OT: Royals' Yordano Ventura Dead | The Boneyard

OT: Royals' Yordano Ventura Dead

Reaction Score
Automobile accident. 25 years old. Another tradgedy for the MLB.

Reaction Score
Andy Marte also died in car accident in DR this morning.

Unfortunately in the DR a lot of people drink heavily/do drugs and drive and there are a lot of fatal car accidents. Last night was also a holiday in the DR so I can only assume there was a lot of drinking and celebration.

Awful news for baseball RIP

Reaction Score
Awful day there. Honestly been there twice if I was a baseball executive my contract would state you stay in the US until you are no longer playing for me. We will pay for you to bring your family and friends here.

I mean the streets are beyond dangerous, why don't they just buy tanks or something to get around and just run over the mopeds?

Reaction Score
Awful day there. Honestly been there twice if I was a baseball executive my contract would state you stay in the US until you are no longer playing for me. We will pay for you to bring your family and friends here.

I mean the streets are beyond dangerous, why don't they just buy tanks or something to get around and just run over the mopeds?
You can't tell someone to stay out of their country.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DR is kinda like Chicago - take your life in your own hands - if a stray bullet don't get you a drunken driver will - pure craziness when the sun goes in and the lights go on

Reaction Score
DR is kinda like Chicago - take your life in your own hands - if a stray bullet don't get you a drunken driver will - pure craziness when the sun goes in and the lights go on

Now you're starting to sound like deepster in his Hartford thread. "Stray bullets" lol, as if people like you are just dropping in Chicago on the regular.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Now you're starting to sound like deepster in his Hartford thread. "Stray bullets" lol, as if people like you are just dropping in Chicago on the regular.
have you seen the stats on number of people killed by gunfire in Chicago last year??

Reaction Score
Laughable.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately in the DR a lot of people drink heavily/do drugs and drive and there are a lot of fatal car accidents. Last night was also a holiday in the DR so I can only assume there was a lot of drinking and celebration.

The roads are also extremely narrow and not too many lights.

Reaction Score

Drink heavily? yes that is common in my home country
Drugs? unlikely... That sounds more like the U.S to me...

Either way... It's a tragedy. I been watching the Dominican baseball finals between the Licey vs Aguilas and its a shame to see these things happen. both were members of the Aguilas club

RIP

Reaction Score

The infrastructure is not the problem. Just about all the highways in the DR are well paved and marked... the problem is a lack of civility among drivers. A lot of these players do things back at home they wouldn't do in the U.S... these curvy two lane highways in the mountains require precaution... yet these guys often are speeding and driving under the influence.

I've driven extensively across the Dominican... never had a problem... I just avoid late night driving

You can tell in the image that something wasn't right with the driver. He was speeding across a curve.

tambien-muere-en-accidente-de-transito-el-pelotero-yordano-ventura.jpeg

Reaction Score
The roads are also extremely narrow and not too many lights.

Again... the quality of the infrastructure is most likely not the problem... Is the lack of civility and respect when driving... this is often due to the driver. The Dominican authorities have greatly improved infrastructure across the country. 15 years ago infrastructure may have been the problem... today, I would say the infrastructure is world class. Definitely in top 5 in Latin America. Driving in the D.R often times feels like driving anywhere down in Florida...

but the lack of civility and respect for the roads is a major problem. You can notice it as soon as you get on a car in the D.R... people speeding, stopping at random spots, making U-turn, speeding into a curve, drinking, etc

Highways aren't well lit? Yeah, that's the case anywhere in the U.S outside the major cities. You want something darker than CT-195 on your way to Storrs? yet, anything rarely happens in CT-195 because people stick to 45 MPH... In D.R that same highway people would go at 75-80 under the influence of alcohol late night

In the case of Yordano he died in the Highway to Juan Adrian... 2 years ago it got rebuilt, brand new. On my next trip i'm driving through it because it has wonderful views. But it's in the Cordillera Central (central mountain range)... obviously to do this drive late at night is daring to say the least... and without precaution it can be deadly also

Reaction Score
It's sad that the killing machine in Chicago does not seem to register on the the national level.

HeyJackass!

Homicide Watch Chicago

I travel to Chicago 20 times a year and know the city and all the surrounding cities of greater Chicago very well (its my 2nd home).

Yes, the murder rate there is, and has been for numerous years now, very high. However, it is largely relegated to a part of the the South and West sides of the city. These are the more poor parts of the city and the murders are for the most part, gang related with various gangs killing each other over fights over territory, drugs etc. The high murder rate is largely not something that affects the majority of the city or its citizens.

Again, largely gang hoods killing off each other. Its really stupid black on black crime. I say its stupid because instead of coming together as a people, this group is killing each other off over nonsense ("you looked at me wrong", "you disrespected me" etc.). More specifically its young black men killing other young black men.

Of course, these groups always attack the police as the bad guys.
When the police are tough on the criminals with frequent stops etc, the police are at fault.
When the police have fewer stops (recent story on 60 Minutes), then again, its the police's fault for not enough enforcement. That is why I completely agree with prior NYPD "Stop and Frisk" program, stop the people who are highly likely to be involved in criminal activity and tak'em off the streets or make it more difficult for them to engage in their illegal activities. This worked in NYC but of course, the liberals complained and it was forced to stop.

Bottom line, Chicago murder rate is extremley high but relegated to a portion of the city and largely gang on gang crime.

Reaction Score
have you seen the stats on number of people killed by gunfire in Chicago last year??

I have. The victims are, unfortunately, overwhelmingly black and Hispanic. It doesn't make it less tragic, but it's disingenuous to act like there exists an anarchy that penetrates every level of society. That's not what's happening. What's happening is the result of decades of erroneous policy that bottles poverty in corridors beneath the spectrum of white America. There's a reason Joe Buck isn't boycotting the World Series in the interest of personal safety - these murders are confined to certain parts of the city and almost unanimously facilitated by people who, because of oppression, have no recourse to affirm their identity other than through gangs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom