OT: Storrs Campus Watering Holes | The Boneyard

OT: Storrs Campus Watering Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A little off-topic, but I'm thinking that I need to diversify (a little) my drinking spot on campus, which for the past 29 years, has been Ted's. Any recommendations? Slightly off-campus is fine too. Back in the late-80's we did venture off campus - Margaritaville, was it Twister's at 4 corners and then a bar somewhere in Eagleville that I can't remember the name of. More of a local place, but I do remember watching the NIT Championship Game which was one of the more memorable nights while at UConn. Then again, can't imagine anything is better than Ted's........

Reaction Score
Willibrew in Willimantic is very cool. It's in an old post office and really a must go to spot but a little far for a pregame bar. Geno's restaurant in Storrs Center is new and super nice but a little fancier and expensive. Tavern House right off 84 is a pretty good spot also, good food and brews.

I have to say though nothing beats Ted's.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Willibrew is definitely tops imo. Bidwell Tavern is a decent alternative with good beer and very good but inconsistent wings.

If you really want to be adventurous try the Bach Dor in Chaplin.

Reaction Score
I can't believe someone actually mentioned the Bach Dor. Do they even let cars park there? Pretty sure it's just a biker bar. 10 minutes away from campus is "The Sports Bar" in North Windham. Right off of 195. The owner is a big Uconn sports supporter.

Reaction Score
A little off-topic, but I'm thinking that I need to diversify (a little) my drinking spot on campus, which for the past 29 years, has been Ted's. Any recommendations? Slightly off-campus is fine too. Back in the late-80's we did venture off campus - Margaritaville, was it Twister's at 4 corners and then a bar somewhere in Eagleville that I can't remember the name of. More of a local place, but I do remember watching the NIT Championship Game which was one of the more memorable nights while at UConn. Then again, can't imagine anything is better than Ted's...

Eagleville place maybe Hooligan's? It and Ted's were my top 2 in late 80s. I assume its gone by now.

Reaction Score
I can't believe someone actually mentioned the Bach Dor. Do they even let cars park there? Pretty sure it's just a biker bar.

Plus its about twenty minutes from campus in the wrong direction (assuming you're coming from west of Storrs). Not a good option IMO. The Sports Bar, Bidwell's and Willington Pizza are all good choices. I really like the new Dog Lane Cafe in the new Storrs Center too....they serve beer and wine, plus you're on campus.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bach Dor was a joke, mostly for the express purpose of eliciting disbelief at the mere mention of it. But we did have a few great adventures there back in the day. IIRC they had an insane Friday happy hour that was along the lines of Nickel Night at Thumpers (the drink special that is, not the talent...).

Oh yes I did invoke Thumpers now too.

Reaction Score
Went to Pub 32 on RT 32 off at the corner of South Eagleville. Great beer selections (obviously 32 beers on tap) and the food was good too.

Reaction Score
Pub32 has really stepped it up. Has anyone been to The Harp in Willi? Some coworkers swear by that place never been though. And if course Willibrew

Reaction Score
BoatShow said:
Pub32 has really stepped it up. Has anyone been to The Harp in Willi? Some coworkers swear by that place never been though. And if course Willibrew

The harp is good but its not worth going to over Willibrew.

If your in the mood for Irish food it will hit the spot. No complaints just doesn't live up to the brew pub.

Reaction Score
The bar at the Nathan Hale Inn on campus is actually quite lively before games and the food is quite good. More if you are over 30 As am I.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Nathan Hale bar is not bad in a pinch, and you can't beat the location. But it gets jammed.

I can't imagine how I would have made it through if that was there when I was living in Alumni.

I am very curious about this Pub 32. Can any beer snobs give me a read on how it compares to Willibrew?

Reaction Score
The Nathan Hale bar is not bad in a pinch, and you can't beat the location. But it gets jammed.

I can't imagine how I would have made it through if that was there when I was living in Alumni.

I am very curious about this Pub 32. Can any beer snobs give me a read on how it compares to Willibrew?
They don't brew but they have 32 draft lines (see what they did there?) Pretty good selection. It's the old Stonewall Tavern if you had ever gone there, more pub and less biker bar these days. I can't speak to the food.

My pre-game eatery/drinkery today: BYOB at Wooster St!!! (not sure what 6 I'm gonna bring)

Reaction Score
BoatShow said:
They don't brew but they have 32 draft lines (see what they did there?)
And it's on route 32! Getting pretty clever over there.

Reaction Score
images

Reaction Score

As a beer snob myself, I can't imagine they have 32 taps of all crap beer. They must have at least 15-20 good beers on tap.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Pub32 was schemdleys and before that hooligans!!!
In the late 80s I used to play at hooligans all the time. Great band scene there then, bud Collins trio, neybas, Gus factor ...
Hooligans is really where I learned how to become a performer. Don't hear it mentioned much anymore and when I do I get nostalgic, sorry for the ramble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom