OT: Speaking of Kentucky - | The Boneyard

OT: Speaking of Kentucky -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A very big filly stakes race in running today. Actually all sorts of races in a 5-6 hour program on NBCSHD-DTV 220. Day starts in about 20 minutes. A daughter of Rachel Alexander, who won the Preakness in 2009 is in the Oaks.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
It is a stunningly beautiful day here for the fillies to run! Unfortunately, I am watching it go by as I plug away at my office computer.
Tomorrow, the Kentucky Derby, is forecast for beautiful yet a bit warmer (high 80's). It's a beautiful time in my fare city. If you have never been to Louisville for the Kentucky Derby Festival ( 2 weeks long of parties and celebrations) I highly recommend it make your bucket list!

A very big filly stakes race in running today. Actually all sorts of races in a 5-6 hour program on NBCSHD-DTV 220. Day starts in about 20 minutes. A daughter of Rachel Alexander, who won the Preakness in 2009 is in the Oaks.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
It is a stunningly beautiful day here for the fillies to run! Unfortunately, I am watching it go by as I plug away at my office computer.
Tomorrow, the Kentucky Derby, is forecast for beautiful yet a bit warmer (high 80's). It's a beautiful time in my fare city. If you have never been to Louisville for the Kentucky Derby Festival ( 2 weeks long of parties and celebrations) I highly recommend it make your bucket list!

Grew up in the 'Ville, still have family down there. Been to the Derby 3 times, but, alas, the last time was 1977, I think.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Only Triple Crown race I saw was Belmont in, IIRC, '77. Someone won the triple crown, I can't say I really follow racing.

BUT - Lexington with its horse farms was really nice, and Louisville was a happening city when I visited while working. Even Covington?? (the town across the river from Cincy) had charm.

Things did move at a slower pace than I was used to, however.

Reaction Score
Here's a "sports story" for you. Was chomped on the forearm by retired Citation.

The father of one of my roommates was football coach and dean at UK. On a visit down there, he took me to see Calumet Farms. Citation, at stud, galloped over to meet us at a fence, apparently looking for a treat. I had my arm on the rail, but no treat. He seemed to be disappointed by that.

(On that visit, the coach also served me my first julep in a frosted silver mug. Memorable.:) No silver mug here, but expect to replicate the rest of that julep experience tomorrow, and probably have a tear slide down my cheek while we're singing "My Old Kentucky Home. Relish your day.)

Reaction Score
Only Triple Crown race I saw was Belmont in, IIRC, '77. Someone won the triple crown, I can't say I really follow racing.

BUT - Lexington with its horse farms was really nice, and Louisville was a happening city when I visited while working. Even Covington?? (the town across the river from Cincy) had charm.

Things did move at a slower pace than I was used to, however.
That's because the horses were raised in the Southern Culture of being polite, and deferring to others--so if a horse wants to pass --he has to get permission, and say yes mam or no mam, it slow down everything. Ever heard one of those horse neig ----it's n e i g, ya'all.
I love the Cinci --Lullyville area----my Yankee, Connecticut, speed speak caused me trouble --but the food and the nice people warmed me inside and out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom