OT sort of..What were they thinking? | The Boneyard

OT sort of..What were they thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Espys giving Arthur Ashe Courage Award to Caitlyn Jenner over Lauren Hill and Noah Galloway. Whether they were runner ups or just in the competition, what were they thinking?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Bruce Jenner has commercially exploited to the max his transformation into "Caitlyn" in a way that puts the whole rest of the Kardashian debased culture clan to shame! So why not give him an award ... courage, not so much. I wonder how much Caitlyn will command for the "final" surgery? Please. The world has lost privacy and dignity and Caitlyn is just one more example of that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If Caitlyn and Vanity Fair had "courage" as opposed to commercial exploitation at an absurd level, they'd shot the cover in HiDef Reality as opposed to whatever that farce cover is ... Photoshop and 25 pounds of plaster?? The Award is a joke.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
For me, it is the publicity around Caitlin - as noted by RockyMt above - that disturbs me. In some ways, does she "qualify" for the award - yes, I just read an article giving the reasons. But - she comes off primarily as self-promoting. It is that whole reality TV, Kardashian aura that makes her seem undeserving.

I get that ESPN just "decided" to give the award to Caitlin, as opposed to having a list of candidates and carefully considering each one. That said, I just find it impossible to see that she is "more" deserving than Lauren Hill. Or Galloway.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Somehow I don't think Arthur Ashe would approve.

You don't think he would approve of someone changing the way people think about a marginalized group of Americans?

You are seriously underestimating the man.

Wally East

Reaction Score
If Caitlyn and Vanity Fair had "courage" as opposed to commercial exploitation at an absurd level, they'd shot the cover in HiDef Reality as opposed to whatever that farce cover is ... Photoshop and 25 pounds of plaster??

As opposed to how every other woman is shot for magazine covers?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For me, it is the publicity around Caitlin - as noted by RockyMt above - that disturbs me. In some ways, does she "qualify" for the award - yes, I just read an article giving the reasons. But - she comes off primarily as self-promoting. It is that whole reality TV, Kardashian aura that makes her seem undeserving.

I get that ESPN just "decided" to give the award to Caitlin, as opposed to having a list of candidates and carefully considering each one. That said, I just find it impossible to see that she is "more" deserving than Lauren Hill. Or Galloway.

Or ___________________, or ____________________ or ________________________ etc etc.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
You don't think he would approve of someone changing the way people think about a marginalized group of Americans?

You are seriously underestimating the man.

I do think he would approve of that. Do I think he would approve of of transgender person being used by a commercial entity for its own profit making motives. No.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As opposed to how every other woman is shot for magazine covers?

If she was shot like every other women she's have a lot less fabric draping her body and she would not look like a plastic manikin so totally divorced from reality. Even Jane Fonda has standards that would not allow this kind of illusion absent total exploitation/ reality TV crap.

Reaction Score
I do think he would approve of that. Do I think he would approve of of transgender person being used by a commercial entity for its own profit making motives. No.

How is that any different from using the memory of a deceased young lady "for its own profit making motives"?

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
How is that any different from using the memory of a deceased young lady "for its own profit making motives"?

She fought cancer for a long time and was honored by many not for profit organizations. She also didn't use the press for her own purposes. Lastly, she wasn't a Kardashian.

Reaction Score
She fought cancer for a long time and was honored by many not for profit organizations. She also didn't use the press for her own purposes. Lastly, she wasn't a Kardashian.

Sorry but you were talking about ESPN using people "for its own profit making motives", not the motivations of the people themselves.

And do you honestly believe that Ms Jenner underwent this primarily to garner attention in the press? If so, then you must also believe that those who come out as gay are also only interested in the publicity? Or that people who publically announce they have contracted an illness are only interested in publicity for themselves? Obviously not, as you commend Ms. Jenner for drawing attention to her illness and also commend ESPN for publicizing it, even though it was "for its own profit making motives".

I have known and still know several transgendered people. In every case they have seen their personal and professional lives destroyed by announcing their orientation. In addition they have been subjected to ridicule and to physical violence, only to have their motivation reduced (by idiots like Mike Huckabee) to some perverted desire to "shower with girls".

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Sorry but you were talking about ESPN using people "for its own profit making motives", not the motivations of the people themselves.

And do you honestly believe that Ms Jenner underwent this primarily to garner attention in the press? If so, then you must also believe that those who come out as gay are also only interested in the publicity? Or that people who publically announce they have contracted an illness are only interested in publicity for themselves? Obviously not, as you commend Ms. Jenner for drawing attention to her illness and also commend ESPN for publicizing it, even though it was "for its own profit making motives".

I have known and still know several transgendered people. In every case they have seen their personal and professional lives destroyed by announcing their orientation. In addition they have been subjected to ridicule and to physical violence, only to have their motivation reduced (by idiots like Mike Huckabee) to some perverted desire to "shower with girls".

I didn't say any of those things. But obviously they are in your mind.

Reaction Score
I didn't say any of those things. But obviously they are in your mind.

Nor did I say you did say any of those things.

Here's your post:
I do think he [Arthur Ashe]would approve of that . Do I think he would approve of of transgender person being used by a commercial entity for its own profit making motives. No.

I ask you in return, would he approve of a commercial entity using a terminal cancer patient for its own profit making motives? It works both ways. You spin these two situations differently when in fact ESPN publicised them both for profit and to promote a cause. ESPN gave Jenner no more attention than they gave to Hill.

It seems to me that a large segment of the population still views the transgendered as people who belong in a carnival sideshow with the freaks. Of the entire LGBT community, they are still the only ones to whom it's OK to mock, marginalize and discriminate against by the general public.

And if you doubt that, go to the internet articles about Jenner that have comments posted and read the vile things that are posted.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
It seems to me that a large segment of the population still views the transgendered as people who belong in a carnival sideshow with the freaks. Of the entire LGBT community, they are still the only ones to whom it's OK to mock, marginalize and discriminate against by the general public.

Again those concepts live in your mind...not in mine nor any of the others posting here.

Reaction Score
Dennis Rodman: Former NBA Player Says He Would Go on a Date With Caitlyn Jenner
"Bruce, knock yourself out brother. If you want to go on a date with me, let me know," Rodman told TMZ Hollywood Sports Monday following the release of Jenner's Vanity Fair cover photo.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Dennis Rodman: Former NBA Player Says He Would Go on a Date With Caitlyn Jenner
"Bruce, knock yourself out brother. If you want to go on a date with me, let me know," Rodman told TMZ Hollywood Sports Monday following the release of Jenner's Vanity Fair cover photo.

Well if a fine upstanding man like Dennis would take Ms Jenner out on a date, who am I to question anyone's motives?

Wally East

Reaction Score
If she was shot like every other women she's have a lot less fabric draping her body and she would not look like a plastic manikin so totally divorced from reality.

So, here's a link to Vanity Fair covers. The Caitlyn Jenner cover looks entirely like the rest of them. That was actually part of the point of the cover.

Reaction Score
Well if a fine upstanding man like Dennis would take Ms Jenner out on a date, who am I to question anyone's motives?
I think Dennis should ask Chris Kardashian's permission to date Ms. Jenner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom