OT: SI Swimsuit Issue | The Boneyard

OT: SI Swimsuit Issue

Reaction Score
Ya, looking at this issue briefly, is it really any wonder why many women have such low self esteem in regards to body image? Plus all these men who have very high (and unrealistic) expectations about what their partners ¨should¨ look like. This issue is just trash and really serves no positive purpose or helps to advance any kind of positive cause.

Reaction Score
Ya, looking at this issue briefly, is it really any wonder why many women have such low self esteem in regards to body image? Plus all these men who have very high (and unrealistic) expectations about what their partners ¨should¨ look like. This issue is just trash and really serves no positive purpose or helps to advance any kind of positive cause.

problem too is a lot of the shoots are heavily airbrushed and photo shopped, even the models dont look like that in real life

Reaction Score
ts a swimsuit issue. What were you expecting? That said, now that I am older than 12, I have a hard time getting psyched about something like this.

Reaction Score
problem too is a lot of the shoots are heavily airbrushed and photo shopped, even the models dont look like that in real life
I also love the "patriarchy" angle of it as well, when the fashion/modelling world is run by women and gay folks

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They actually have two pretty large sized models this year. I'm going tired of this argument anyway, because women have equally unrealistic expectations of men. Ladies, yes, you should aspire to look like a sports illustrated swimsuit model. Men, you should aspire to look like Ryan Reynolds, or a guy on Men's Fitness. Now...expect people to look like that? No. I sure as hell don't, never did and never will. My self is esteem is helped by the fact that I suspect I'm smarter than the guys on Men's Fitness.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
ts a swimsuit issue. What were you expecting? That said, now that I am older than 12, I have a hard time getting psyched about something like this.

The best changes from my youth are (a) body paint and (b) the athletes. I think the athletes showcase some different body types. Genie Bouchard is adorable this year, and still looks like she could kick my ass.

The downside is that these models, with the possible exception of Kate Upton, aren't the supermodels of the past like Christie Brinkley (looking pretty darned good at 68 this year), Cheryl Tiegs, Rachel Hunter, Elle McPherson etc. Those women dominated fashion magazines, runways, etc., and still did the SI shoot. The top models don't go near SI swimsuit edition now.

Reaction Score
They actually have two pretty large sized models this year. I'm going tired of this argument anyway, because women have equally unrealistic expectations of men. Ladies, yes, you should aspire to look like a sports illustrated swimsuit model. Men, you should aspire to look like Ryan Reynolds, or a guy on Men's Fitness. Now...expect people to look like that? No. I sure as hell don't, never did and never will. My self is esteem is helped by the fact that I suspect I'm smarter than the guys on Men's Fitness.
Are there double standards? Sure. How can we improve this?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Are there double standards? Sure. How can we improve this?

We can start by realizing that it is largely driven by biology and not worrying about it. Nobody wants to see girls become anorexic or anything, but certainly Kate Upton isn't encouraging that. She's not skinny.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Does Deepster that at least half the models in the magazine played college hoops?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wait, you mean to tell me women find men who aren't in shape attractive? Oh boy, guess I'll stop caring about attractiveness myself then.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you her daughter with Billy Joel has turned into a hotty. Exotic looking, love it.

Reaction Score
I think more women ogle the Ryans (Reynolds/Gosling) of the world, but have no issue falling for a... squishier man, especially if they themselves shop at Lane Bryant. I know plenty of men, however, that couldn't see their abs in an x-ray, but are the first to call a size 12 girl a "pig" at a bar. Some of it is guy talk, but not all. The double standard certainly helped me outkick my coverage, but I know a few guys that were alone for a while, or wound up with a fit but nasty woman.

Reaction Score
I can't believe Derek Jeter is married to Hannah Davis. I think she is spectacular. Well he's probably going to die well before she does. I'll just have to wait. And live a very long time!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom