OT: Stock trading | Page 186 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I’m getting absolutely slaughtered right now in my crypto and individual stock portfolio but still dumping extra cash every paycheck on top of my normal weekly buys across all my accounts. If you have job stability, can stomach it, and have a long term outlook recessions are great times to build long term wealth.
In theory yes. But people will be getting margin called soon, so they will continue to sell to free cash up. Everyone is highly over-leveraged.

I’m not buying again until we are near rock bottom. Not close yet IMO. Save the cash for now.

GG

Reaction Score
In theory yes. But people will be getting margin called soon, so they will continue to sell to free cash up. Everyone is highly over-leveraged.

I’m not buying again until we are near rock bottom. Not close yet IMO. Save the cash for now.
Near impossible to predict the bottom. Could nibble on some of the really good companies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Near impossible to predict the bottom. Could nibble on some of the really good companies.
We’re going to be in free fall until you see some highly over leveraged players force moves to the upside.

Reactions: GG
Reaction Score
Awfully quiet here... :(

Can someone... anyone... give me a beam of hope for LINK. Is it buying season?

If you have Link, you're early in my opinion. Utility tokens aren't sexy, but Link secures over 60 billion dollars worth of value via all the services they provide without a single loss since implementation. Staking (super linear) and CCIP are suppose to be released in 2022. I've accumulated since .80 cents and have been dca-ing ever since. Chainlink is the key to unlocking smart contracts (See Mark Cuban tweet below) which can be the next major catalyst in the blockchain space.

Next Up for Chainlink in 2022: LINK Staking and ‘Internet of Blockchains’ - Decrypt

Cross-Chain Interoperability Protocol (CCIP) | Chainlink

Chainlink Hybrid Smart Contracts

MarkCuban.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you have Link, you're early in my opinion. Utility tokens aren't sexy, but Link secures over 60 billion dollars worth of value via all the services they provide without a single loss since implementation. Staking (super linear) and CCIP are suppose to be released in 2022. I've accumulated since .80 cents and have been dca-ing ever since. Chainlink is the key to unlocking smart contracts (See Mark Cuban tweet below) which can be the next major catalyst in the blockchain space.

Next Up for Chainlink in 2022: LINK Staking and ‘Internet of Blockchains’ - Decrypt

Cross-Chain Interoperability Protocol (CCIP) | Chainlink

Chainlink Hybrid Smart Contracts

View attachment 76316

What Cuban is saying about improving business productivity is why I love HBAR and QNT. Huge upside and both geared toward enterprise applications.

And yes, Chainlink has their hand in every pot, so agree it’s not sexy but it seems relatively safe.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m convinced half of you are running a pump and dump for $LINK.
What Cuban is saying about improving business productivity is why I love HBAR and QNT. Huge upside and both geared toward enterprise applications.

And yes, Chainlink has their hand in every pot, so agree it’s not sexy but it seems relatively safe.
I recognize it as a long, long, long play and a gamble.

Futures were up across major indexes until the CPI news came out. Now down again. I know there's a lot of reaction to treasury yield, but that all comes back to inflation, and a whole lot of inflation is energy costs, because they affect everything else. Transport, plastics, everything. China's lockdown is also a massive supply chain problem. I'm still waiting for some leadership on these issues. We need more domestic supply, we have to switch home heating oil over to NG ASAP, and we have to incentivize US based companies to either build manufacturing in this hemisphere or start up new competition to Flextronics and Foxconn, preferably someplace like Panama.

Reaction Score
LOL! I know about money printing. That doesn't mean everyone is over leveraged, Again, got any evidence?

Wage growth has risen steadily since the mid 90's save for '08 and '20 ( I assume, haven't looked at it recently) and should be very strong the last ~18 months. I have no idea what "value-aided taxation" is. If you mean value "added" our country doesn't collect taxes in that manner. There was virtually no inflation for 10+ years until a global pandemic came along and screwed up the whole world. The value of the dollar is only relevant when measured against other currencies. Repo agreements are how banks and the Fed meet short term liquidity requirements and needs. None of this points to everyone being over leveraged.

Reaction Score
I've gone and done it, bought a whole lot of ZS at 138s. I'm putting it away and not looking back.

That being said--I feel bad for anyone that bought LUNA cryptocurrency. $119 a month ago, hit 85 cents today. Yikes.

Kicking myself for moving quickly out of my short of TDOC a few months ago at $150. Now at $30.

Reaction Score
I've gone and done it, bought a whole lot of ZS at 138s. I'm putting it away and not looking back.

ZS = software company Zscaler? May I ask why you think it has long term upside?

Reaction Score
ZS = software company Zscaler? May I ask why you think it has long term upside?
From all my research it's the best of the cloud cyber security firms w/ the most adaptable software and the best partners (other software service providers with more niche products). They are growing rapidly. $1 billion + in sales. Huge cash reserves. Relatively little debt.

The problem is that this is a very aggressive company that is rapidly building out and they are showing absolutely no aversion to spending to get to where they want to go. If they ever fall short of revenue projections, this is a very risky stock because they are not profitable. It's a classic growth stock in a category with a future, and they are the leader in that category.

4 or 5 months ago people were looking at 500 for this stock. Everything has now changed obviously in the stock market.

Whenever we go back to a bull market, this stock is a triple from here if it continues to execute.

Reaction Score
Awfully quiet here... :(

Can someone... anyone... give me a beam of hope for LINK. Is it buying season?
just bought a small feeler position ($200) at the 6.70 area. i like LINK ALOTTT. lots of potential upside if all their hype and boasts of integration are legit and come to fruition. CEO Nazarov seen at World Economic Forum talks etc lends some potential inside Credit too.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Depending on your time horizon, it may be buying season for everything.

Somebody else needs to explain all of this, because I can't. My own hypothetical is that things are tanking because the odds of it just blowing up into a great depression level spiral are as high as they've been. Government is politically incapable doing what it needs to do to solve it, which would include incentivizing as much oil and gas production as possible just to stabilize things.

My albatross is UPST. The only pay site I've bought into is fool.com ($99). For over a year they've hyped upstart. Buy, buy, buy ... for over a year, including after the 50% hit a few days ago.

Now, a few days later, it's ... maybe you shouldn't buy. Hold at best.

They're spam has advertised 6x S&P returns. My guess is this was mostly based on Netflix alone. They're now down to 2x S&P. I wonder at what point they'll stop referring returns vs S&P?

I've decided to hold all stocks, and buy VOO, QQQ, and a couple other index funds until the smoke clears.

Reaction Score
My albatross is UPST. The only pay site I've bought into is fool.com ($99). For over a year they've hyped upstart. Buy, buy, buy ... for over a year, including after the 50% hit a few days ago.

They're spam has advertised 6x S&P returns. My guess is this was mostly based on Netflix alone. They're now down to 2x S&P. I wonder at what point they'll stop referring returns vs S&P?

I've decided to hold all stocks, and buy VOO, QQQ, and a couple other index funds until the smoke clears.

Now is definitely the time to go all-in on the index funds IMO. Too volatile for my tastes, and my time horizon is decades so I'm not too concerned.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

That's what I am doing. Just riding it out. I already cut anything I didn't have confidence in, long term. This week I bought three stocks. COIN (beaten down way too much, up 14% today), MSFT (an absolute rock solid company with a great future. Azure is gaining on AWS), INTEL (Gelsinger is fixing what was wrong and they are expanding capacity dramatically). In the case of Intel, can anybody consider a future where demand for semiconductors declines in the next 30 years or so? I can't.

ESPO might also be a bargain, but their Tencent holding is a concern. GOOG is cheap right now, bought some late last week.

Reaction Score
just bought a small feeler position ($200) at the 6.70 area. i like LINK ALOTTT. lots of potential upside if all their hype and boasts of integration are legit and come to fruition. CEO Nazarov seen at World Economic Forum talks etc lends some potential inside Credit too.
You’re not wrong.

Reaction Score
I'm doing what I've been doing for 20 years and I know I'll be fine. Yes it's boring, but boring works and doesn't keep me up at night.

1. Stay away from crypto

2. Stay away from individual stocks

3. Invest in historically good mutual funds that have averaged over 10% for the life of the fund

4. Dollar cost averaging

I've averaged a 13% annual return since 2002. Not sexy but gonna help me retire early.

Reaction Score
I'm doing what I've been doing for 20 years and I know I'll be fine. Yes it's boring, but boring works and doesn't keep me up at night.

1. Stay away from crypto

3. Invest in historically good mutual funds that have averaged over 10% for the life of the fund

4. Dollar cost averaging

I've averaged a 13% annual return since 2002. Not sexy but gonna help me retire early.

You sound like a guy with a Boglehead philosophy of investing. Just make sure you're choosing options with lower expense ratios and you'll be fine for retirement.

Reaction Score

1. Stay away from crypto

4. Dollar cost averaging

Lots of wisdom in that post and average annual return is outstanding!

Big difference between long-term investment strategy and “trading”.

I’m heavily invested (relative to my wealth) in BRK which I view as a closed end hedge fund with very low expense ratio. Long-term play for me.

Reaction Score
Amid all the calls for a much bigger drop for the S&P to 30% down, people don't seem to take into account the huge amounts of money that exist around the world in savings among very wealthy folks. No matter if we're talking about a recession or inflationary environment, that money has been searching for a place to land, and there is no better place than stocks.

We saw people buying NFTs for heaven's sake!!!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Amid all the calls for a much bigger drop for the S&P to 30% down, people don't seem to take into account the huge amounts of money that exist around the world in savings among very wealthy folks. No matter if we're talking about a recession or inflationary environment, that money has been searching for a place to land, and there is no better place than stocks.

Like I said the other day. I think there's a risk of panic. Of absolute catastrophe. There are a few things that could mitigate the issues, and policymakers insist on doing the opposite or ignoring reality. So at the moment, we are seeing money flee a market that is already down plenty, perhaps in fear of the doomsday scenario. As soon as there are indications of stability, that the worst isn't coming (depression era event) it will flood back in.

Reaction Score

Those people will continue to keep their money on the sidelines until they feel that it's time to go in.

Reaction Score
Those people will continue to keep their money on the sidelines until they feel that it's time to go in.
Right.

I'm just saying it will come in BEFORE the market is fairly priced to account for the down quarter coming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom