OT - Silly Questions regarding streaming | The Boneyard

OT - Silly Questions regarding streaming

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Yeah, So, I'm part of the older generation that doesn't fully understand today's trends and methods. I have also been taught that there are no stupid questions (only stupid people that ask questions.....)

So - Can someone give me a primer on streaming?
1- How do I stream a game to my TV ( I assume I would use an HDMI Cable hooking a laptop to my tv - correct?)
2- Do I dial the game up on the lap top (and how then do I get it to appear on my TV?)
3- What would be the specs required for a laptop to perform streaming adequately (as opposed to having to deal with too much buffering or streakiness in the viewing)
4- about how much would I expect to pay for such a lap top?
5 - anything else that I should know?

Your help is appreciated.........

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Seems like you're under the premise that you absolutely need a laptop to stream games to your TV. That's definitely not the case. Although you certainly can, there's plenty of little boxes out there these days that can stream much more effectively.

Do you have a cable subscription? The answer to that question will help determine a lot of other things.

Most people are going to recommend one of these (although there are others):
1. Roku
2. Apple TV
3. Amazon Fire Stick
4. Chromecast Stick

This article can prime you: Best Media Streamers of 2017

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
2- Do I dial the game up on the lap top
I loved this question, for a whole lot reasons, the use of the phrase "dial up" just being one of them.

The link @tykurez provided will take you devices that will allow you to stream the game wirelessly. They are inexpensive, easy to use and are the most convenient choice.

If you'd like you can can connect your laptop directly to you TV and use your TV as a remote screen. This link will show you how. It is easiest to use an HDMI connector and the laptop's and the TV's HDMI ports.

Once you've connected the two, you'll be able to choose between these options:

aid2060407-v4-728px-Use-Your-TV-as-a-Second-Monitor-for-Your-Computer-Step-8.jpg

You want the last one. Just remember to change it back when you are done.

It is easier than you'd expect. I'd did this until I got a Chromecast stick as a gift. Chromecast is much more convenient and probably costs less than $40.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Seems like you're under the premise that you absolutely need a laptop to stream games to your TV. That's definitely not the case. Although you certainly can, there's plenty of little boxes out there these days that can stream much more effectively.

Do you have a cable subscription? The answer to that question will help determine a lot of other things.

Most people are going to recommend one of these (although there are others):
1. Roku
2. Apple TV
3. Amazon Fire Stick
4. Chromecast Stick

This article can prime you: Best Media Streamers of 2017
So - I have cable through Frontier and I also have an Amazon Fire Box hooked up to my TV.

I am looking to add NBCSN Streaming for EPL Soccer Games this season - am I good to go with the equipment that I have?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
So - I have cable through Frontier and I also have an Amazon Fire Box hooked up to my TV.

I am looking to add NBCSN Streaming for EPL Soccer Games this season - am I good to go with the equipment that I have?

Potentially. I personally do not have an Amazon device, but a little digging and looks like you can download the NBC Sports app for your Fire Box:

That app will likely have you sign in with your cable provider (in your case Frontier). Assuming Frontier is supported, you should be able to stream games from NBCSN.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think we have established that you have wireless internet in your house yet, kev. Do you have a router set up?

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Just came across this on reddit. Lists all the available streaming packages, which sports channels are included in each, and total cost:

If I could just get CBSSN and SNY in a single service I would be happy. I have Directv and they split those into a higher end programming package and the Sports Pak. Life would be simpler if CBSSN was just in the Directv sportspack.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All - I was able to (finally) get everything set up - Thanks for the help!

I just wanted to note, because nobody has, that virtually all modern BluRay players, and most TVs are themselves "smart" devices, which connect to wifi and have a variety of apps that allow you to stream. Most of those devices (TVs and BluRay players) have a more limited set of apps than you find with a ROKU, Fire Stick or Box, Apple TV, XBox or Playstation.

Reaction Score
I noticed ABC on the package. Does that mean the local ABC channel live or just ABC programming? Because that has always been one of the streaming hang ups.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom