OT: Steve Smith | The Boneyard

OT: Steve Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I said this a couple weeks back. Guys like Raftery, Vitale, Endberg and a bunch of others need to retire. I want to see some new blood. I've been watching the same dudes in all the big games my entire life. I've had enough of all of them...even guys like Raftery (who I like...who everyone likes)

I will also add, many of the guys I'm talking about are into their 70s and/or well into their 70s. There are very few corporations that tolerate 70+ employees. One way or the other, they get you off the payroll. This doesn't appear to be the case in broadcasting (and politics)

Also, Steve was very good

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I said this a couple weeks back. Guys like Raftery, Vitale, Endberg and a bunch of others need to retire. I want to see some new blood. I've been watching the same dudes in all the big games my entire life. I've had enough of all of them...even guys like Raftery (who I like...who everyone likes)

Raf is a legend. Especially around tournament time. It's not March until I get a "Man ta Man!" or "Onions!" call. You probably would have fired Vin Scully Harry Caray too!!

The rest can get stuffed vis a vis college basketball though. And you forgot Digger.

Reaction Score
Raf is a legend. Especially around tournament time. It's not March until I get a "Man ta Man!" or "Onions!" call. You probably would have fired Vin Scully Harry Caray too!!

The rest can get stuffed vis a vis college basketball though. And you forgot Digger.

I may not have fired Harry Caray, but you are mostly right. I would not let go of someone with such a personal relationship with a fan base.

Reaction Score
Massive upgrade over the likes of Pete Gillen and Steve Lappas, I know he has his NBATV obligations but he needs to call more games.
Yep, he was great and I loved his assessment of Dham's game which he was similar in size when he played.

Reaction Score

One of the best things about our 2014 tourney run was getting Verne and Raf for the first 4 games.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I will also add, many of the guys I'm talking about are into their 70s and/or well into their 70s. There are very few corporations that tolerate 70+ employees. One way or the other, they get you off the payroll. This doesn't appear to be the case in broadcasting (and politics)

Ndakota - are you an advocate of getting rid of someone based on age?
I don't see where Raff being over 70 has anything with his ability - I listen to him broadcasting the NBE and I would take him over Steve Smith any day.
Vitale should have been relegated to ACC only broadcast A long time ago
Endberg does so little now he is out of mind
Brent Musberger, while annoying, still has his facilities until he teams up with Bobby Knight and that becomes a head shaker in stereo

I don't care what the age is - if you can do it keep doing it

Reaction Score

Ndakota - are you an advocate of getting rid of someone based on age?
I don't see where Raff being over 70 has anything with his ability - I listen to him broadcasting the NBE and I would take him over Steve Smith any day.
Vitale should have been relegated to ACC only broadcast A long time ago
Endberg does so little now he is out of mind
Brent Musberger, while annoying, still has his facilities until he teams up with Bobby Knight and that becomes a head shaker in stereo

I don't care what the age is - if you can do it keep doing it

I'm not really an advocate of getting rid of someone because of age. It's usually not an issue in the real world. Most are very much ready to retire by 65. Certainly by 70. I am saying, if I was in charge of the network, I would not resign Vitale, Raf, etc.. Lucky for you guys, I'm not in charge.

Reaction Score
I realized listening to Steve Smith that he is DHam's NBA comp. It was never going to happen but I was almost expecting him to say "he reminds me of me."

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Massive upgrade over the likes of Pete Gillen and Steve Lappas, I know he has his NBATV obligations but he needs to call more games.
I agree. Who was the other guy? McCarthy? It actually sounded like a professional broadcast for cs.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

Also, Steve was very good
I agree on the Raff. He was fine years ago. But the same thing over and over. Lingerie on the court. Always with that raspy voice. Next time you catch him doing a game, look at him when the camera is on. His eyes look like he did a bag of weed before the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom