OT: Sopranos Prequel | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Sopranos Prequel

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Or the Jedi...

Don't believe me?...They are always looking to score a quick win with the first blow.
"A man confronts you, he is the enemy..."

Confrontation does not always begin with a punch.

Reaction Score
Its a concept, make your protagonist a bad guy and it adds layers to the entertainment.
I think this is certainly more interesting than a good guy with no flaws, or geek that gets the girl. TV & movies were largely this way for awhile and rightfully moved away from it.
Its a study of the human condition, its sometimes more interesting if you do not identify with characters or their plight.

Mare of Eastown was just about a perfect example of the next evolution. Kate Winslett's Mare was a flawed character but in human ways, she makes mistakes, is awkward and normal looking. She does at least one very bad thing but not out of malice or evil, just succumbs to putting her own interests above others, something we all do at times.

Reaction Score
If you are trying to say that viewers weren't rooting for Tony, you're nuts. I was rooting for Tony.
So...you didn't answer the question. Is Macbeth off limits for you? Richard III? Dr. Faustus? The Odyssey? Crime and Punishment? Anna Karenina? Dorian Gray?

Is it all 18th and 19th century sentimental novels and film/miniseries adaptations for you?

Or is your argument not just that you found yourself rooting for Tony, but you were supposed to? Because the argument that a book, movie, or show necessarily wants you to root for the protagonist or else it is a failure is patently false.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Most of the iconic TV and film drama characters of all-time are "bad" guys. Tony Soprano is the greatest TV character of all-time. Walter White, Omar, Stringer Bell, Avon Barksdale, Logan Roy, the Corleones, Hannibal Lecter, Travis Bickle...
don't forget Jax Teller

Reaction Score
Its a concept, make your protagonist a bad guy and it adds layers to the entertainment.
I think this is certainly more interesting than a good guy with no flaws, or geek that gets the girl. TV & movies were largely this way for awhile and rightfully moved away from it.
Its a study of the human condition, its sometimes more interesting if you do not identify with characters or their plight.

Mare of Eastown was just about a perfect example of the next evolution. Kate Winslett's Mare was a flawed character but in human ways, she makes mistakes, is awkward and normal looking. She does at least one very bad thing but not out of malice or evil, just succumbs to putting her own interests above others, something we all do at times.
Kate Winslett was spectacular. She even nailed the DelCo accent perfectly. I had zero expectations when I began watching. Ended up doing the binge thing.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Most of the iconic TV and film drama characters of all-time are "bad" guys. Tony Soprano is the greatest TV character of all-time. Walter White, Omar, Stringer Bell, Avon Barksdale, Logan Roy, the Corleones, Hannibal Lecter, Travis Bickle...
Back to The Wire, McNulty (and maybe Bunk) deserves a spot on the list. He may have been on the "correct" side of the law, but he was not a good guy.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Back to The Wire, McNulty (and maybe Bunk) deserves a spot on the list. He may have been on the "correct" side of the law, but he was not a good guy.
IMO the point of The Wire is that everyone is flawed and doing what they need to do to get by. Some are more corrupt and less redeemable than others, but every cop, criminal, politician, teacher, etc. was dealing with a world in which they had very limited resources to solve major problems, so they had to be "creative" to survive.

Reaction Score
IMO the point of The Wire is that everyone is flawed and doing what they need to do to get by. Some are more corrupt and less redeemable than others, but every cop, criminal, politician, teacher, etc. was dealing with a world in which they had very limited resources to solve major problems, so they had to be "creative" to survive.
So many of the people in The Wire are all similar, but circumstances made them different. That's really the beauty.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So many of the people in The Wire are all similar, but circumstances made them different. That's really the beauty.
I can't think of any other show with so many interesting and essential characters, almost all of whom were likable for one reason or another; and all of whom were seriously flawed.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I can't think of any other show with so many interesting and essential characters, almost all of whom were likable for one reason or another; and all of whom were seriously flawed.
Carcetti I hated, but what a great character

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Watching Jaws now....Go Shark!!!!
FB_IMG_1625167883304.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you are trying to say that viewers weren't rooting for Tony, you're nuts. I was rooting for Tony.
Fascination with a complex amoral individual is not the same as rooting
Of course you don’t want to see him
killed off because that would end the theater.
The show were his Italian American analyst is a sexual assault victim who trusts the justice system however when her assailant gets off on a technicality.
You are probably rooting for her to tell Tony
who you know will exact justice.
However she never does because she plays by a different set of rules.
You left that episode wondering where your conscience would take you. That’s the dilemma you faced weekly.

Reaction Score
Fascination with a complex amoral individual is not the same as rooting
Of course you don’t want to see him
killed off because that would end the theater.
The show were his Italian American analyst is a sexual assault victim who trusts the justice system however when her assailant gets off on a technicality.
You are probably rooting for her to tell Tony
who you know will exact justice.
However she never does because she plays by a different set of rules.
You left that episode wondering where your conscience would take you. That’s the dilemma you faced weekly.
The need to 'root' for characters of movies or TV shows is very human and as flawed as the characters are. DVR kind of cured me of superstitions while watching sports. So we can watch the outcome of TV shows completely divested of personal accountability for our rooting interests, the outcome is even more pre-ordained.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's amazing, I'm jealous that you have the chance to watch it all. I've gone through it a few times, the last viewing I realized it's one the greatest comedies ever.

Underrated aspect is the humor. AJ was such a little fart knocker in the earlier seasons.

Reaction Score
They are all "bad" in a way but more just flawed human beings caught in a hopeless cycle. Jimmy is a scumbag in a lot of ways but also an ends to a means guy. He'll break all the rules knowing you have to do some bad stuff for the overall good. Status quo doesn't work in places like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom