OT: Stock trading | Page 184 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
One of my financial newsletters mentioned them a while back. Seems like a good stock to add in a different sector.
But dear lord do I hate k-1s
In addition to PITA tax-reporting, SBSW has the added risks of a South African-domiciled corporation, RSA miners/political risks, AND its' NAV oft spikes up/down markedly more than the values of its underlying precious metals and industrial metals. Doesn't rule out the possibility, just facts to reasonably consider.

Reaction Score
Well where the hell do you put your money than? I’m not holding cash or bonds every week my food and energy costs are going up. Commodities? Crypto? Equities is a relatively safe play right now imo.
@UcannUconn Commingling regular budget (food, energy, etc) vs MT/LT investment allocations? Noting inflation-projections rising a year+ ago and inflation baked-in to varying degrees by institutional managers, a bigger challenge reacting now. Tossing out some considerations ...

Crypto: Which one? Type? Pending US govt policy announcements? LINK appears to dip to $14-15, then rise again. Repeat cycle, T. B. D. DAPP for LT?

Commodities: Which type? Big differences, e.g., potentially less precious metal upside vs industrial metals, e.g., alt/EV energy copper, lithium, etc dependencies, infrastructure requirements (steel), etc. Today, added some FCX and CLF and took bit of gold miner/gold ETF profits just now. Not selling MP lithium miner/soon processor. If Russia invades Ukraine for the 3rd time since 2013, may take some ridiculous oil profits on LT shares bought year+ ago.

Ag/Fertilizers? Food's not going out of style. Growing S & E Asian middle class populations with changing diets depend on imports, increased fertilizer use, and ag tech/equipment. Russia once again invading Europe's largest country (area solely in Europe) and bread basket? ADM? MOS? CAT? DE?

Fixed Income: Floating Rate Bond ETFs (FLOT?) and Senior Bank Loan ETFs may have already baked in some inflation, but 5, 6, 7, more Fed increases? When Russia invade Ukraine again, will the Fed delay or lower projected rate increases? Who knows. Emerging Market bond ETFs hit hard YTD & last 12 months: 1 year from now mayyyyyy look good as many EM Central Banks already increased rates (Not including mainland China now lowering rates now).

Equities: Plenty of cash-rich companies exist, sound dividend payers (BNS & other Canadian banks, BLX, etc), hard hit quality new energy, tech, biotech, and also US small cap, even if the US enters a recession DCAing makes sense for LT investors. Same same with JP and Europe small cap. XITK, down like ARKK YTD minus negative Cathie Wood lead ball.

Just spitting out Thursday thoughts ...

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just kind of watching all this. I have trimmed whatever marginal stuff I had. What's left are things I feel good about long term. I could sell, and buy back, but there's so much risk in trying to time that. Sell Apple and buy it back cheaper? Sure, if I know when to sell and buy. Instead I'll just hold it.

Reaction Score
Just kind of watching all this. I have trimmed whatever marginal stuff I had. What's left are things I feel good about long term. I could sell, and buy back, but there's so much risk in trying to time that. Sell Apple and buy it back cheaper? Sure, if I know when to sell and buy. Instead I'll just hold it.
If you have a long term horizon then that's always the answer. Invest in good companies and deal with the dips and spikes of the market.

Reaction Score
If you have a long term horizon then that's always the answer. Invest in good companies and deal with the dips and spikes of the market.
^ This, yet taking some massive LT profits can make some sense over time, particularly when the most reactionary retail buyers jump into what some view as the newest most important asset(s). For example, belated recent commodity buyers vs diversifying adds when inflationary pressures were fairly apparent a year+ ago.

Vice versa, recently added to some harder hit IT, finls, and green tech LT holds, COIN, DAPP, even SENS. A la Wayne Gretzky, skating where I believe/expect the puck will be a year+ from now.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
^ This, yet taking some massive LT profits can make some sense over time, particularly when the most reactionary retail buyers jump into what some view as the newest most important asset(s). For example, belated recent commodity buyers vs diversifying adds when inflationary pressures were fairly apparent a year+ ago.

Vice versa, recently added to some harder hit IT, finls, and green tech LT holds, COIN, DAPP, even SENS. A la Wayne Gretzky, skating where I believe/expect the puck will be a year+ from now.

Yeah I’ve been debating taking profits on bce and mo

Reaction Score
Picked up some SCO the other day. 3x leveraged short on oil.
Dipped to 4.88 when oil was its highest. Venezuela talks spiked it to like 6.85. I know time decay and all that, but won’t get gigged like last time selling my SQQQ for like 7 for tax loss while it spiked to like 47 last month.

Reaction Score
Started buying 23andMe, ME, hit it's high of $16 in the summer, buying a lot, it's cheap at about $4. They purchased a pharmacy and health care unit.

Genetics will play a role in how your care is provided in the future. I'm guessing that as they make progress with new therapies, they might get acquired by larger health care companies, just my hunch.

I'm hoping in and out of 3x inverse etf's. Kind of strange, I'm in a 3x bull defense companies etf, and if there is a tally that last a couple of days, I'll jump into a russell or s&p 500 3x bear and just cashout before the market bell rings. Weird market

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is off season again. I considered putting this in "Stock Trading" but thought it warranted a new thread. I would be interested in what people think about.

1. Best overall crypto exchanges in USA
2. Best soft wallets (off exchange)
3. Best custodial hard wallets
4. $ thresholds for moving to #3
5. Do you stake? How does that work? Is there risk? Not sure I get how this works.

I'm watching a CLE on Crypto now. Not much I didn't know which makes me feel better. While watching I moved some BTC and ETH to my Trezor One. Trezor Suite is a huge upgrade over the website Trezor had in 2020 when I first got it. But I wonder if it worth upgrading.

I mostly use Coinbase, but have Kraken as well (Ocean) and Binnance.us (nothing) as exchanges. I have a soft wallet from Coinbase as well, since that provided convenience. But have no idea if it's good or sub-par.

Reaction Score
It is off season again. I considered putting this in "Stock Trading" but thought it warranted a new thread. I would be interested in what people think about.

1. Best overall crypto exchanges in USA
2. Best soft wallets (off exchange)
3. Best custodial hard wallets
4. $ thresholds for moving to #3
5. Do you stake? How does that work? Is there risk? Not sure I get how this works.

I'm watching a CLE on Crypto now. Not much I didn't know which makes me feel better. While watching I moved some BTC and ETH to my Trezor One. Trezor Suite is a huge upgrade over the website Trezor had in 2020 when I first got it. But I wonder if it worth upgrading.

I mostly use Coinbase, but have Kraken as well (Ocean) and Binnance.us (nothing) as exchanges. I have a soft wallet from Coinbase as well, since that provided convenience. But have no idea if it's good or sub-par.
This Sunday's NYT Biz Section had a Crypto 101 section if interested and/ or can retrieve

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It's dumb and terrible for the environment. invest in something else.
It’s clearly been propped up by oligarchs and criminals moving and hiding money. Sounds like a great investment :/.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It's dumb and terrible for the environment. invest in something else.

It’s clearly been propped up by oligarchs and criminals moving and hiding money. Sounds like a great investment :/.

These are LOL funny takes. The way people laugh at crypto but then happily invest in S&P/DOW companies which I'm sure are excellent for the environment and no criminal activities happen.

To the OP I use FTX & Voyager and try to avoid Coinbase cause their fees are insane. I don't use any type of cold storage because I don't really care since I rather stake or swap

Reaction Score
Baba is finally paying me back for my continued losses in them over the past 2 years.

Bought some $115 calls expiring 9/16 when the stock was at a joke of a price of $81. Up over 200% and I think it’s going to go higher. They have earnings coming out in may and the Chinese government is finally seeing how important it is to back them. They are a larger company than Amazon and make more money than Amazon and their web services part of the business isn’t even factored into the Alibaba stock price.

Their web services part of the business is the bread and butter. The Chinese are never going to allow Amazon or a non Chinese company to own the web services sector in China which is the largest in the world. Baba should continue to rise throughout the year, imo

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
These are LOL funny takes. The way people laugh at crypto but then happily invest in S&P/DOW companies which I'm sure are excellent for the environment and no criminal activities happen.

To the OP I use FTX & Voyager and try to avoid Coinbase cause their fees are insane. I don't use any type of cold storage because I don't really care since I rather stake or swap
The difference with companies on the DOW/S&P is that they (checks notes) make something. Crypto solves a problem no legitimate person has. And they will soon be heavily regulated.

Reaction Score

I agree w/. your point on Coinbase, but recently signed up for their monthly subscription. I $ average and have multiple monthly reoccurring buys so this easily outweighs the normal fee structure. So far it has been a win, but FTX is solid.

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard of the coming Ethereum triple halving? Once the next upgrade happens, Eth is supposed to go parabolic, so they say.

Web 3.0 will change the dynamics of everything. It will be interesting to see

Reaction Score
Baba is finally paying me back for my continued losses in them over the past 2 years.

Bought some $115 calls expiring 9/16 when the stock was at a joke of a price of $81. Up over 200% and I think it’s going to go higher. They have earnings coming out in may and the Chinese government is finally seeing how important it is to back them. They are a larger company than Amazon and make more money than Amazon and their web services part of the business isn’t even factored into the Alibaba stock price.

Their web services part of the business is the bread and butter. The Chinese are never going to allow Amazon or a non Chinese company to own the web services sector in China which is the largest in the world. Baba should continue to rise throughout the year, imo
I hope you're right. My Alibaba holdings are way in the red. I've thought about just bailing but then the upside is way more than the downside at this point so I'll hold on and see what happens.

Reaction Score

In US accounts, sold most highest-cost NYSE-listed BABA shares near all time highs (3Q20-2Q21 (and also sold most other LT mainland shares/ADRs or will as some LT holdings now red ideally turn green). In HK accounts, gradually added Hong Kong-listed 9988.HK Alibaba shares on dips 3Q-4Q21, more this quarter and loaded this month.

Underlying Alibaba upside is attractive. However, just less keen on NYSE shares (and other mainland Nasdaq and OTC ADRs) exposed to 1. US reg risks, 2. direct CCP-corporate board influences/controls, 3. central govt regulatory whiplashes, 4. now delayed yet ongoing potential for eventual TW invasion, 5. etc to evolve.

With my spouse currently back visiting family, reading between the lines of her oft times sunny not a cloud in the sky anecdotes stuff is not all so great now. That said, typical doom and gloom, all is bad media portrayals on both ends of the US/west spectrum oft miss the boat. Even in the Middle Kingdom (literal translation of Zhongguo/China), a middle ground exists.

Enjoy the ride. IMHO, if willing to buy calls they may be more enticing than US shares' risks/rewards. Good luck.

Tangent: been researching ex-mainland EM ETFs after EMs have been slayed the last year. Gradually, I may add some EMXC or XCEM to hold LT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom