OT: Robin Williams | The Boneyard

OT: Robin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Robin used to run in a lot of the 10k's in Marin County during the '80's...the opposite of what you'd expect, almost painfully shy...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A favorite of mine since his Mork days. A mind so scary fast and clever. It is said that the heart of comedy is pain. A sad day. RIP Robin.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
WHAAATTTT?!?!?!?!? No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get my head around this. What a shock!

Reaction Score
I should say "suspected suicide" though his publicist issued a statement that he had been battling severe depression recently so suicide is highly probable. He also battled various addictions over his lifetime. So sad. There are few celebrity passings that take the breath out of me, but this one of them

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Ugh...not RW! He's the most famous person I've ever met in person. :(

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A favorite of mine since his Mork days. A mind so scary fast and clever. It is said that the heart of comedy is pain. A sad day. RIP Robin.

I also have to say I felt it was maddeningly cheesy of CNN that I had to endure a 30 second ad for some sleppy franchise's cheesy dogs to see their video news report. No wonder we have the attention span of superannuated lemmings! Maybe Robin would have gotten a hoot out of that?! :(

Reaction Score
So awful. Always the worst when one feels they have to resort to suicide to get better. Thoughts with his family and friends.
But what a talent! I loved his movies. Never failed to put a smile on my face.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 29
Reaction Score
Patch Adams was probably my favorite Robin Williams movie. Robin did drama as well as he did comedy, but his stand-up act was crazy, frenetic, and always had me in tears from the laughter. I wish I had seen him perform his stand-up routine live. I will have to settle for YouTube.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It's a good thing that he taught the world to laugh, otherwise I don't know how we would manage it now that he is gone. I think how appropriate the Walt Whitman poem is for which he was so well known. I weep as I post:

O Captain! My Captain!
BY WALT WHITMAN
O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
Here Captain! dear father!
The arm beneath your head!
It is some dream that on the deck,
You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
But I with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

Rest in peace man. You made me laugh at times when no one else could.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One of the most talented and funniest people ever. What a shame!

I worried about him, because he seemed to be out of control at times. So I'm not totally surprised. But I am terribly saddened.

RIP, Comic Genius.

Reaction Score
So very sad. As a kid, Mrs. Doubtfire and Hook were always my sick day movies. And I truly enjoyed his performances in many more of his other films.

Reaction Score
Patch Adams was probably my favorite Robin Williams movie. Robin did drama as well as he did comedy, but his stand-up act was crazy, frenetic, and always had me in tears from the laughter. I wish I had seen him perform his stand-up routine live. I will have to settle for YouTube.
One of my favorite routines of his is the invention of golf.... check it out on youtube..... he is hilarious.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's a good thing that he taught the world to laugh, otherwise I don't know how we would manage it now that he is gone. I think how appropriate the Walt Whitman poem is for which he was so well known. I weep as I post:

O Captain! My Captain!
BY WALT WHITMAN
O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
Here Captain! dear father!
The arm beneath your head!
It is some dream that on the deck,
You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
But I with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

Rest in peace man. You made me laugh at times when no one else could.

After a very long and tough shift yesterday I opened a cold beer and started watching Dead Man Poet's Society which was on one of the cable movie channels last night. An hour in to the movie I turned the TV off. I was tired, but I also didn't want to watch the painful suicide at the end of that movie. I wanted to remember the laughs. Ugh. #Oh Captain! My Captain! #RIP

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
After a very long and tough shift yesterday I opened a cold beer and started watching Dead Man Poet's Society which was on one of the cable movie channels last night. An hour in to the movie I turned the TV off. I was tired, but I also didn't want to watch the painful suicide at the end of that movie. I wanted to remember the laughs. Ugh. #Oh Captain! My Captain! #RIP

I do the same for that movie. funny. The world will truly and collectively weep at the loss of this man.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Shock. I know from seeing him interviewed about his demons. And knowing people who suffer both from addiction and depression how much they suffer and how much they can mask, suicide, intentional or not - Philip Seymour Hoffman - is too often perceived as the only way out. The man could always make others laugh, but I guess his own laughter became a burden. Dead Poets Society is one of my all time favorites and in the off-beat Garp, he showed the world that he was much more than a comic. RIP. A truly sad day.

Reaction Score
My favorite was his improvised Aladdin voice. Disney needed to reanimate many scenes to fit his hilarious vocalizations. May he find peace and joy in comedy heaven.

Reaction Score
I could never understand why people who have everything going for themselves would turn to drugs. I truly enjoyed watching Robin Williams perform; he was the best.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
One of my favorite routines of his is the invention of golf.... check it out on youtube..... he is hilarious.

IMO Williams' funniest riff - GOLF

Not just a comic genius but an accomplished actor. I can't think of a Robin Williams movie that I didn't enjoy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I could never understand why people who have everything going for themselves would turn to drugs. I truly enjoyed watching Robin Williams perform; he was the best.
A lot of people who have trouble with depression (or other things like manic-depressive, etc) self medicate.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
he showed the world that he was much more than a comic. RIP. A truly sad day.
He actually was a classically trained actor. Attended Julliard on a scholarship and was accepted in to John Houseman's advanced program. So he was actually "also a comedian".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom