OT: Signature lines by sportscasters. | The Boneyard

OT: Signature lines by sportscasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
For many many MANY years, every time I watch a favorite team (e.g., UConn) win a nailbiter, my standard answer when asked my thoughts of the game: "We had 'em all the way!" (Never used for blowouts). And I thank Diana for lots of occasions to resurrect it.

I got it from a zany announcer for the Pittsburgh Pirates of the Clemente era, Bob Prince.

This line, properly uttered, has endured as part of a unique language known as Pittsburghese, spoken by Yinzers like me. I used it with precision about a week ago when the Sox scored 4 in the 9th to win, 6-5.

The play-by-play and commentary for the 6-1 blowout of the Penguins by the Broons last night was performed by those superb Canadian guys and even they had some familiarity with Prince's old line. One said "I guess if the score were reversed, local (Pittsburgh fans) would say, 'We had 'em all the way!' " But his colleague was uncertain about this usage and muttered some thought about how he believed that the cognoscenti correctly apply this line (nailbiters only, never for blowouts). Simply amazing that a line used 50-60 years ago would surface in these circumstances.

Which got me to thinking about other signature lines by sportscasters, present and past.

John Sterling: "The-e-e-e-e-e-e Yankees win!"

Michael Kay: "See ya!" after a home run shot. Don Orsillo (Red Sox) prefers to tell us "That ball is outta here!"

Marv Albert: "YES!" after a made shot.

Red Barber sat in the catbird seat and Dizzy Dean told us that a base stealer "slud" in safely.

Johnny Most immortalized the steal of the ball by John Havlicek.

Any others?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"Whooooaaa, Nelly!" - Keith Jackson ABC

"You can put it on the boooooard, yyyess!!" - Ken "Hawk" Harrelson [White Sox]

"Juuust a bit outside!" - Bob Uecker in Major League :)

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
"Juuust a bit outside!" - Bob Uecker in Major League :)
I used to do player intros and custom fun sounds during some semi-pro games in Kokomo, IN. I was once kicked out for playing the - "Personally, I think we got hosed on that call." bit twice in one game :p

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Chris Berman has a few great ones of his own that he does for highlights and replays:

"WWWOOOOP!!!!!!" - in a weird high-pitched screech, for when a player falls down, slips a tackle, or does a silly move on the field, etc.

"Back back back back back back back........GONE!" - for a deep high-flying home run where the outfielder is backtracking, to no avail

-- and a number of others that will come to me later

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who's that Pitt hockey guy that says, "Scratch my back with a hack saw!"?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
“He’s kissin her on the strikes and she’s kissin him on the balls”…Dizzy Dean

Oz - That one is usually attributed to Harry Caray, but I think it may be urban legend.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Bill Raftery - "with the kiss" and "send it in, Jerome" and a little "lingerie on the deck".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It might be, it could be, it is! A home run, Holy Cow! - I remember Harry Carey saying that so many time growing up.(for the Cardinals, after he move to Chicago, he was dead to me ;))

Always loved Stuart Scott's (SportsCenter) - Call me butter because I'm on a roll.

Oh also...Turn the lights out, the party's over. - Dandy Don Meredith

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Well, he shoulda said it.

I was a big fan of Dizzy Dean the announcer. I never saw him play.
This is probably the best known Dean quote -
" An English teacher once wrote to him, complaining that he shouldn't use the word "ain't" on the air, as it was a bad example to children. On the air, Dean said, "A lot of folks who ain't sayin' 'ain't,' ain't eatin'. So, Teach, you learn 'em English, and I'll learn 'em baseball."

Reaction Score
I go all the way back to George Ehrlich on WTIC back in the 60's. His signature call was 'SWISH' whenever a player scored a jump shot without touching the rim. I believe he was also the one who coined the nickname 'Poughkeepsie(sp?) Popper' for Wes Bialasouknia (sp?).

I still consider Ehrlich to be one of the best radio play-by-play guys I ever heard, but that may be youth talking.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
One of the funniest pieces I have ever read is Jesse Eisenberg's send up of Marv Albert's signature exclamations in Marv Albert Is My Therapist for the New Yorker. And it ends somewhat naturally with "Yes, and it counts."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Hey, 'Yarders! Has there ever been a more memorable line (one time) than this one by Al Michaels?

"Do you believe in miracles?"

Reaction Score
"Two thirds of the earth is covered by water, the other third by Gary Maddox" - Ralph Kiner, circa 1980's.

Marv Albert was an excellent hockey play by play man as well. YES, though, while broadcasting the Knicks, was his signature call.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
"Two thirds of the earth is covered by water, the other third by Gary Maddox" - Ralph Kiner, circa 1980's.

Marv Albert was an excellent hockey play by play man as well. YES, though, while broadcasting the Knicks, was his signature call.

Barnett, Frazier, Debusherre, Bradley, Reed...Stallwoth , Riordan, Bowman...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Kenny Mayne - referenced in the article - always had me with the ball being hit "over some fencing they set up in the outfield". During the current Women's College World Series, I always think of this, as the physical wall of Hall of Fame Stadium is further out than the outfield wall used for NCAA play. So, quite literally, Home Runs are hit over some fencing set up in the outfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom