OT: Roddick 30 to retire after US Open | The Boneyard

OT: Roddick 30 to retire after US Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
LINK

Hanging it up at 30. Glad he got the 1 grand slam, even though he (and others) thought more would follow. These days, 30 is a relatively advanced age for top male players.

At least he made it past Borg's retirement age of 26!

[Meant to type the subject as follows: "Roddick, 30, to retire.."]

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Darn darn darn. He was down here playing last week over in Winston ... wanted to go see him play vs Blake, but didnt get the chance. Figured I'd catch him in action when he came down next year. Darn, darn, darn :(

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Relatively advanced, though Federer, Sampras, and Agassi all won majors past the big 3-0.

Although he did win the 2003 US Open and finish 2003 ranked #1, it's somewhat a microcosm of his career that his two most memorable matches were ones that cost him major titles. Obviously, there was the 2009 Wimbledon finals, where he lost 14-16 in the fifth to Federer, and the win over Younes El Aynaoui in the 2003 Aussie quarters that went to 21-19 in the fifth set that left him spent for the semis.

In other eras, Roddick might have won multiple majors. I thought that, heading in Wimbledon 2003, he was headed in that direction. In the semifinals of Wimbledon, he faced Roger Federer, the 21 year old Swiss who, although ranked #4 in the world, didn't seem to have his best stuff at the slams. Indeed, he'd lost in the first round of the French just a month prior. But Fed ambushed Roddick with an amazing display of grass court tennis, beating him in straights. He reinforced his dominance over Roddick by defeating him in the finals of Wimby 2004, and also beat him in the 2005 Wimby finals, the 2006 US Open finals, the 2007 Aussie semis, the 2009 Aussie semis, and the 2009 Wimby finals. Whereas younger players such as Djokovic, Nadal, and even Andy Murray to an extent, have been able to reach the bar the Federer set, Roddick was never able to do it. In his prime, Andy's serve and forehand were world class, but his backhand, net game, and movement just weren't good enough. No one accused Roddick of not working hard, and he certainly tried everything he could to get better, but nothing seemed to stick.

In another era, he might have been revered. Instead, he found himself in the shadow of all-time great contemporaries AND his immediate American predecessors Agassi and Sampras.

Ah well- he has the 2003 US Open, a season-ending #1 ranking, 30 tourney titles, a hot wife, a bunch of money, and one of the all-time great press conferences.

Godspeed, Andy.

Reaction Score
Relatively advanced, though Federer, Sampras, and Agassi all won majors past the big 3-0.

Although he did win the 2003 US Open and finish 2003 ranked #1, it's somewhat a microcosm of his career that his two most memorable matches were ones that cost him major titles. Obviously, there was the 2009 Wimbledon finals, where he lost 14-16 in the fifth to Federer, and the win over Younes El Aynaoui in the 2003 Aussie quarters that went to 21-19 in the fifth set that left him spent for the semis.

In other eras, Roddick might have won multiple majors. I thought that, heading in Wimbledon 2003, he was headed in that direction. In the semifinals of Wimbledon, he faced Roger Federer, the 21 year old Swiss who, although ranked #4 in the world, didn't seem to have his best stuff at the slams. Indeed, he'd lost in the first round of the French just a month prior. But Fed ambushed Roddick with an amazing display of grass court tennis, beating him in straights. He reinforced his dominance over Roddick by defeating him in the finals of Wimby 2004, and also beat him in the 2005 Wimby finals, the 2006 US Open finals, the 2007 Aussie semis, the 2009 Aussie semis, and the 2009 Wimby finals. Whereas younger players such as Djokovic, Nadal, and even Andy Murray to an extent, have been able to reach the bar the Federer set, Roddick was never able to do it. In his prime, Andy's serve and forehand were world class, but his backhand, net game, and movement just weren't good enough. No one accused Roddick of not working hard, and he certainly tried everything he could to get better, but nothing seemed to stick.

In another era, he might have been revered. Instead, he found himself in the shadow of all-time great contemporaries AND his immediate American predecessors Agassi and Sampras.

Ah well- he has the 2003 US Open, a season-ending #1 ranking, 30 tourney titles, a hot wife, a bunch of money, and one of the all-time great press conferences.

Godspeed, Andy.

I agree. Excellent tennis player, wrong era. What one sees on television does not do justice to the enormity of his serve which I had the pleasure of witnessing four years ago at Arthur Ashe Stadium(Lindsey Davenport played the earlier match that evening. She is also an awesome tennis playerr up close and personal).

I forget the year, but Roddick got robbed on an overturn by the chair umpire at the US Open.

Now that Roddick is retiring, is there an American upstart on the horizon? I have seen the American future in tennis on the women's side. Her name is Victoria DuVal.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Sloane Stephens has a shot too. She's only 19 and is in the third round of the Open. Then again Oudin looked like she might be the next big thing after 2009, and she quickly fizzled.

On the men's side, there really isn't anyone right now that I'm confident is going to carry the torch for the US. This year, a lot of guys pulled through the opening round, but no one is screaming "I'm going to win multiple majors." I do like what I've seen this US Open from young Jack Sock, however. He'll be a decided underdog against Amalgro, but Amlgro's played some marathon matches already this tourney. He has a chance.

Reaction Score
Sloane Stephens has a shot too. She's only 19 and is in the third round of the Open. Then again Oudin looked like she might be the next big thing after 2009, and she quickly fizzled.

On the men's side, there really isn't anyone right now that I'm confident is going to carry the torch for the US. This year, a lot of guys pulled through the opening round, but no one is screaming "I'm going to win multiple majors." I do like what I've seen this US Open from young Jack Sock, however. He'll be a decided underdog against Amalgro, but Amlgro's played some marathon matches already this tourney. He has a chance.

True that. Oudin is like a small town on a rural highway. Blink once and it quickly becomes a distant memory.

My theory/opinion on how/why some of these players come and go so quickly: They have put in tons of hard work to reach the level at which they make a breakthrough, only to realize it will take three times the effort to become a champion. Tennis, unlike basketball, offers few rewards while practicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom