OT - safe train parking | The Boneyard

OT - safe train parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I need to go to NYC to see my brother who is seriously ill. My family & I plan to drive to Connecticut and take train to NYC. We can get the train at any of the regular stations - Bridgeport, Stamford, etc, etc.

QUESTION - Likely we will leave our car at the station for at least one over night or perhaps two. Is this safe? Are some stations better than others? If I need to pay to park, that's OK. My concern is that the car be there when I return. (it's only a 2007 Camry - nothing exotic) Thanks

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
QUESTION - Likely we will leave our car at the station for at least one over night or perhaps two. Is this safe? Are some stations better than others? If I need to pay to park, that's OK. My concern is that the car be there when I return. (it's only a 2007 Camry - nothing exotic) Thanks

We never had any qualms with leaving our car in the New Haven garage when we go to the city for a weekend.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They are all generally safe. Any of the larger station parking garages should be fine.

For convenience, pick one that is on the express route, i.e. NH, Bridgeport or Stamford.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Agreed--just go to Union Station in New Haven and take metro north. Last time I went (maybe 5 years ago) tickets were only about 12 bucks.

Reaction Score
New Haven has never been a problem, and I use it regularly. One thing to consider is that the covered garage next to station can fill up with commuters, so if you're traveling mid-day, you may have trouble getting a spot there (and, instead, have to go to open air lot next door or covered garage across the street.

Personally, I'd avoid Bridgeport.

As for me, if you're driving to Stamford, why not just keep going?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
NH to Stamford is an extra hour on the train depending where you are coming from it could make a difference. I use all three. I've never had an issue with the Bridgeport garage.

The reason to take the train in is parking.

Reaction Score
I need to go to NYC to see my brother who is seriously ill. My family & I plan to drive to Connecticut and take train to NYC. We can get the train at any of the regular stations - Bridgeport, Stamford, etc, etc.

You can park at some of the stations in smaller towns and then take the train in. Some are very close to I-95, such as Fairfield (the old one - which is just off Exit 21) or Darien (Exit 12, maybe?). The difference in parking in one of the towns (vs. the cities) is that the parking is cheaper but it's not covered.

Old Fairfield: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1431135,-73.2610765,17z

Darien: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Darien+RR+and+West+Ave/@41.077028,-73.472318,18z

The new Fairfield Metro is near the Bridgeport border off Exit 24, I think, and has ample parking, too. From the Fairfield area, Metro North is about a 70 minute train ride, and you can either get off at Grand Central (the very end) or at Harlem/125th Street and then take the 4 train from there.

Fairfield Metro: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1616705,-73.2338536,1183m/data=!3m1!1e3

Best wishes to you and your family.

Reaction Score
Park at NH in the garage. You can't leave your car in most of the smaller lots without a pass. I leave my car in Milford a lot when I travel, but I have a parking pass. You don't want to come home to 2-3 tickets.

Reaction Score
And Fairfield will ticket the bejeezus out of you if you park there with no permit.

Reaction Score
Park in the New Haven garage. If it is filled, there is a smaller garage across the street...next to the Police station and you will have no problems. Just a short walk to the station.

Reaction Score
And Fairfield will ticket the bejeezus out of you if you park there with no permit.

I thought they just gave you an envelope and asked you to pay $8 per day within a week or so? It's been a while since I took the train from there (old Fairfield).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought they just gave you an envelope and asked you to pay $8 per day within a week or so? It's been a while since I took the train from there (old Fairfield).

That's if you get one of the handful of daily spots. The vast majority are monthly reserved.

Reaction Score

Made a recent trip from Brewster, NY. Just over the state line from Danbury. Easy to get to. Enough parking, and we stayed overnight. No fuss, no delays, no train switches.

Reaction Score
Bridgeport is fine. The area around the train station is quite safe and well-staffed. There are two primary garages, the municipal one next to the arena is inexpensive ($6 per day IIRC) and open to midnight while the garage behind the Holiday Inn is 24 hours but about $20 per day (discounted to about $12 if you show a Metro North receipt). I have returned to both garages at all hours, including after midnight (monthly pass holders still have exit access to the municipal garage), and never had a problem. The third garage, above the old bus terminal, is also open to midnight but it's older, dirtier and creepier since they built the new bus terminal down the street. I'd probably avoid it.

Reaction Score

Depends on when you are going, and how long you are staying. Overnight and on the weekends is free at a lot of the stations.

Fairfield Metro, as someone mentioned is never full, and only 6 bucks per day.

Reaction Score
I've parked at quite a few of them, including Bridgeport and New Haven without any issues. I believe West Haven and/or Milford may be free on the weekends and are probably fine, but not garages, just lots.

Reaction Score
Depends on when you are going, and how long you are staying. Overnight and on the weekends is free at a lot of the stations.

Fairfield Metro, as someone mentioned is never full, and only 6 bucks per day.

Overnights are free - but if you leave your car there for days, overnights run into commuting time. Some lots have daily spots, some don't.

Reaction Score
And don't leave your car in Stratford for any length of time. I've had 2 different cars broken into there, and I never even left a car there overnight.

The response from Stratford police (it happened during the winter): "Hmm...that's interesting. They usually don't break into cars over the winter."

Reaction Score
New Haven. Without a doubt. Easy to find. Safe. MetroNorth is cheaper-- goes to Grand Central. Amtrak more $$--goes to Penn Station.

Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:
I've parked at quite a few of them, including Bridgeport and New Haven without any issues. I believe West Haven and/or Milford may be free on the weekends and are probably fine, but not garages, just lots.
I knew you'd know. I use Milford 100% of the time. It's free on weekends and have yet to even get a ticket other times. Hundred rides easy since forever.

Reaction Score
Jarhead_1775 said:
I knew you'd know. I use Milford 100% of the time. It's free on weekends and have yet to even get a ticket other times. Hundred rides easy since forever.

Milford is funny. Ticketing is sporadic. Nights and weekends are free but you might get a ticket if you park without a permit during a weekday. But they aren't checking daily for sure. That's my home station.

Reaction Score

It really depends on where you are coming from. I use both New Haven and Stamford frequently and never have had a problem. As noted by others, parking at New Haven can be a problem. Despite numerous promises, the state has never been able to build another garage there. You can find that both the lot next to the station and the one across the street are filled in which case there is an outdoor lot about 2 blocks away. I've had to use that but I don't like it. It's too easy for intruders to walk in.

There is a brand new lot in Stamford and I have had no issues. The advantage of Stamford is frequency of schedule. If you are impatient like I am, the significantly greater frequency is great. However you don't want to use Stamford if you will be returning at rush hour and need to drive I-95.

Reaction Score
As noted by others, parking at New Haven can be a problem. Despite numerous promises, the state has never been able to build another garage there. You can find that both the lot next to the station and the one across the street are filled in which case there is an outdoor lot about 2 blocks away. I've had to use that but I don't like it. It's too easy for intruders to walk in.

New Haven also has valet parking for like $20 for 24 hours. I think the garage daily max is $18.00? Nice option if running late/or garage next to station is maxed.

Reaction Score
Milford is funny. Ticketing is sporadic. Nights and weekends are free but you might get a ticket if you park without a permit during a weekday. But they aren't checking daily for sure. That's my home station.

Where's the best place to park at the Milford station if I don't have a permit during the weekdays?

Reaction Score
South Norwalk has a garage, cheaper train than NH, safer then Bridgeport, only a 15+/- minute longer ride to NYC than Stamford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom