OT: Stock trading | Page 87 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
Yes. Absolutely but not bc of a Reddit group. Since 2000 the market and economy is controlled by The Fed
I don't know about that, never bought the 'perfect information' theory of stock pricing, but I do think the market mostly determines and facts right now are tons of capital 'looking' & stock market is the best place to find good yield.

That said with bulk of my retirement money I've been conservative over past 2yrs, before Covid. I think there are lots of rocks to look under & the fact that the market prospers while life is unrecognizable is a big disconnect for me. I get AMZN & other 'winners' in tech, bioscience etc during this time - but overall for the market to continue to be up does not follow.
So with short-term money I want to be in the market and make some bets, while close to half of total savings is in stable investments. Downside of that was 8% return on 401k in 2020 & possibly stuck wanting to be 'right' + unenviable almost no win position of timing a market re-entry.

Reaction Score
Sorry to derail the conversation on gamestop and AMC. What mutual funds do you see with the most upside for someone just starting out.

Reaction Score
Can someone with knowledge of how this all works, explain to me like I'm 5, what is going on with Gamestop?

Reaction Score
Can someone with knowledge of how this all works, explain to me like I'm 5, what is going on with Gamestop?
Hedge fund guys bought shorts, basically betting on GameStop to go bankrupt and they'd be able to buy the stock for pennies. Instead people on Reddit started buying the stocks driving the price up so the hedge funds would be forced to buy at much higher costs than they hoped

Reaction Score
Hedge fund guys bought shorts, basically betting on GameStop to go bankrupt and they'd be able to buy the stock for pennies. Instead people on Reddit started buying the stocks driving the price up so the hedge funds would be forced to buy at much higher costs than they hoped
And to add on, when the shorts start to exit their position they need to buy the stock which helps fuel the rocket upwards lol

One guy on wallstreetbets started with 50k in $GME calls a year ago, he's now sitting on over $25million. Bananaland

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the only definition for the alchemy known as 'economics,' ie 'supply, demand, fear, greed.'
a short squeeze, ie folks needing (demand) stock to fill a trading position, and they all show up at the store at the same to buy, creating a supply shortfall, therefore price rise. think toilet paper insanity of last spring. toss in an educated guess on the fear and greed component for the future price of the thing ('gotta get the Tyler Phommachanh now, cuz next week it'll be triple the price....i think') and there u have it. underneath this specific event, methinks many traders thought that the bricks and mortar component of gamestop would eventually crush the stock, hence the shortsellers.
i don't know that answer, and i don't care. signed 'not a video game playa,' which, by the way, is kinda how large parts of the market today look to me.
'Yo pretty ladies around the world
Got a weird thing to show you,
So tell all the boys and girls.
Tell your brother, your sister
And your mama too, cause they're
About to go down
And you'll know just what to do
'
word up.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And to add on, when the shorts start to exit their position they need to buy the stock which helps fuel the rocket upwards lol

One guy on wallstreetbets started with 50k in $GME calls a year ago, he's now sitting on over $25million. Bananaland

If anybody has every watched Trading Places, it's the same concept.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For the first time in the past 5+/- years I am concerned about the next 12 months in the stock market. Even after the March 2020 COVID drop I was confident that the market would spring back. I am fearing a prolonged downward/ sideward spiral is developing.

My question is whether anyone else reading this post is feeling apprehension about the stock market, and if so, what you are doing to defend your positions.

Thanks.

I am caught between the obvious reality that this shouldn't be able to continue, and the risk of missing out on continued gains. I am tempted to take profits now, but I'm already sitting on a lot of cash and honestly have no place to put any additional cash. My money market yield is .26%. Yet most stocks are clearly overvalued.

I feel like that has been what fuels this and continues to fuel this. The Fed needs to raise rates, as things as wildly overstimulated right now, and the normal avenues of investment in new businesses are all shut down by Covid restrictions. Cash positions are massive right now. As I said the other day, we are sitting in a 454 Chevelle SS, foot to the floor, and the brake pedal to the floor. It's a giant smokeshow that accomplishes nothing but burning federal money.

I find myself tempted to cash out and buy a second house or something.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Take your profits on these stocks by the end of the week - no way the SEC let’s this happen for much longer.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the only definition for the alchemy known as 'economics,' ie 'supply, demand, fear, greed.'
a short squeeze, ie folks needing (demand) stock to fill a trading position, and they all show up at the store at the same to buy, creating a supply shortfall, therefore price rise. think toilet paper insanity of last spring. toss in an educated guess on the fear and greed component for the future price of the thing ('gotta get the Tyler Phommachanh now, cuz next week it'll be triple the price....i think') and there u have it. underneath this specific event, methinks many traders thought that the bricks and mortar component of gamestop would eventually crush the stock, hence the shortsellers.
i don't know that answer, and i don't care. signed 'not a video game playa,' which, by the way, is kinda how large parts of the market today look to me.
'Yo pretty ladies around the world
Got a weird thing to show you,
So tell all the boys and girls.
Tell your brother, your sister
And your mama too, cause they're
About to go down
And you'll know just what to do
'
word up.

someone mentioned 'trading places.'
'Okay, pork belly prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody is waiting for it to hit rock bottom, so they can buy low. Which means that the people who own the pork belly contracts are saying, "Hey, we're losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung- grip! And my wife ain't gonna f... my wife ain't gonna make love to me if I got no money!" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now, I can feel it.!'
fear, greed. we already covered 'supply, demand.'

Reaction Score
are BB and NOK part of this social media bubble? or are they true long term holds?

(edited grammar)

Reaction Score
hey if hedge funds can short businesses and influence markets, crushing companies and jobs, we can hold them accountable as the dbags they are

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom