OT: Sweet Caroline is gone, finished! | The Boneyard

OT: Sweet Caroline is gone, finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Scared me for a moment. Tomorrow night, my wife and I will be hearing the Solitary Man sing his song. Don't want to miss a concert tour, because he is getting up there in age. I heard Frank Sinatra gave a great concert even when his voice was shot, but his songs were a little less strenuous to perform.

As to the Penn State thing - no, I don't think the song is controversial.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I am personally thankful I can not stand that song and the fewer chances I have to hear it the better. It is like fingernails on a black board to me.

Interesting. I always thought that it was another song that caused that type of reaction for you.

Reaction Score
We can thank Jerry Sandusky for this overreaction.

Can't blame Penn State, though. I understand Sandusky, Ohio, is preparing to change its name to Whyowhyo, Ohio.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
As far as the WCBB board is concerned, there is only one "sweet caroline", and her name is Doty. Everything else should be marked OT, please.
Which is why when I read that threadline I cringed, thinking that Ms. Doty had been injured yet again. So happy that it's just a story about Penn State.

And the song is creepy. Neil Diamond wrote it about an 11-year old Caroline Kennedy. I don't think he should be reaching out and touching her.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Which is why when I read that threadline I cringed, thinking that Ms. Doty had been injured yet again. So happy that it's just a story about Penn State.

And the song is creepy. Neil Diamond wrote it about an 11-year old Caroline Kennedy. I don't think he should be reaching out and touching her.

Easy Choke...these are extreme times when touch becomes a forgone suspicious action. Let's keep in mind that media highlights the tiny, tiny, super-tiny % of inapropriateness in touching. Try not to let those reports sicken our perceptions. Humans are meant to touch.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
PC run amok...
Is it PC or just prudent practicality? Agree with ETT about it being a gag reflex song, and a lot of elements just seem way out-of-place for sing-alongs at PSU football games ... "Good times never seemed so good" ... "Reaching out, touching me, touching you" ... "Where it began, I can't begin to knowing" ... "How can I hurt when holding you?" I mean, do the Nittany Lions need to deal with all the unfortunately misplaced references for a song of such little merit? I get that it was a "feel good" song for the crowds, but that's not the thing for PSU right now. Try "I Will Survive" or "Eye of the Tiger," though admittedly just about any song can have a lyric twisted. Sweet Caroline's are just too much on the surface.

And yeah, that's Sweet (and dogged) Caroline in my signature image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom