads where we can try to prove to ourselves (as if we have to) that we are a better program? It's just so lame. Then you get the "doom and gloom" thread about how everyone is biased and we don't get respect bla, bla, bla... I'll remind everyone; we just won a f$**ing national title, we have the hottest coach in college basketball, and we potentially could be bringing in a monster recruiting class. Stop crying and whining about other schools and creating threads that only prove that we feel inferior.

Reaction Score
I've talked about this before but if you poll 10 fans where I live (Triangle in NC) six out of ten would say Syracuse is a better program. It's idiotic but as I've said perception becomes reality. UNC fans are the only ones who think of UConn as elite (I went to State and I love the school but our huckleberry fans HATTTTTEEEEE UConn -- mostly because of Caron and now Purvis).

And I'd argue this isn't as OT as you think. It seems every top target Uconn is currently after also has Cuse on their list. And it's a safe bet one or two probably choose them against all reason and chances to win big/develop.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
And I have family in Douglaston Queens where 6 of 10 polled will tell you St John's is a better program

Reaction Score
I'd love to see us take the high road with respect to Syracuse. Their forum has actually begun to do that, IMO. College basketball is all about rivalries and many good ones were lost when Cuse and Pitt moved to the ACC. They now know that. And when the afterglow of our championship wears off, we'll begin a new season that lacks big traditional rivalries too.

No teams are ever going to overtake the Duke-UNC rivalry in the ACC, so Cuse and Pitt will have a tough time adjusting to being the undercard in most years. They will never out-recruit those schools, and Boeheim, the face of Cuse, will retire soon. Also, the first year novelty has worn off.

The truth is that our former BE rivals need us, and we need them.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see us take the high road with respect to Syracuse. Their forum has actually begun to do that, IMO. College basketball is all about rivalries and many good ones were lost when Cuse and Pitt moved to the ACC. They now know that. And when the afterglow of our championship wears off, we'll begin a new season that lacks big traditional rivalries too.

No teams are ever going to overtake the Duke-UNC rivalry in the ACC, so Cuse and Pitt will have a tough time adjusting to being the undercard in most years. They will never out-recruit those schools, and Boeheim, the face of Cuse, will retire soon. Also, the first year novelty has worn off.

The truth is that our former BE rivals need us, and we need them.

What Kool Aid did you wake up and drink? lol……

Do we need to have threads on them? No although it's fun for some on occasion………….but F them their forum is full of a**wipes and that will never change so let the BY have fun with their failures in March.;)

Reaction Score
I really think their coaching staff only cares about their checks

I've talked about this before but if you poll 10 fans where I live (Triangle in NC) six out of ten would say Syracuse is a better program. It's idiotic but as I've said perception becomes reality. UNC fans are the only ones who think of UConn as elite (I went to State and I love the school but our huckleberry fans HATTTTTEEEEE UConn -- mostly because of Caron and now Purvis).

And I'd argue this isn't as OT as you think. It seems every top target Uconn is currently after also has Cuse on their list. And it's a safe bet one or two probably choose them against all reason and chances to win big/develop.

Interesting to see another NC State alumni here.

Reaction Score
Cuse was the perfect conference partner… Their strategic scheduling lead to a solid RPI & then they would fizzle out in the tourney.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Cmon dude just about every Cuse thread has someone talking about how they have like 5 total NBA players right now. You're been here over 3 years.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Don't underestimate #5. SUs communications program is one of the biggest in the country, rivals Connecticut School of Broadcasting:)

Easy does it there, my friend. The Newhouse School of Communiations hs an acceptance rate of <9%. Do you wanna try that?

Reaction Score
Fab Melo was absolutely horrible as a freshman, he had no skillset to speak of let alone being a sure-fire NBA big. He didn't even look like a D1 player he was so raw and out of shape. Cuse did a good job of improving him to his sophomore year where put up solid numbers and was a Big East DPOY. True, he couldn't even make it in the NBA but that isn't Cuse's fault, he was grossly overrated coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
Can I just ask what the point of this is? We are UCONN, we win championships with our guys and that's who we should be focused on. Syracuse gets recruits because they are a top tier program. I'm a lifetime Husky fan and alum and personally I've enjoyed and already miss our rivalry. And given the relationship Jim and Jim have had for years I just don't understand any of this. Maybe that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom